R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-09-2003, 06:54 PM   #5431
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by AE Racer
I getting some foam tires for my ntc3 and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions. I'm currently running on a black top surface that is very smooth and pretty clean (not running on a prepared track right now) it is older black top though so it is a little rougher than new asphalt (not bumpier, just grayer in color and a little bit granier). Im thinking of getting Jaco nitro shoes 26mm 40 shore fronts and 30mm 40 shore rears (do I need the ones with a 2 deg offset?). I know people usually run rubbers on unprepared surfaces, but I tried a set of foams that were meant for electric on it and they hooked up great. I can also get foams from HK much cheaper than I can get wheels, rubber tires, and inserts, so they seem like the way to go.
I use 40 front and rear. once in a while i do use 35 though. you do not need the offset, however in some cases, like what i had to do, was dremel a little of the hub carrier where the ball is because the wheel does hit the hub a tad bit. if you dont want to dremel that little bit then get the offset. i use nitro shoes.
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:13 PM   #5432
Tech Addict

Thanks, Im going to go with 40's front and rear because that seems like what most people reccomend. If you went with the offset then you'd have to screw the piviotballs in farther to get a 200mm width, right? I guess that could be a good thing though because the threads of the balls will have more contact with the plastic of the arms, and that will make them less likely to be pushed in in a collision.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 PM   #5433
Tech Adept

ya...those 40 shore nitro shoes worked really great on asphalt specially when treated...your car is going to be like a magnet stuck on the track....and you would just pull that throttle trigger with out losing traction...
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:13 AM   #5434
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Ok, I was thinking of getting into Nitro sedan, and the NTC3 seems to be the car to race with. I have NO Nitro experience what so ever, so I was thinking of getting either an RTR NTC3(and then threaded shocks, tires, ect.), or the NTC3 TEAM KIT, and going from there. Would the RTR's .15 be race-worthy/legal engine for racing? What is the easiest route to take in my shoes?

Thanks
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:07 AM   #5435
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you want a kit car, send me an email through the profile option. I have both (side, and rear) kits for you.
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:58 AM   #5436
Tech Adept

Bubbles, go ahead and get the rear exhaust team kit. It is well worth it instead of getting the RTR. You will be spending just as much money to make the RTR as good as the team kit. Most of our racing areas do not allow the .15's as a legal race engine for the 12 touring class. Our sanctioned ROAR races only allow 3 port .12 engines.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #5437
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Bubbles,

A: with your mad l33t skilz you're gonna be out of novice quickly - and then the 15 is not going to be legal except for outlaw and it's WAY outclassed for that.

B: purchasing the RTR and then the 2-speed, shocks, etc. that come with the kit will make this one very expensive car.

Since I pretty much figure you already have servos, I know you have a controller, then those won't help you out (they're all stock anyway and suck).

So - get the kit, get a good motor, get the blade front-sway-bar and the rear sway-bar, get "TheFix" from BMIracing.com (you can email him and pay through paypal) and replace all the tie-rods with Lunsfords. (You don't actually need to do anything but the kit and the sway bars, but TheFix and the Lunsfords will make the thing pretty much bombproof - Boomerproof anyway. . . )

Where you planning to run it?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #5438
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to frank13
Talking

hey guys

doesnt the rtr come with an .12 engine ,,, the gt has a .15 ,, but associated put a .12 in teh ntc3 to make it legal for racing ,

frank13 .
frank13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:57 AM   #5439
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

You're right. I just looked at the AE site and it does say the RTR has a .12.

But if you want to race, I'd still get the kit, assemble it yourself, get the good parts with it (threaded shocks, 2-speed, etc) and get a good motor rather than the AE one, which is "okay" but not really a good race motor.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:54 PM   #5440
Tech Fanatic

I am in the same boat as Bubbles, new to nitro. I bought the rtr simply because it came with the motor. I just pulled the treaded shocks off my tc3 and bought a 2 speed. As much problem as I am having getting it tuned I dont know if I would want to deal with a real engine. Everyone I talke to said you might as well flame out a coulple of $80 engines first. By the way the rtr has a restictor i the carb. Should I pull it out. Also if you do get the rtr and buy a 2 speed, just piece one together. The gearing is not even close to what it seems everone is running. I just used Barry Bakers set up as far as suspenion goes and the car worked really well the first time out. That is when I could get it to idle long enough to get up on the drivers stand!
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:02 PM   #5441
Tech Adept

You really hit the nail on the head.....RTR engine is just what you get.....a real racing engine is not that difficult to tune. Believe me, I started out the same with the HPI stuff a very long time ago. I quickly switched engines and what a difference. Spent alot more money than if I had started out with a kit and learned my lesson the hard way. I assure you that we are not wasting our breaths, but speaking from experience.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:12 PM   #5442
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't want to say too much, but if Bubbles or the other fellow want more info, just email me.
#1 car is rear exhaust kit, Sirio .12 rear exhaust, RD ogics pipe, blue aluminum shaft, rx pack, front & rear sway bars, and 2 NEW Fixes in pack.
#2 car is side exhaust kit, Collari Inotek racing engine, front & rear sway bars, fixes installed, and rx pack.
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:28 PM   #5443
Tech Fanatic

I was actually told the rtr was easier to tune! Oh well hopefully I can bum some help the next time I am out. Otherwise I reallly like the car. So what enigine is the easiest to get up and running for a newbie?
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #5444
Tech Adept

OS motors in my experience are extremely easy to tune
and they hold their very well. Down side is OS dont seem to
have that much power up top
but for the most part i would recomend the kit anyday over
the rtr, cause eventually you will upgrade the rtr to kit form and if you buy the kit when something breaks you will have a much better idea of how to fix it efficiently
good luck
sbmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:48 PM   #5445
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Los1Fan
ya...those 40 shore nitro shoes worked really great on asphalt specially when treated...your car is going to be like a magnet stuck on the track....and you would just pull that throttle trigger with out losing traction...
hey Los1Fan,or anyone else who knows what do u treat foam tires with ? for better traction thx in advance
NitroNutt is offline   Reply With Quote