Search
Like Tree2Likes

Rc10ntc3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: 2 speed

Originally posted by highwayman
gearing and 2nd gear engagement depends on the track you're running in... maximizing the 1st gear out of a corner and shifting to 2nd as either RPM tops out or as needed on the faster corners or straight.
I still can't get used to the 'silence' of the 2-speed shifting. Infact, I'm not even sure it is shifting. My RTR engine runs extremely hot. With 36c ambient, I had it up to 140c easy (that's bad, I know). The 2-speed clutch shoes seems to have warped and has become uneven. What could be causing this? I think its stuck in 2nd gear. I've loosened the 2-speed bearings and I'm now at 3 turns on the screws.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: 2 speed

Originally posted by Morpheus2be
I still can't get used to the 'silence' of the 2-speed shifting. Infact, I'm not even sure it is shifting. My RTR engine runs extremely hot. With 36c ambient, I had it up to 140c easy (that's bad, I know). The 2-speed clutch shoes seems to have warped and has become uneven. What could be causing this? I think its stuck in 2nd gear. I've loosened the 2-speed bearings and I'm now at 3 turns on the screws.
who put the 2 sp in the car?...BTW,most of the RTR engines all run around 250 to 280.....(F).....what makes a diffrence in engine wear is not temp,but amount AND quality of the oil in the fuel....
Old 06-12-2003, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Guys, I'm stuck with the setups.

Track I'll be racing this weekend is a smooth asphalt mid size track.
+30C outside temperature with humidity almost like I'm sitting in a sauna. (+80%)
Track is wet all the time with no foam marks.
No traction at all.

I tried the crystal park setup from rc10.com.

My car is sliding like it's on a ice.
All balanced out though.

Should I go for real soft spring? or 35 tires all around would help?
Or new Hong Kong setup might work?

Any comment will be appreciated.

I'll post the result after the race.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ntc3_baker_2001_crystalpark.pdf (59.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 06-12-2003, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

This is Hong Kong setup Barry Baker used after it rained during practice.

Thing is I can't get a solid axle in time for the race.
Only either oneway or diff will do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ntc3_barry_hongkongp_2002.pdf (56.1 KB, 212 views)
Old 06-12-2003, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fastharry
what size is your reciever?...I have a Futaba PCM,(which is not small,its a med size reciever),the optional Futaba on off switch(with the charging jack,and all the wiring that entails),AND the AMB transponder wiring in the box...
I have the XRS3i JR Racing radio. I'm not sure if the reciever is small or med size. i do have a little room around the edge where the reciever goes in. but my reciever battery and my tranponder cords are long. i tried to zip tie them and put them in the pack, but its a very tight fit and i dont want to squash anything and have radio problems.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by alucard13
any of you guys with the rd logics pipe, can you send a pic so i can see how you have it set up? email or here would be fine.

[email protected]
The pipe is very similar to the dual chamber pipe from AE. Except that it is slightly shorter. So, you will need to bent the provided- metal rod. This is the critical part, give yourself enough clearance from the fuel tank and adjust the pipe such that it does not knock against the engine heat sink nor the chassis.
The pipe works great! In fact after using it, I eliminated engine problem and I have not change my OS turbo glow plug for more than 3 weeks.(of course, I am not going for races).
Do not under estimate the power of this pipe.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by mave
The pipe is very similar to the dual chamber pipe from AE. Except that it is slightly shorter. So, you will need to bent the provided- metal rod. This is the critical part, give yourself enough clearance from the fuel tank and adjust the pipe such that it does not knock against the engine heat sink nor the chassis.
The pipe works great! In fact after using it, I eliminated engine problem and I have not change my OS turbo glow plug for more than 3 weeks.(of course, I am not going for races).
Do not under estimate the power of this pipe.
thanx for the tip. did you notice any temp changes in your engine after installing the pipe? did it run cooler?
Old 06-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

what size is your reciever?...I have a Futaba PCM,(which is not small,its a med size reciever),the optional Futaba on off switch(with the charging jack,and all the wiring that entails),AND the AMB transponder wiring in the box...
Hmm...maybe if I remembered to type something...hehe.

I'm using the R113F(medium size) that came with my Futaba 3PDF that I got over 3 years ago. I can fit that, the wiring from both servos, the wiring from the battery, the wiring from my AMB PT, AND the wiring to and from the KO electronic switch into the box. It's a tight fit, but it all does fit, and I can even still get at my crystal to change frequencies.
Attached Thumbnails Rc10ntc3-dscn1129-small.jpg  
Old 06-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by rcruv
This is Hong Kong setup Barry Baker used after it rained during practice.

Thing is I can't get a solid axle in time for the race.
Only either oneway or diff will do.
the setup sheet shows him running a one way, and check it out, he's running the RTR driveshafts in front. Maybe those are strong enough to withstand bending when running a one way.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what's up speedydave. What did you give up offroad for onroad? didn't see you last weekend at the offroad. Did you race the trophy on road instead? Hope to see you at the Duel under Diablo
Old 06-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Didn't give anything up, didn't go to either. I will be at the Duel, but probably just kickin' back and racing hack-spec, and taking lots of pictures. Did you pick up an X5 yet? I really want to race onroad, but I've been hearing that most of the races at Delta are pretty empty, and it's tough to get out to San Jose or Fremont(there is a track out there, right?) when you don't have a license.

Your comment about the front driveshafts on Barry Baker's car has me wondering, what is different between the RTR and the kit driveshafts? Are the RTR's shafts steel? Hmm...
Old 06-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 speed

who put the 2 sp in the car?...BTW,most of the RTR engines all run around 250 to 280.....(F).....what makes a diffrence in engine wear is not temp,but amount AND quality of the oil in the fuel....
The 2-speed came pre-installed at the LHS. I went thru the 2-speed assembly manual. I regret I didn't do it myself. I'll take it apart later today and rebuild it.

btw, I use Blue Thunder.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 speed

Originally posted by Morpheus2be
The 2-speed came pre-installed at the LHS. I went thru the 2-speed assembly manual. I regret I didn't do it myself. I'll take it apart later today and rebuild it.

btw, I use Blue Thunder.

Make sure they adjusted the 2289 set screws the way the manual says....I would turn the adjustment screws in more then the book says..this way you know its starting in first..go to a long area and start backing them out a little at a time..it will shift..

trust me,it may shift quick and silent,but you WILL notice the rpm drop when it does...and once it's shifted a few times its easier to notice..

BTW,I don't care for BT..if you HAVE to run it,get the race formula..at least that has decent oil protection..
Old 06-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by speedydave
Hmm...maybe if I remembered to type something...hehe.

I'm using the R113F(medium size) that came with my Futaba 3PDF that I got over 3 years ago. I can fit that, the wiring from both servos, the wiring from the battery, the wiring from my AMB PT, AND the wiring to and from the KO electronic switch into the box. It's a tight fit, but it all does fit, and I can even still get at my crystal to change frequencies.
WOW! that looks good. I am going to play around with mine and see what i can get done
Old 06-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

Is it true that in order to have a 2 speed tranny you have to have a 3 channel radio?

i heard that from somebody i dont remember who, but they said it wont shift into 2nd gear with out a 3 channel radio..... is this true.

i would like to know becasue my b-day is on the 22 of june, and i am going to buy a 2 speed but i dont have a 3 channel radio. soi might just have to buy the mx-3 by airtronics, which i hope i get anyway.

any help would be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.