R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-03-2003, 06:08 AM   #4306
Tech Fanatic

Glad to help. I think the tool set is around $12-$15, it will last you forever. If you want a new set of just the steel pins, I think you'll have to contact MIP. I don't think IRS sells anything but the cushioned pins, could be wrong though. My original steel outdrives show little to no wear after a season and a half of use.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:08 AM   #4307
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

oh and about the AE hd oneway, i'm using it with the new white gears and so far so good, couple of hours on the gear and it still looks brand new( don't forget to put steath lube). I ordered mine from tower,$50, and then called AE direct and ordered the new white gears.
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:11 AM   #4308
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy Joe
FASTHARRY...

what are the ball caps that you are using?

what ball caps?...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:17 AM   #4309
Tech Fanatic

Glad to hear it fastharry. Man, if you got the Lunsford pins for the electric TC3 I can see why they wouldn't fit, I would have been upset too! I don't know what to make of the pillow ball situation, I have never gotten a set that had 3 or 4 different diameters on the shafts. I have tried titanium pillow balls from Associated, Hardcore, and TiR. I was not impressed with the AE or Hardcore products, but they didn't have issues like that. Hope they get it figured out. I'm supposed to get my Mugen balls this week, I'll see how that goes and let you know. I think I have to start by drilling my arms with a 11/64" bit (can you say bigger?). If they work out I will order a set of titanium balls from Mugen and go from there. I want to stay with titanium if I can, an 11g+ weight savings over the original steel balls.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:25 AM   #4310
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I beleive you have to drill them out to a 3/16, one bigger. I think I posted earlier to use the 11/64, sorry. Try the 11/64 first and see if that will work first. I would hate to be wrong
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 08:32 AM   #4311
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to JeffS

Quote:
Originally posted by thomasf
I tried the IRS big DAWG bones and they are stronger but I had a problem with mine. IRS uses pin cushions for the pins( very small pin surronded by plastics as opposed to metal, and what happened to mine were the small little pin works its way out from the plastic. If your not watching it carefully and let it go, the pin will cut a grove into your shock tower. $25 bucks in the trash. I called IRS and told him. He said he has been having the problem when you run a modified motor. I told him i'm running a 3 port RB x12 roar legal (not rody mod). He sent me new pins, very nice guy. I'm going to add CA when I put the new pins in. Let you know
I had the exact same problem with the IRS Big Dawg Bones, the pins came out and trashed my shock towers.

I'm running an RB X12T unmodified.

Good to hear they supported them, I'll give them a call.

Thanks!

-Jeff
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 08:53 AM   #4312
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to dvargas

i was running my car yesterday and while it wa idleing the glow plug just blew, no not failed, but litteraly shot completely out of the enigne head 5 feet in the air. i think it was not tightened fully into the head. why would this happen?

Also will you screw up your gears if they are too close together?
(the spur gear)

Now my dadgum spur gear is stripped, but i had the right mesh i am sure i did. But what other things could have caused this? It makes a loud winding noise when i excelerate about half throttle from a dead stop. and it does not seem to accelerate anywere as quick as it used to. what is the problem.???
dvargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:09 AM   #4313
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
what ball caps?...
you posted a picture of your car and i saw that you had white ball cups on your ride... was just wondering what were those... thnx
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:19 AM   #4314
Tech Regular

[/QUOTE]

I never saw a glow plug done that before. Maybe it was not tight enough. I had never seen spur gear strip because the mesh was too tight. Usually when the mesh is too tight the bearings inside the clucth bell blows. If you fly wheel is loose you car won't go any where either.
Vue Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:24 AM   #4315
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by highwayman
you posted a picture of your car and i saw that you had white ball cups on your ride... was just wondering what were those... thnx
Those do not look white, they look like the highlight yellow RPM ball cups. Just a guess FH.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:28 AM   #4316
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dvargas
i was running my car yesterday and while it wa idleing the glow plug just blew, no not failed, but litteraly shot completely out of the enigne head 5 feet in the air. i think it was not tightened fully into the head. why would this happen?

Also will you screw up your gears if they are too close together?
(the spur gear)

Now my dadgum spur gear is stripped, but i had the right mesh i am sure i did. But what other things could have caused this? It makes a loud winding noise when i excelerate about half throttle from a dead stop. and it does not seem to accelerate anywere as quick as it used to. what is the problem.???
Your glow plug problem sounds like to much compression. Try shimming the head to lower the compression or run a lower nitro content.
As for the gear problem. It could be several things from not having the correct mesh to the shaft not being true (bent or tight in the casing. Take the engine out and roll the car to find out where the problem lies (the drivetrain or gearing mesh). It could even be a bearing gone in the drivetrain or gearbox etc...
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #4317
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to dvargas

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Your glow plug problem sounds like to much compression. Try shimming the head to lower the compression or run a lower nitro content.
As for the gear problem. It could be several things from not having the correct mesh to the shaft not being true (bent or tight in the casing. Take the engine out and roll the car to find out where the problem lies (the drivetrain or gearing mesh). It could even be a bearing gone in the drivetrain or gearbox etc...
What am i looking for when i take out the engine? Well my spur gear is shot, i ordered a new one. the car has only had about 15-20 tanks through it. so could it still be the bearings? I am running 15% nitro. the plug was just a littel to loose. i think my problem was the gear mesh was off, becasue it was running it the other day and it ran fine then i when i circled the car back by me and then gunned the throttle i heard it whine really loud and the car did not grab like normal. so i think my gear mesh was off. oh well i can fix that with a new gear. Is there supposed tot be a tiny gap between the flywheel and the motor?
Could the gearing problem be if that piece that sits over the drive shaft by the spur gear is to tight could that cause the probelm?
dvargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #4318
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by thomasf
I beleive you have to drill them out to a 3/16, one bigger. I think I posted earlier to use the 11/64, sorry. Try the 11/64 first and see if that will work first. I would hate to be wrong
I'll mic them when I pick them up, won't be a problem. Also, another thing you could try on your IRS pins, get Losi's thick tire CA and try gluing them into the plastic sleeves. The thicker stuff drys slower and should allow you time to get them in place. just a thought.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #4319

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Well I kinda pushed it last weekend I went 2 weeks without greesing the thrust brg. in my K clutch. the brg. is dry but still ok. I agree you need to check it at least every race day. Man this thing is nice!
Crashed_1: How much distance between the clutch housing and and clutch shoe did you use. The manual says 0.4 to 0.7mm. If distance is too close clutch can't generate enough force, if clearance is to great , thrust brg damage can occur. Did the brg just come apart or did it break the thrust washer?
I'm just looking for some insight so I know what to look for.

I installed mine on a Sirrio and used the recommended shims,except no shim behind the collet, and mine came out at alittle over 0.6mm
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #4320
Tech Fanatic

I've never had a problem on my NTC3 Kawahara centax, but when I had my MRX-3 I had one fall apart on me. That's the only damage I have seen one sustain, the balls just fell out of the race. After that I relubed the MRX-3 everytime I raced it. I think the JP .21 I had was a little harder on it than the JP .12's I run.