R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-30-2002, 05:45 AM   #421
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Woody.....looks like you had a great day yesterday at the track. Really making me want to come down there to put some laps on my car. Unfortunately, I couldn't even get one tank through mine yesterday since I had to go into work. (Surprise surprise........)

Anyway, just out of curiousity what are you guys using to clean your cars with? I was going to use denatured alchohol and an air compressor. Is there anything that I shouldn't let the alchohol hit or can it pretty much be sprayed everywhere?
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:38 PM   #422
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I know you have probably talked about this a million times already, but what are you using in placve of this P.O.S. front bumper. sorry to beat a dead horse but I havn't seen anything on this thanks Ron
Z Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:11 AM   #423
Tech Adept

I think some people are just using the foam and not the Kydex plastic bumper underneath. Hopefully BRP will come out with one that mimics the electric TC3 version.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:18 AM   #424
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Woody

Hey Guys - I talked to Bud last week about doing a Nitro bumper and currently its not in his plans - so dont hold your breath.

I finally broke mine yesterday after about 30 total tanks of gas. Now its time to see what I can retro-fit. I broke the bottom piece that hugs around the front of the chassis the top is still Ok.

I have been using alcohol Mike. Denatured is supposed to be the best. I squirt everything all over. Works good - air compressor would be helpful. I did buy a can of Nitro blast (duratrax) and it works fantastic but you only get about 2 cleanings from a can for 5 bucks. But the car looks brand new after using it.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:00 AM   #425
Tech Adept

Thanks Woody. I have some denatured alcohol and bought a compressor yesterday so I should be good to go. Maybe I'll just use that Duratrax stuff for when I REALLY need a good cleaning.

So you broke your bumper yesterday? Any other parts? I tried to get some tanks through my car yesterday considering the good weather but didn't have any luck. Guess I'll try again later this week.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:01 PM   #426
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Woody,

Yeah, it looks like it is going to be a awesome race, and I'm sure you saw the list of entrants....Getting to the C main is going to be a great accomplishment. Baker, Pavdis, Lett, Tosolinni, a couple of pro guys from serpent....+ a whole lot more...

I figured we would have to go the the tallest gearing associated had available, it such a big track. Anyway 5 of us are coming down, 3 NTC3s and 2 Mugens....should be tons of fun.

Let me know if you have any other advice. I am now starting to by all the tuning parts for it. What setup were you using (springs, tires, shock oil)?

2 months away, I can't wait...
kansasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:45 PM   #427
Tech Initiate

All good Mike just a bumper - Everything else OK.

After re-thinking yesterday the car was realy pulling during the last half of the straight. Next time I will try down 1 tooth to get the pull to start earlier, By the time I had to hit the brakes she was still climbing.

Speaking of brakes how is anyone else setting them up. I am running drag so that I dont have to actually stab them. I am actually having trouble stabbing because it locks the tires. The brake travel is so minium on this arm from drag to full lock its hard to control the brake amount when stabbing. I have to be careful with the drag to pull back into the trigger enough to roll faster thru the corner so I dont loose to much speed. We didnt have enough traction yet to pull it like you would on carpet, after the apex.

I have some plans for a real Kydex bumper to replace the stock, I will know more in a couple of days, since my buddy Bud is not going to do one.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:34 AM   #428
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can someone explain to me what a RTU is? Seen it on a couple of websites...is it a mod engine?

Feeling kind of stoopid here
kansasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 01:59 AM   #429
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kansasracer
Can someone explain to me what a RTU is? Seen it on a couple of websites...is it a mod engine?

Feeling kind of stoopid here

ROAR legal mod engine by Motorman.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 03:05 AM   #430
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am running my brakes with minimum travel.I would say 90% to lock on the trigger and 50% with .2 delay on abs setting.High speed setting for reaction or pulse effect.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:43 PM   #431
che
Tech Regular

Transponder Mount?

Where is everbody mounting there transponders (in the body)?
I think I remember a picture of a NTC3 with a transponder mount up over the switch (to the side), kind of like the ETC3?
Was this custom made and would it be too 'bulky' and rub the side of the body?

Che
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:20 PM   #432
Tech Adept

The ones I have seen are basically a Bud's mount with a hole drilled on the end attached to the front shock tower. The transponder faces the back of the car. Here's a pic that Old Skool II posted on the HPI thread that shows what I'm talking about. Hope you don't mind Old Skool (If that's what you go by on these boards.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntc-3 tank mod_1.jpg (80.1 KB, 268 views)
Old 04-01-2002, 05:21 PM   #433

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Ok guys we made the first race of the year with the NTC3. I had trouble trying to get the rear hooked up, I fought it all day. But in the end I had it close, close enough to finish 3rd and on the lead lap, so not too bad for the first time out. Only trouble was the front bumper It got broke off the first time it hit something.
If anyone is still having troubles with the fuel tank after the lid mods, heres the cure: I bought a new serpent tank and lid, used 2 Thundertiger stand offs re drilled the chassis and counter sunk the holes added 1 tc3 rack bushing to each standoff so the offset in the bottom of the tank would clear the chassis, mounted the tank alittle more foward to clear the exhaust and retuned the engine and it worked perfect! I'm sure the CG changed but not enough to really notice The car went from 4 1/2 mins on a tank of fuel to 7 1/2 mins.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 06:26 PM   #434
Tech Initiate

I fit my personel transponder under the lid of the reciever box. Cant even tell its in the car.

Was this a legal size tank to pick-up 3 min of run time. Sounds like it is oversize by ROAR rules.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:09 PM   #435
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

woody
it is a serpent impact tank or impulse tank 75CC. This is the rework I recommended. The fuel mileage comes from the tank not blowing all the fuel out the exhaust when it vents when you let off. I have had some guys complaining they cant hardly get 5 minutes with the stock tank because of the vent design.