R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-13-2003, 02:42 PM   #3976
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by sook
It is however worth the money to protect the pivot balls from the front impact of boards with the RPM bumper plate.
The RPM bumper is by far the best investment you can make to save parts from breaking. I can't even begin to imagine how much I would be spending on parts if not for the RPM front bumper. My 40mph head on impact into a concrete wall (someone decided to turn on their radio without calling out a channel) wasn't as bad as it could have been because of the front bumper. I only cracked the front arm mount, bent my bumper top plate, and split my tank when my pipe was torn off the engine and slammed into the back of the tank. If not for that bumper, I may have been buying a new car.

Anyway, I have a question for those of you running the RD Logics one piece pipe for your NTC3's. I've got myself an OS .12TR, and I can't decide between the standard pipe and the turbo pipe. The turbo is supposed to be for highly tuned/high port engines. However, my OS .12TR (which has three ports if I'm not mistaken) is out gunning most of the modified 5 port engines at my LHS. The turbo pipe should provide a little more low end power, because its a bigger diameter pipe right? Or am I mistaken? Anyway, the question lies at which pipe I should get for my NTC3? I'd get both, but I'm not looking to spend $110. Thanks.
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #3977
Tech Adept

AEON,
This was explained in very simple terms to me, someone correct me if I am wrong, fat pipe means more of a torque pipe and long skinney means high end pipe.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:03 PM   #3978
Tech Fanatic

how do you all manage your throttle, steering, battery and fail safe cables inside the reciever box? I have alot of slack and its not closing all the way. any ideas?

also, where can i get fm crystals for a JR Racing XRS3i? I went to tower hobbies, but they have a ton and i'm not sure what will fit my radio and reciever.

Last edited by alucard13; 05-13-2003 at 04:16 PM.
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:49 PM   #3979
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to drive4fun

ok well i got 200$ to spend on my rtr ntc3 i would like some parts stronger than the rtr crap i already snapped the pivot balls broke an arm broke 2 hub carriers lost a screw and a nut etc.. im looking for stronger parts dont know what to go with so need help im getting the 2 speed thats all i know for now so help out tell me there are so many freakn option parts for this car i dont know what to go with my recent car has been an electric hpi and it had not many hop ups so i need help on this guys thankz
drive4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #3980
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i agree on the titaniaum pivots, the bread, just stick with the standard steel.....i love my rd pipe, it wold really work well on the tr......
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #3981
Tech Rookie

alucard13......I was having the same problems you were.......if you have a small reciever you can tuck the wire around the sides of it. It's a tight fit, but eventually, you can get it. Try not to bunch the wire up all on the top of the reciever. Also, you can zip tie some of your wiring out of the box to increase space.
Collari-Tc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:58 PM   #3982
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Hey, what all do I need to wire up a personal transponder on a nitro car? Do I just get a Y-adapter and split the battery off, one to the PT and one to the receiver?

Regarding the fitting issue, I was able to get everything inside the radio box, using a Novak XXtra receiver. I coiled up the battery wire in the gap between the receiver and the box, and then tie-wrapped the servo and switch harness wires together in the remaining gap. It's a tight fit, but it works fine.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:00 PM   #3983
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Hey, what all do I need to wire up a personal transponder on a nitro car? Do I just get a Y-adapter and split the battery off, one to the PT and one to the receiver?

Regarding the fitting issue, I was able to get everything inside the radio box, using a Novak XXtra receiver. I coiled up the battery wire in the gap between the receiver and the box, and then tie-wrapped the servo and switch harness wires together in the remaining gap. It's a tight fit, but it works fine.
my personal transponders should be here tomorow,so I'll relay the instructions....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #3984
Tech Adept

A personal transponder can be plugged into any open connection on the receiver. If there are no open spots in the receiver, you can connect it using a y cable.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:45 PM   #3985
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sook
AEON,
This was explained in very simple terms to me, someone correct me if I am wrong, fat pipe means more of a torque pipe and long skinney means high end pipe.
The RD Logics pipes look absolutely identical to each other. The only way to tell is by inspecting the badge. The Turbo is supposed to work well for turbo-plugged 5-port7-port/modified engines. The standard was designed for stock 3-ports and provides a tad more low-end. It's all up to you. How big is the track? Does it have a long straight where you can wind out the engine? FWIW, I am using the turbo pipe w/my Ritchy RTO.
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #3986

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I have both Richeys, RTU and RTO, and a RB 5 port the turbo pipe works very well on also both types of tracks for me, short and long.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:09 PM   #3987
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

futureal
The XXTra is about twice as big as an XXL.
I have XXLs in both of my NTC3s, and have to change rx crystals often. I run Ofna fail-safes, a splitter, on-off switch, per/transponders, and that little box gets filled up quickly
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:53 PM   #3988
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to NTC3Dvr

Hey I have the RD Logics alum Kit for my NTC3 and was wondering if anyone else was having this problem with them
I have 2 complete sets of the cases and towers I will return this week from breakage it dont seem to take much of a hit before busting either the screw holes in the cases or cracking of the shock towers where the hinge pins go threw I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem i have I have the lifetime warrenty so its not to bad but paying $15.00 to replace the parts is going to get old real fast at this rate.
NTC3Dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:00 PM   #3989
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Futureal
Do you have a fail-safe?
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:01 PM   #3990
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Shiloh: Thanks for the info. The XXtra has 3 extra spots so I guess I can just pop it right in there.