Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-01-2003, 04:25 PM   #2251
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: rear toe link

Quote:
Originally posted by deanspoors
could someone explain this to me please! why dont ntc3 racers like the toe link at the rear? whats so good about the pivot ball setup? nothings ever went wrong with mine! ,dean
I LIKE the rear toe link. I've replaced the tie rods with Lunsford titanium ones.

I actually DON"T like the one like the GT-4, LD3, etc. I think they're more complicated to set up - change the toe and you have to worry about camber. . .not so much with the NTC3 setup.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:51 PM   #2252
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: rear toe link

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
I LIKE the rear toe link. I've replaced the tie rods with Lunsford titanium ones.

I actually DON"T like the one like the GT-4, LD3, etc. I think they're more complicated to set up - change the toe and you have to worry about camber. . .not so much with the NTC3 setup.
On cars like the Xray, V1R, MTX3 etc etc you would have to make a HUGE toe change to affect the camber in any meaningful way. It may alter it by 0.1 degree or so but thats it. I have never had any problems setting camber with my double pin cars. You can set toe freely without any problems.

With the NTC3 setup you will have to watch out that the toe in/out does not change due to a rear "bump steer" effect. I doubt it will affect it really tho (I dont own a NTC3)

Last edited by AMGRacer; 02-01-2003 at 07:14 PM.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:01 PM   #2253
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: Re: Re: rear toe link

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
On cars like the Xray, V1R, MTX3 etc etc you would have to make a HUGE toe change to affect the camber in any meaningful way. It may alter it by 0.1 degree or so but thats it. I have never had any problems setting camber with my double pin cars. You can set toe freely without any problems.

With the NTC3 setup you will have to watch out that the toe in/out does not change due to a rear "bump steer" effect. I doubt it will affect it really tho (I dont own a NTC3)
going a degree in by turning the front pivot ball in is going to change the camber and the track because you've taken the bottom of the wheel IN and not compensated with anything.

To change the toe on a traditional pivot ball suspension you have to change the rear by turning both balls equal amounts - the front in and the rear out (to lessen toe) otherwise the track and the camber change. . .

and the same with camber changing toe and track. . . you're adjusting one vertice of a triangle which changes TWO of the edges, not one. Unfortunately the axis' you are trying to change don't line up with any of the edges and there's no adjustment along the actual axis.

With the NTC3, camber is along an axis with adjustments ON that axis. The toe adjustment is not along an axis but it has an adjustment that is directly inline with it.

This is why I like it. To adjust the camber, change the camber adjustments (I change the top only. . .keeps the track the same). To change the toe, change the toe adjustment.

And no bump steer that you wouldn't have in the front.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:33 PM   #2254
Tech Elite

Yep your theory is absolutely correct.

All I am saying is that around 0.5mm track change and around 0.1-0.3 degrees camber change does not bother me too much. I think both systems have their pros and cons.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:56 AM   #2255

Quote:

All I am saying is that around 0.5mm track change and around 0.1-0.3 degrees camber change does not bother me too much. I think both systems have their pros and cons.
It should!

I think if they are developing a new rear suspension it will be to offset the lower pivot point relative to the tire. Right now its the same as the front and great for tire wear. If it is moved in relative to the tire it will change the handling charecteristics, like losis new for the XXX-s.offset hub carriers
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:56 AM   #2256

Quote:

It should!

I think if they are developing a new rear suspension it will be to offset the lower pivot point relative to the tire. Right now its the same as the front and great for tire wear. If it is moved in relative to the tire it will change the handling charecteristics, like losis new for the XXX-s.offset hub carriers
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #2257
Tech Regular

hi all ntc3 owners, i just want to ask you whats your car settings when your using rubber tires.I have hpi x-pattern tires and im using my ntc3 on parking lot racetrack with bumps. And also where can I get a good deal on those aluminum transmission cases.
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:41 PM   #2258
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Penggoy: I race at a parking lot without a lot of bumps. With rubber tires I'm running 0 degree toe in the front, 2 degrees of camber, and 9 degrees of caster. In the back I run 2 degrees of toe and 2 degrees of camber. I've been using hpi 33r tires with yellow hard inserts. I'm doing quite well with the setup, but I've heard good things about some tires called "take-offs". I think that I'm going to give them a try.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:22 AM   #2259
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to torchedlh

i gotta check something with you guys...

persepective is from the back of the car:
the engine's flywheel/clutch shoes run CCW
the spur gear and main dirve shaft run CW

i'm just really confused, becaues right now my starter box wheel spins CCW, however i never had a problem with my FE running backwards, and i can't imagine that i chagned the polarity of any of the connections...

please help me out guys, i'm confused.
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #2260
Tech Fanatic

I recieved my parts order from RD Logics today. Thought you guys might want to take a look. I only plan on using the upper transmission cases for now, but the rest of the stuff looks good too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntc3parts.jpg (60.4 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by NTC3NUT; 02-03-2003 at 08:32 PM.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:48 PM   #2261
Tech Fanatic

what is rdlogic web address
ilaybrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:53 PM   #2262
Tech Fanatic

www.rdlogics.com
Old 02-03-2003, 03:59 PM   #2263
Tech Fanatic

cant find trans cases on there web page were did you order from
Old 02-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #2264
Tech Fanatic

Just contact them directly, that's what I had to do to get the parts early. Here's a copy of the e-mail they sent me with pricing:

"The products will arrive this Thursday and will be posted shortly after
that. Prices are $20 for the transmission case, $10 for the shock tower and
$15 for the 4 braces, the lightweight chassis (6061 T6) is $30."
Old 02-03-2003, 05:25 PM   #2265
Tech Fanatic

thanks I just talked to them but they are only selling sets for $70 trans 4 braces chassi and shock tower. not seprate