R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-20-2003, 04:16 AM   #4126
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 11
That servo is brand new I only ran it twice and it won't center after turning left. I have a Hitec HS-5925MG in my TC3 so I put that in this weekend and that made a world of difference. I think I am going to stick with Hitec because I have them in all my other cars as well and have been happy.
Well how badly does it not center? And if you originally ordered the 758 and the hobby store got you the 358 instead I would take it back to them and tell you want what you ordered. Also if it's not old at all you can send it in to Airtronics. There could be something wrong with it but I'm just stating for the record that they don't center as precisely as some servos do.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:40 AM   #4127
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Okay, so I'm a sellout!

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
teh new imuplse 705,in the mag test at revelation,just touched the wall lightly,and broke the upright..and thats a real 1/10 scale onroad up right..
How can you believe a mag review that could not even get the 705 internal drive ratio correct? Take it with a pinch of salt at best. The guy was driving with a one way front diff which comes stock with the 705. I believe he even admitted that he was not accustomed to driving with 2WD rear braking. And when you slam the car on the curbs at high speed, any car will break.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 05:06 AM   #4128
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

exactly...I wasn't flaming the Impulse,Im have one also,and love the car...I was trying to bring out what you said..that anything will break,even a car with a "1/10th scale on road suspension like the Impulse has...

In fact,if you read down few posts,Old Scholl admitted he clipeed teh board at the end of a 200 ft strait..with a richey mod motor..

haw fats was THAT car going,ya think....had to be an easy 60..

trying doing that in a full size car..see what the results are...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 05:41 AM   #4129
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
I've really been loving the Futaba S9550 servos. I have them in both my Losi electric sedans and now in my Nitro TC3 as well. If memory serves, they are .11 sec with 83 oz. of torque. There are beefier servos out there for sure, but nothing beats the low profile (the case is about 3/5 the size of a standard servo) and light weight.
I had to have digital servos for my HRS 3PK, so I picked up a S9450 for my elctric TC3 this past winter and fell in love with Futaba's servos. I have been using S9451's, S9450's, and S9550's, and I am very happy with them. All high speed, all high torque, metal gears, digital, perfect centering, the list goes on & on. I have the S9451 & S9550 in my NTC3, and S9950's in my B4 & my electric TC3. The only warning I have to pass on is this, if you run nitro and you switch from analog to digital, be aware of the battery consumption. The digital servos will drain an 1100 mah reciever pack faster than you may think.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 05:50 AM   #4130
Tech Elite

and some guy called me crazy 'cause I've seen the new Serpent 700(AAA) mah packs get drained by 2 digatal Futabas in a 30 minute main....and I read the Mugen guys had the same problem..he told me no prob..run the new 800 packs...

is that why Orion is coming our with new 1200 packs?(AA)..(cause they'res no drain problem)...?

nut..you gonna try a HPI?....
Old 05-20-2003, 06:12 AM   #4131
Tech Fanatic

Yes, the Mugen guys are charging their packs every other qualifier, and before the mains, only 730 mah max from what I've seen. I can run 3-5 min qualifiers and a 15 min main without a problem, and I have a standard 1100 mah pack. I would not run it any longer than 30 min without recharging. I have never had to run a main longer than that. I would hope it would last an hour main if it had to, but it would have to be fresh off the charger.

I will stick with the NTC3 for now, I think HPI has a very nice design though. I'm sure it will do well, and it definetly will sell well, it is an HPI afterall. I am very impressed with all of the latest from the major manufacturers, I'm sure I'd be happy with the new HPI, the Team Magic car, the Mugen, the latest V1-RR version, a Yokomo, ect.. I still am on a learning curve with my driving, once I figure that out I may try something new (as a second car of course). All of my X-NTC3 buddies/new MTX-3 buddies are always ridding my back, who knows, someday they may break me. I'll wait for them to figure the car out first. I have had a MRX-3 ,and a MBX-4XR Works in the past and they where both excellent vehicles.

By the way, while we're talking about Mugen, I have a set of their pillow balls on order. I'll be installing them in my NTC3 this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:18 AM   #4132
Tech Fanatic

While we're on the subject of reciever packs, who's using Lithium Ion battaries, anyone? I have seen a few Airtronics guys using them in their M8's, and the guys at my LHS have been experimenting with them in different applications (airplanes/helicopters/boats/radios/reciever packs/ect.). They are very light, very compact, and very powerfull. But they are not cheep, and require a specific charger. Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:30 AM   #4133
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by NTC3NUT
Yes, the Mugen guys are charging their packs every other qualifier, and before the mains, only 730 mah max from what I've seen. I can run 3-5 min qualifiers and a 15 min main without a problem, and I have a standard 1100 mah pack. I would not run it any longer than 30 min without recharging. I have never had to run a main longer than that. I would hope it would last an hour main if it had to, but it would have to be fresh off the charger.

I will stick with the NTC3 for now, I think HPI has a very nice design though. I'm sure it will do well, and it definetly will sell well, it is an HPI afterall. I am very impressed with all of the latest from the major manufacturers, I'm sure I'd be happy with the new HPI, the Team Magic car, the Mugen, the latest V1-RR version, a Yokomo, ect.. I still am on a learning curve with my driving, once I figure that out I may try something new (as a second car of course). All of my X-NTC3 buddies/new MTX-3 buddies are always ridding my back, who knows, someday they may break me. I'll wait for them to figure the car out first. I have had a MRX-3 ,and a MBX-4XR Works in the past and they where both excellent vehicles.

By the way, while we're talking about Mugen, I have a set of their pillow balls on order. I'll be installing them in my NTC3 this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Funny you should mention..I just got teh Lunsford titaniums..I'm gonna try those..

how are the mugens doing at your track..does teh tc3 keep up?...
Old 05-20-2003, 06:50 AM   #4134
Tech Fanatic

Oh yeah, the NTC3 still holds it's own. It was nice to have a bigger race in town this past weekend, got to see alot more NTC3's than I thought I would. I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, I would say that half of the cars in the "A" where NTC3's. It is all 100% with the driver. As I said earlier, I'm still working on my control, my cars plenty fast enough, and it handles great. The only problem it has really is the driver. Here's a breakdown of what it took to win:

TQ & "A" main winner-Josh Cyrul 16 laps in 5 minutes
fastest laps 18 seconds +

Fastest local club racer 15 laps in 5 minutes
fastest laps 20 seconds +
(can run 19's on occasion)

Me 14 laps in 5 minutes
fastest laps 21 seconds +

I ran 2 of 3 qualifiers on Saturday, and skipped the qualifier on Sunday thinking I was a shoe in for the "B". When I got there Sunday afternoon I had been bumped 4 spots to #1 "C" main qualifier. Goes to show you how fast you can get bumped out if you don't run all your qualifiers. That's what I get for sitting on my butt in front of the TV. My real problem is that like so many other people, I have so much other stuff going on that I don't ever get practice time (literally). I don't complain though, you do what you can do with what you got, right?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:21 AM   #4135
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Swen
Well how badly does it not center?

Jon
When I come out of a left turn if I don't make sure the car is straight then it will spin out. When I hold the car in the air and turn the wheels it will center when I turn right but not return all the way to center when going left. It kind of hangs outside of the drive shaft. I am going to take it back and go with the Hitec I used this weekend because I didn't have any problems with that.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #4136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

number11
Check to see if the top side of the steering rack is rubbing, or binding with the bottom side of the front drive shaft collar. Maybe the servo-saver screw is the culprit
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:50 AM   #4137
Tech Regular

Default Bevel and Ring gears.

Anyone know how to solve the problem of the bevel and ring gears stripping out? I am using a one-way in the front and even the white gears strip out with the slightest board tap.
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #4138
Tech Adept

Default Re: Bevel and Ring gears.

Quote:
Originally posted by rcpilot
Anyone know how to solve the problem of the bevel and ring gears stripping out? I am using a one-way in the front and even the white gears strip out with the slightest board tap.
If you're using the Yokomo one-way you can try shimming it to take some of the slop out of the bevel/ring mesh. The AE HD one-way comes with the shims, but with the Yoko you'll have to find some yourself. Also, the AE HD one-way has a larger diam mounting ring for the ring gear which helps prevent it from flexing, and thus stripping. If you already have the AE HD one-way then I don't know.

I haven't tried either of the above one-ways since I've been running the original AE one-way for the last year or so and it's never stripped a gear. Folks are reporting blown bearings with the original, however. A buddy of mine was going through ring gears with the Yoko like they were candy, and the shim trick has helped.

Your mileage may vary.
seamus0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 PM   #4139
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 11
When I come out of a left turn if I don't make sure the car is straight then it will spin out. When I hold the car in the air and turn the wheels it will center when I turn right but not return all the way to center when going left. It kind of hangs outside of the drive shaft. I am going to take it back and go with the Hitec I used this weekend because I didn't have any problems with that.
Sounds like a classic case of a stripped gear... try plugging it into your receiver as a test and see if you can center it by hand where it "hangs" without hearing the servo motor turn. If your hobby shop won't take it back, crack the case and inspect the gears. The white plastic one is the week link in these servos. I think the part number for a new gear set for the 358 is 99511, but double check (I'm too lazy to look it up ). Or you can send it here for repair:
http://www.airtronics.net/faq.htm

Another thought is that since different servos are different heights, it's possible you are getting binding with one and not the other. Just a random guess.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:13 PM   #4140
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay, so I'm a sellout!

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Skool
Used to race @ Castle a couple of years back. Just got to be too many people and clashing egos down there, so I took a break. Ran up at Delta a lot (esp. off-road). Now I am checking out Lemans RC over in Fremont.
Yea, RCCAR was a real zoo last year... they started turning people away after 160 entries because it was impossible to get the mains done before it got dark. But this year the turnout is about half which is much mellower. Also they are now running at different locations every month. You should check it out again.

Also STRC in Stockton has started running nitro and it’s really laid back and a lot of fun... not to mention a 180 ft straight. Scott is talking about building a permanent track this summer.