R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-27-2003, 06:24 AM   #2641
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ntc3dvr

ntc3dvr question , one of your club menbers (norman) has that
mod. air filter. on his tc3 has he seen a difference in performance with it or is it for show
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:10 AM   #2642
Tech Regular

I need opinions from people who owns multiple nitro TCs (e.g; fastharry). I own an Impulse Pro, I know how it handles. I can push it to the limits. I know how to set it up just the way I like it. I drive with front one-ways and no rear stabilizer bars. I'm equally proficient with rubber or foam tires.

Now, I want to learn something new....but I'm also looking for a platform where I can improve my skills.

If I made the switch to an NTC3, would there be a lot of catching up for me to do? Are there fundamental differences in the handling chracteristics of the NTC3 that would make it a different drive altogether than my Impulse?

I'm contemplating another car and the V-One-RR is right there near the top of my list, but it uses a 3-belt system similar to my Impulse and while the design geometry may be different, the handling characteristics might not be too far off. I heard Kyosho might be releasing a shaft version of the V-One-R/RR soon.

Which is where the NTC3 comes in. Its a proven shaft design...and its available NOW. Unfortunately, I can't test drive it.

You know how some people drive a certain way and they've become used to the way a certain car handles. Well, I'd like to know if the NTC3 can be a different driving experience (as compared to the usual belt driven cars).

I've had some experience driving electrics and I love the acceleration, but not the precise handling that it requires. With my Impulse, I can afford to drive aggressively and still maintain control.

How would you all describe handling an NTC3, especially after your experiences with other belt driven cars e.g; Impulse, V-One-R/RR, Reflex etc.?

Did you regret making the switch?

Have you discovered a whole new chapter to add to your driving skill repertoire?

Do you think you'll ever go back to belt driven cars?

Do you wish you could combine the strenghts of your previous belt cars with the strenghts of the NTC3 platform?

Is there anything about the NTC3 that you wish could just be more like your previous car?

All opinions welcome.

tq
Morpheus2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:46 PM   #2643
Tech Master

I have driven many different cars. Like any new car it will take time to adjust to the cars driving style. I find that all cars can have different set ups to be suited to a certain driving style. I have 2 Yokomo's (one heavily modified and one box standard) and both have very different set ups to handle how I want them.

So regardless of which car you buy or try it will handle totally different than the next car and will possibly require a totally different set up.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 PM   #2644
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus2be
I need opinions from people who owns multiple nitro TCs (e.g; fastharry). I own an Impulse Pro, I know how it handles. I can push it to the limits. I know how to set it up just the way I like it. I drive with front one-ways and no rear stabilizer bars. I'm equally proficient with rubber or foam tires.

Now, I want to learn something new....but I'm also looking for a platform where I can improve my skills.

If I made the switch to an NTC3, would there be a lot of catching up for me to do? Are there fundamental differences in the handling chracteristics of the NTC3 that would make it a different drive altogether than my Impulse?

I'm contemplating another car and the V-One-RR is right there near the top of my list, but it uses a 3-belt system similar to my Impulse and while the design geometry may be different, the handling characteristics might not be too far off. I heard Kyosho might be releasing a shaft version of the V-One-R/RR soon.

Which is where the NTC3 comes in. Its a proven shaft design...and its available NOW. Unfortunately, I can't test drive it.

You know how some people drive a certain way and they've become used to the way a certain car handles. Well, I'd like to know if the NTC3 can be a different driving experience (as compared to the usual belt driven cars).

I've had some experience driving electrics and I love the acceleration, but not the precise handling that it requires. With my Impulse, I can afford to drive aggressively and still maintain control.

How would you all describe handling an NTC3, especially after your experiences with other belt driven cars e.g; Impulse, V-One-R/RR, Reflex etc.?

Did you regret making the switch?

Have you discovered a whole new chapter to add to your driving skill repertoire?

Do you think you'll ever go back to belt driven cars?

Do you wish you could combine the strenghts of your previous belt cars with the strenghts of the NTC3 platform?

Is there anything about the NTC3 that you wish could just be more like your previous car?

All opinions welcome.

tq
I've talked with other NTC3 drivers who have switched from belts (I switched from a Yok GT4) and it seems to be somewhat clear that the NTC3 drives different than any of the belt-drive cars. Some people like it (Me) and some don't - I talked to a guy last week who moved to the Mugen because it drives like he is used to (he moved from GT4 to V1R to NTC3 to Mugen).

He compared it to driving an electric - very positive, very punchy and very linear, as opposed to the very "pitchy" characteristics of his belt-drive cars. He was used to pitching his car and couldn't get used to the NTC3 - note that he praised the car very highly, was only switching because he couldn't get comfortable with the driving style.

So, if you don't like the aggressive handling, I don't think you would enjoy the NTC3.

My main class is Pro10, probably the most aggressive handling cars (maybe barring the 1/12 or 1/8th. . .maybe. . .nah! ) so I LOVE my NTC3. When I turn the wheel it feels, to me, like it's already turning asking where I want to go today. It feels like a natural progression from my electric cars.

I haven't regretted it for more than 1/10th of a second (I feel that 1/10th second is appropriate for an 1/10th scale car. . . )

It's too bad that you can't find one to drive, although if you buy it and don't like it, you should be able to get a decent price on ebay. . .
Old 02-28-2003, 07:43 AM   #2645
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FRANI, Did you get a chance to test the pipe. If so how did it go. I already have one on preorder

Nut, I went back but I didn't see it. Did you ever list the items you used for the rear toe fix.

Boy, it sux in the east. Only good thing is I am finding more things wrong with my car than I thought. Alot of wrenching going on.

Thanks
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:11 AM   #2646
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Anyone know a place to run Nitro Sedans in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area? Going to the Cactus and I want to bring my nitro with me.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:30 AM   #2647
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

Cactus (SRS) is the place to run Nitro Sedans. Unfortunetly, when you are there they will be pitting on the onroad track, so you probably won't get a chance to run your car. You could run nitro oval, but IMO that's a waste of a good TC. None the less, have fun at the Cactus Classic.
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:15 PM   #2648
Tech Fanatic

Default Rear Toe Fix

Ok guys, here goes:

- (2) 1.25" Lunsford Punisher titanium turnbuckles
- (1 pkg.) C0502 Mugen 3mm threaded captured ball studs
- (1 pkg.) C0111C Mugen captured rod ends
- (2) 3mm x 20mm cap head screws (I used Du-Bro)
- (2) 3mm x 18mm cap head screws (I used Du-Bro)
- (4) 3mm aluminum locknuts (I used GS brand)

Use a 1/8" drill bit to drill thru the rear bumper where the ball studs mount. Also use the 1/8" drill bit to ream out the captured rod ends for the over sized Punisher turnbuckles. Do both of these by hand in order to avoid overdoing it. You will also have to remove the "lip" on the back of the rear bumper for clearance of the captured rod ends, use a Dremel or hacking tool of your choice. I think that's it, if I left anything out, or you guys have any other questions let me know.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:06 PM   #2649
Tech Apprentice

Talking MY NTC3

Just thought everyone would like to take a look at my NTC3! Mugen MT-12 rear exhaust motor, all graphite, custom battery holder, Z-speed blue head, waiting on my K-factory right side chassis plate from ebay! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0004.jpg (65.5 KB, 183 views)
SupraSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:19 PM   #2650
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default Re: Rear Toe Fix

Quote:
Originally posted by NTC3NUT
Ok guys, here goes:

- (2) 1.25" Lunsford Punisher titanium turnbuckles
- (1 pkg.) C0502 Mugen 3mm threaded captured ball studs
- (1 pkg.) C0111C Mugen captured rod ends
- (2) 3mm x 20mm cap head screws (I used Du-Bro)
- (2) 3mm x 18mm cap head screws (I used Du-Bro)
- (4) 3mm aluminum locknuts (I used GS brand)

Use a 1/8" drill bit to drill thru the rear bumper where the ball studs mount. Also use the 1/8" drill bit to ream out the captured rod ends for the over sized Punisher turnbuckles. Do both of these by hand in order to avoid overdoing it. You will also have to remove the "lip" on the back of the rear bumper for clearance of the captured rod ends, use a Dremel or hacking tool of your choice. I think that's it, if I left anything out, or you guys have any other questions let me know.

are those std lunsford buckes or the super duty ones that art thicker(like the std tc3)...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:57 PM   #2651
Tech Fanatic

"Punishers" are the thicker turnbuckles, 3.5mm vs. 3mm, I believe. BTW, I did find the reverse threaded nuts if anyone wants them, thanks to a lead from Data on the "Ask Barry" thread. Only problem is that they're $5.42 each, and that's for the cheeper plated steel nuts.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:08 PM   #2652
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

so you used the thicker ones...any part # on those..lunsford doesn't have any on his web site..

BTW..I got the fix for the shock towers..

this has to be the BEST thing you can buy for this car..

I would HIGHLY recommend this as a must have for the tc3...

My gears came in the mail today..they sure are white..but look nice.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:12 PM   #2653
Tech Fanatic

I don't have any part numbers, my LHS just orders both sizes in various lengths, and sells them individually. I will ask them tommorrow and see if they have one. I am still waiting on my new gears, new HD one-way, and RD Logics pipe (as soon as it's available). And yes, "The Fix" is a pretty sweet set-up, well worth the money.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #2654
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Craig

When you get a chance post some pics. I have a whole box of mugen parts but no part numbers.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:41 AM   #2655
Tech Fanatic

Here's one photo assembled, you should be able to ID the Mugen parts from it. They are the captured steering link ends used on the MRX-3 & MTX-3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toelinkmod2 001.jpg (60.1 KB, 157 views)