R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #3991
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

coastaltony: I have a Venom fail-safe around here somewhere. Should I use it? Not sure if everybody runs them under racing conditions, do they?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:24 PM   #3992
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

With all of my nitro stuff I just run an FM radio, use a throttle return spring(make sure it will return the carb to idle, don't just slap one on there without making sure it works), and make sure your receiver pack always has power and that no plugs are loose. I have only had one problem EVER when a lead on my XR's plug came unsoldered(bad soldering job on my part). Since I run a throttle return spring, it just idled there instead of going WOT like I was about to do.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #3993
Tech Adept

NTC3Dvr: The RD Logics alum kit is junk as far as I am concerned. One of the shock towers was bent right out of the bag. The other cracked in the hinge pin hole during a collision with a lap car. The diff cases did bind a bit in certain spots, so I had to hand carve with a dremel them just like the AE molded ones. I have not even made up my mind on whether I should waste the time to replace the parts or just give up on the RD Logic parts. The quality of the RD Logic parts left a lot to be desired, and I imagine the replacement parts would be equally unimpressive.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:33 PM   #3994
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Speeddave, ore anyone running a slide carb, on a NTC3
What is your idea of a safe fail-safe.
(wow, two safe's in one sentence)
I have a VoneR, and it has a COOL rubber-band, but I can't seem to mount one one the NTC3
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:35 PM   #3995
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Skool
How big is the track? Does it have a long straight where you can wind out the engine?
It has a long straight, but not long enough for a nitro. The nitro wants to keep going when I'm getting to the end, probably over geared but none the less still wants to keep going. The track is tight and windy; it's an eletric track with lots of 180 and tight 90 degree turns. No sweeping turns that you can take going half throttle... I suppose its best that I get the standard pipe. If you have any other input, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:47 PM   #3996
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

shane, i dont use a failsafe, just a throttle return spring
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:11 AM   #3997
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

mr.losi- so how do you like the NTC3 so far? I'm getting ready to go and race this weekend hopefully if it doesn't rain. I'm sure I'll be very happy with the truck. I always liked the ones I had before.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:14 AM   #3998
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiloh
NTC3Dvr: The RD Logics alum kit is junk as far as I am concerned. One of the shock towers was bent right out of the bag. The other cracked in the hinge pin hole during a collision with a lap car. The diff cases did bind a bit in certain spots, so I had to hand carve with a dremel them just like the AE molded ones. I have not even made up my mind on whether I should waste the time to replace the parts or just give up on the RD Logic parts. The quality of the RD Logic parts left a lot to be desired, and I imagine the replacement parts would be equally unimpressive.

I was raaing with Chuckmando a few weeks back......we were running a BIG boarded track...we both managed,ina 30 minute main,to stay off the boards pretty much,but we both hit em in that time(pushed into,whatever).....

so I'm trying to say were are somewhat decent drivers(3rd and fourth a- main) finishes..

but,I think I rememeber him sayind,even before we started racing,he cracked the RD logics case by the screw hole....

btw,he didn't have "the fix" on the car,just the cases..which,in my opinion helps,but teh cases STILL aren't locked together...

I had the fix on my car...NO PROBLEMS(without the rd stuff)..

the shock towers don't loosen by themselves....so there's no reason to use metal cases.......they loosen because when you hit the boards,the upper camber link gets tweaked,which is held by the shock tower,and THAT eventually loosens everything up..thats why the fix is so effective..it ties everything together as a solid unit....right to the chassis.....

fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:17 AM   #3999
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by NTC3Dvr
Hey I have the RD Logics alum Kit for my NTC3 and was wondering if anyone else was having this problem with them
I have 2 complete sets of the cases and towers I will return this week from breakage it dont seem to take much of a hit before busting either the screw holes in the cases or cracking of the shock towers where the hinge pins go threw...
Those are cast pieces, and look to be poor quality. I was rather disappointed when I first saw them.
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:58 AM   #4000
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fastharry
[B]I was raaing with Chuckmando a few weeks back......we were running a BIG boarded track...we both managed,ina 30 minute main,to stay off the boards pretty much,but we both hit em in that time(pushed into,whatever).....

so I'm trying to say were are somewhat decent drivers(3rd and fourth a- main) finishes..

but,I think I rememeber him sayind,even before we started racing,he cracked the RD logics case by the screw hole....

I think only a couple of top threads stripped out of one hole. I later added a longer screw and it is holding tight. My fault though, in the main I ran with it loose, forgetting to retighten everything up, since I was more worried about running my mrx3 for the first time right before the touring main. Back to back 30 min mains. I found it very stressful, especially considering how competitive I am. I also put in a screw too long for the steering rack from underneeth the car. It caused way too much slop. Couldn't make sharp turns with any speed. Fixed this past weekend. What a difference.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:12 AM   #4001
Tech Adept

Aeon Racer: For a tight twisty track, I would recommend using the AE double baffle pipe. It adds a lot of low end grunt. Also, try running 20/24 clutchbell gears instead of the stock ones. You may also want to use the lightweight clutchbell to add a little more low end punch. And try the three shoe clutch or a two shoe with aluminum shoes. I've got my car set up like this, and it just darts through the twisty sections. Just do anything you can to make the car accellerate harder.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:51 PM   #4002
Tech Adept

Im buying a chassis soon.Im thinking about the AE harden chassis. but what would you recommend?
Yokomo_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:07 PM   #4003
Tech Fanatic

what chassis doesnt bend easily? For my HPI i bent the chassis less than a week after i got it.
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:10 PM   #4004
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by alucard13
what chassis doesnt bend easily? For my HPI i bent the chassis less than a week after i got it.
It is the magic chasis, you know the one that does not hit solid objects head on.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:37 PM   #4005
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sook
It is the magic chasis, you know the one that does not hit solid objects head on.
never hit anything head on. i kept running over the reflectors on my road tough guy.
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote