R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-25-2003, 05:50 AM   #2986
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to deanspoors
Smile 100! Pages

The forum has reached 100 pages!! keep on posting :-)
deanspoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:57 AM   #2987
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Where do I check engine temp with a temp gun? At the base of the head, in the middle of the head or at the top of the head. It seems hottest in the middle of the head, around 200.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:02 AM   #2988
Tech Apprentice

Default Clutch Setup

I'm curious as to what clutch setup would work best. Our track size is medium with about 90 ft. straight lots of tight turns. Low to med traction, Parking lot with soda.

* 2 shoe , stock springs. holes drilled in shoes.
* 2 shoe , copper springs
* 3 shoe , drilled shoes , stock springs
* 3 shoe , copper springs
* 3 shoe , copper springs , drilled shoes

Also can anyone please let me know where exactly to drill the holes... the size of hole ....and location.

Thanks
Never Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:22 AM   #2989
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
Where do I check engine temp with a temp gun? At the base of the head, in the middle of the head or at the top of the head. It seems hottest in the middle of the head, around 200.
I usually point the gun at the glo plug and move the gun around in a criss cross pattern untill you get the hottest reading.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:35 AM   #2990
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default clutch

I have been running 3 shoe with the harder springs, forgot the color. No holes in shoes and it seems to run fine. Regular maintance keeps it running well.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:48 AM   #2991
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by CHUCKMANDO
I have been running 3 shoe with the harder springs, forgot the color. No holes in shoes and it seems to run fine. Regular maintance keeps it running well.
Cool thanks.....By regular maint. do you mean sanding shoes and bell to remove glaze

Anyone else ??
Old 03-25-2003, 09:46 AM   #2992
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Basically yes, cleaning off everything, reoiling bearings if nec, light sanding. Also note that the flywheel will be eaten away my the movement of the shoes. Depending on how much driving time, the wear will be differant. I try to change it before I have a failure. A little wear is not a problem, but you will see the gouge getting bigger and bigger as time goes on.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #2993
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default Re: Re: engine issue

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Barry Baker lost a race in Hong Kong late last year due to overheating of his NTC3.
I might missed that engine overheat part, but my friend from HK told me he stripped his 2-speed twice due to the problem of the light weight 2-speed clutch housing (which AE discontinued that parts immediately after).

About the T5 with NTC3, I am not sure yet, it is still too cold here in Chicago, and I haven't break in my T5 yet.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #2994
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
* 2 shoe , stock springs. holes drilled in shoes.
Why do we need to drill a holes in clutch shoes. how big is the hole? I just started this hobby about a month and still in the learning curve. Hope can someone explain to me.
hashini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:01 PM   #2995
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Drilling holes is just one way of making the clutch shoes lighter. Lighter clutch shoes and/or stiffer springs make the clutch engage at a higher RPM. This gets the engine into it's powerband when the clutch engages. Engines can overheat or seem to perform sluggishly when the clutch engages too soon or too late.

Oh, and it's not necessary to drill holes but a lot time you can gain performance when you tune your clutch.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:30 PM   #2996
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by hashini
Why do we need to drill a holes in clutch shoes. how big is the hole? I just started this hobby about a month and still in the learning curve. Hope can someone explain to me.
go to page #52 of this thread. NTC3NUT explains and shows how to do it.
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:09 PM   #2997

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Fast Harry! I never at no time said I hate this car! I helped start this forum! I damn sure ain't leaven! I fixed my car and was trying to help other people with the same troubles.
You also said you never had gear troubles, but when you heard the new gears were out, you were the first one on the band wagon here posting about how to get them? Yea no gear trouble!
Why would I want to call AE and asked about the problems? They would just blow smoke up my ass like you are trying to do!
How come under all your signatures I fail to see the quote, "Your an Arrogant ASS"? That should be there, man! ENOUGH SAID!!!! BB
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:14 PM   #2998
Tech Apprentice

hi ntc3nut
i was wonderin if the clutch mod of yours thats on page 52 would work on the standard 2 shoe clutch with stock springs.
mugen_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:50 PM   #2999
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Yes it will. The concept is the same...just the number of shoes is different. I ran the the 2 shoe clutch for 3 months now with the clutch shoes shaved (another lightening method). My clutch just finally started slipping so I'm going to put the 3 shoe flywheel and shoes in that I've had sitting around since day 1.

Last edited by rod_b; 03-25-2003 at 04:49 PM.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 04:34 PM   #3000
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to drive4fun

Hello Allz,
This is really getting on my nerves everyone here is starting to fight for one stupid reason... I look over and read this forum because i will be getting my ntc3 rtr im a newbie to nitro so i want a jump start so see the issues etc.. and i come and see all of this arguement i thought this was meant to help people out with there problems they cant solve... or new things coming out what are good and what are bad... Just stop this verbal abuse and if you buy the car dont give negative feedback on it i know its one of the top best cars out there for a very good price and you dont have to make it look like crap... aight so if there is some bad stuff about it say it but dont make a big discussion and then saying the mtx3 is much better ok guys later
cheers
drive4fun is offline   Reply With Quote