R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2003, 09:20 PM   #4651

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I call em like I see them!! You'll never hear me say you can't drive or you don't know how to build a kit! LOL If the car can't take my driving or lack of skills I will make it take it! The car has issues, but they can be over come!
I'm 45 years old, a gas and diesel engine blueprinter and engine rebuilder for over 25years.
I know what works and what don't work with the car, been there done that!
I come here to help, but with all the BS here sometimes its very hard to return!
Thanks Gemballa 750! Bob
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:41 PM   #4652
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
The 2.0 is the new style and it's 190mm. The 2.1 is the new body but 200mm. The old Stratus doesn't have a number (or implicitly 1.0).
agreed
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:44 PM   #4653
Tech Addict

Default Re: How are you guys keeping your ntc3 running for more than 5 minutes?

Quote:
Originally posted by rcpilot
...and the cvd's twist when running a spool not even hitting a single thing.
With a spool you should run the rtr dogbones or universals(what ever theyre called.) Barry Baker runs them when he runs a spool the are supposed to be stronger than cvds and can handel the extra stress caused by a spool diff.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:10 AM   #4654
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Lythion
Default Easy diff adjustment

I have not seen this posted anywhere including other boards and the AE "Complete Tuning Guide" so I thought that I'd pass it along. I noticed when building my kit that the 5/64 hex key that comes with the kit has a shorter end than the others. I had purchased a nice driver set and set aside the keys that came with the kit and didn't give the odd short guy another thought. After several weekends I needed to make a diff adjustment and dreaded the idea of pulling the diff out. I thought that if only I had a hex key with a short end I could stick in the end of the outdrive and turn the other wheel to make the necessary adjustment. Then I remembered that one of the keys was shorter than normal. Sure enough, it just fit between the end of the CVD and the outdrive. Its a little work to get the key to seat but you'll know it when it happens. Hope this helps you guys out on the track.
Lythion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:42 AM   #4655
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default Re: Easy diff adjustment

Quote:
Originally posted by Lythion
I have not seen this posted anywhere including other boards and the AE "Complete Tuning Guide" so I thought that I'd pass it along. I noticed when building my kit that the 5/64 hex key that comes with the kit has a shorter end than the others. I had purchased a nice driver set and set aside the keys that came with the kit and didn't give the odd short guy another thought. After several weekends I needed to make a diff adjustment and dreaded the idea of pulling the diff out. I thought that if only I had a hex key with a short end I could stick in the end of the outdrive and turn the other wheel to make the necessary adjustment. Then I remembered that one of the keys was shorter than normal. Sure enough, it just fit between the end of the CVD and the outdrive. Its a little work to get the key to seat but you'll know it when it happens. Hope this helps you guys out on the track.

ya know,You're right..I never even looked at those wrenches...

Now thats an observant RC guy..

that was a goodcall
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:08 AM   #4656
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Does any know if, the traxxas nitro 4 tec ball diff would work in the ntc3? I like on the 4 tec's diffs have the external adjustment w/o taking out the axle?

Lythion: does your tip work well, if you need to center diff to tighten it down then loosen it up w/o hitting the arms?
Thanks Jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #4657
Tech Adept

The traxxas nitro 4 tec ball diffs are completely different from the AE NTC3 ball diffs. There is no way to fit a n4tec diff in a ntc3.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:21 AM   #4658
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I thought that the NTC3 instructions included showing how to use the supplied 5/64" wrench to adjust the diff.

Maybe I'm so used to doing it that I thought the instructions said that you can. Anyway it's real easy to do but you need to be careful when turning the wheel because of the extra leverage you can get by turning the wheel to adjust the diff. Doing it this way eliminates the need to take any thing apart.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:27 AM   #4659
Tech Initiate

JS: I am not sure what you are asking about centering the diff.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:31 AM   #4660
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
Hmm, RC Pilot, you sound like me a year or so ago! The brgs. from Ae really suck, I have more outer wheel brg. trouble than any other brgs. Buy real good quality brgs, change to MIP shiny cvds, and the newer, white Ae diff gears. Do maintance and relube on the diffs every 10 to 15 runs on them I also use Smeltz and Richey power and the xtra HP does work the car really hard. We run 10 to 20 min. mains every week with the car and have very little trouble. Don't listen to all you hear on here about people never having any problems with the car. They either bench race it or take it out on a parking lot and play once and awhile.
The car does have some issues but it's one of the best cars on the market today, speed wise! It's a bitch and I know you have been here for sometime but read through all the post, especially mine if you want to fix the car! And if you like the car and decide to stay with it, buy the new BMI chassis, its expensive but the benefits is well worth it!
Thanks for the advice. I am not having any problems at all with the bearings actually. I tried both the Mip shiny cvd's and the stock blue ones and the Mip ones are snapping right at the diff end and the blue ones are twisting. I will give the rtr axles a try. This car is just falling apart on me while running on the track not hitting a single thing. . I'm running the white gears on the spool and so far I haven't stripped that one for a couple months but the grey ones on the rear are. I temped the rear diff case at 140* after about 5 minutes of running. The shimming is right too, very little play on the ring and pinion but still spins smooth. Would adding grease to the rear diff case help with the problem?
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:33 AM   #4661
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default Re: Easy diff adjustment

Quote:
Originally posted by Lythion
Now THERE is some useful information. Thanks
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:08 AM   #4662

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

yep sure is, well my 2 speed just stopped shifting yesterday, im not sure what happened. I was running it testing out some new engine mods, and it shifted once and then stopped, locked up in 1st. I just pulled it apart and cleaned everything out, relubed it, and out it back together. I'll let u know if I find out what the culprit was, but ne ideas?
Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 AM   #4663
Tech Initiate

You could have picked up a rock in the 2 speed bell.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:37 AM   #4664

well its still not shifting.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:11 PM   #4665

got it to shift