Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-24-2003, 07:49 PM   #3571
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
Will there be a difference if I use the white gears?

not unless you've had a problem with teh old ones..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:57 PM   #3572
Tech Addict

Default todays run

I took off today to try and tune in my 1/8 for sunday. When I got to the park I saw some of the regulars there. 2 had mtx3s. I didn't think anyone would be there besides me and simonfdr but they were there. Since they were running touring, I took out the tc3 which I had taken out some of the toe out I usually use. I had a real hard time staying with them. After 2 tanks I had enough of that. I put some more toe out back, and then it was real close. Anyones race. I was running 21/27 48/54 gearing, but they both had a big advantage on most of the straight. We were on a large track. My top end advantage was not enough to catch them, so if I didn't outdrive them in the turns I was in trouble. Oh yeah, one was using a jp mod,for sure, and I was told the other was too. I had my old rb 3port, which even after rebuild, isn't quite what it used to be.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:22 PM   #3573
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

there are suppose to be srtonger or less britle is what i'm guessing. I had to order straight from associated, nobody seems to stock them yet. I have'nt tried them yet.
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #3574
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Ilaybrk- yes the motor did show up, what type of after run did you use in there?

Yes the aluminum shoes should be good and no I don't think the MIP clutch is the way to go on aluminum shoes. If we make them the same as the AE ones they can be used on both the two and three shoe clutches. And AE makes the heavier springs for the clutch and you can tune them further by lightening them.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #3575
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default Re: todays run

Quote:
Originally posted by CHUCKMANDO
I took off today to try and tune in my 1/8 for sunday. When I got to the park I saw some of the regulars there. 2 had mtx3s. I didn't think anyone would be there besides me and simonfdr but they were there. Since they were running touring, I took out the tc3 which I had taken out some of the toe out I usually use. I had a real hard time staying with them. After 2 tanks I had enough of that. I put some more toe out back, and then it was real close. Anyones race. I was running 21/27 48/54 gearing, but they both had a big advantage on most of the straight. We were on a large track. My top end advantage was not enough to catch them, so if I didn't outdrive them in the turns I was in trouble. Oh yeah, one was using a jp mod,for sure, and I was told the other was too. I had my old rb 3port, which even after rebuild, isn't quite what it used to be.

so you basically made it a race wirth a motor that wasn't close to what they had..how is that a bad thing?

imagine if you had their motor?
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:38 PM   #3576
Tech Fanatic

Default Crazy Nut Stickers

I want some stickers too.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #3577
Tech Addict

Default Shock springs

What could be the right shock springs for a bumpy asphalt track? Currently I'm using copper front and silver rear. Shock oil is 40 wt. The car is running unsteady especially on bumpy portions of the track. The track has a long straight and I can't get to full throttle, I feel the car will flip over since its not running smoothly.

Last edited by thefuzzclub; 04-24-2003 at 09:04 PM.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:18 PM   #3578
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by thomasf
Where do you race? RC car (castle)? Have you tried the new track in Fremont, it's big and fast, and it's PERMANENT!!!!
Yeah, I've been wanting to run the NTC3 and the MRX-3 there, IF ONLY THIS D**M WEATHER WOULD LET UP!!!

It's been raining so much I can't even run my XR or 2.5 Maxx...
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #3579
Tech Fanatic

Default push

how do you all get rid of the push when power on steering out of corner?

running front one-way

front toe out 1
rear toe out 3

gearing 21/25 50/54

foam 40 shore

no sway bars.

front red rear gold springs 40 wt.

there is a U turn at my track and i have to really slow down to turn and in the mids, if i on throttle, the car will just push away from the u turn into the wall!!! wahahah

help required.

most of us are running the moo MOO now ( mugens ) i have tried them and boy it was easy to drive ... but i believe there is still some hope for this car.
fuse01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #3580
Tech Prophet

Default Re: todays run

Quote:
Originally posted by CHUCKMANDO
If anything, the Mugens should loose out to you on the straight, especially seeing that you needed to use 21/27 48/54 gearing on the NTC3... I can visualise the lenght of the track then if indeed that is the right gearing for the track. For a large track, the Mugens need hell of a screamer engine for which the JPs are pretty good at to make up for the lack in gearing.

In the mid sections and in the infields, the Mugens will tend to do better because of their better internal gearing for acceleration.

I don't think you need to be worried about the Mugens. Like what fastharry mentioned, if you had the same engines, they'll be surely eating your dust on the straights. I guess your RB 3 port is really showing it's age...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:52 PM   #3581
Tech Prophet

Default Re: push

Quote:
Originally posted by fuse01
how do you all get rid of the push when power on steering out of corner?

running front one-way

front toe out 1
rear toe out 3

gearing 21/25 50/54

foam 40 shore

no sway bars.

front red rear gold springs 40 wt.

there is a U turn at my track and i have to really slow down to turn and in the mids, if i on throttle, the car will just push away from the u turn into the wall!!! wahahah

help required.

most of us are running the moo MOO now ( mugens ) i have tried them and boy it was easy to drive ... but i believe there is still some hope for this car.
You need to play around with your front droop settings. Try and limit the front droop (i.e. from +2 to +4) in order to prevent weight transfer to the rear when on throttle.

Also, less rear toe-in would help. Try 2.5 or 2. Try to also put more negative camber in the front tires.

You might also want to try tightening the rear diff a little (assuming you're running stock rear diff).
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:56 AM   #3582
Tech Regular

my vone rr would eat all you ntc3 people up!
rrgt_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:08 AM   #3583
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to torchedlh

Quote:
Originally posted by Swen
Ilaybrk- yes the motor did show up, what type of after run did you use in there?

Yes the aluminum shoes should be good and no I don't think the MIP clutch is the way to go on aluminum shoes. If we make them the same as the AE ones they can be used on both the two and three shoe clutches. And AE makes the heavier springs for the clutch and you can tune them further by lightening them.

Jon
why not pre tap holes in the shoes for set screws that can be added/removed for changing the weight of them? with that and the adjustable springs from AE, you'd have a VERY tunable clutch.
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:51 AM   #3584
Tech Fanatic

InitialD:

Thanks

will try it out in the new track tonight.
fuse01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:23 AM   #3585
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: todays run

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
so you basically made it a race wirth a motor that wasn't close to what they had..how is that a bad thing?

imagine if you had their motor?
In rethinking about it, the engine is not that bad, but I do notice a difference from last year. But then again, alot of people though I had a mod last year. Maybe it was that speed I was used too. Anyway, I am going go one tooth down(20-26) and see what happens. I had ordered a Smeltz mod a while ago, but he is nowhere to be found these days. I may try a Murman or a Rody, if he doesn't get back to me soon, then worry about the money sent to him. Season starts next Sunday too.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote