R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2002, 11:26 PM   #1996
Tech Master
 
Motorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,911
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

21/26 50/54 was faster at cincy like OB said. 48 is just to tall
__________________
Just here to give the world grief.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:19 AM   #1997
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 88
Send a message via AIM to deanspoors
Fuel line & Bodyshells

Hi i have two questions,
1. What length should the fuel line be to get optimum performance? What is everyone else using?
2. is anyone out there using a low style bodyshell like a HPI-Lola or GT-0NE and what modifacations would i need to make to fit such a shell > also any picks of the mods made for bodyshell or the bodyshell on the car would be great just to get an idea of what it would look like!
Thanx, Dean
deanspoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:26 AM   #1998
Tech Master
 
patelladragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,638
Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NTC3NUT
I don't think there are any problems with the AE dual chamber pipe. Look at AE's record on TQ runs with this set-up. None of the other manufacturers cars are any faster, reguardless of engine, gearing, or exhaust set-ups. At best they are all equal. The fastest sedan radared at our track last year was Brian Berrys Serpent, with a Salven tuned .12. The best he could muster down the straight was around 54mph, and that looked ungodly fast. Josh Cyruls 1/8 scale was doing 64-65mph and thats like a track record. We have several club racers with NTC3's & box stock MT-12's that run around 52-53mph on a regular basis, with the single chamber & dual chamber pipe. The only mods to the cars are to the stock exhaust manifolds. Everything else is gearing & clutch work. I still think these cars are awesome, at the least as good as anything else out there.
what track was Brian Berry the fastest with a salven tuned .12?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:18 PM   #1999
Tech Master
 
theRED5's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: near Athens,GA
Posts: 1,022
Default

Originally posted by herb
In February me and my friends will race at the Winternats in Ft. Myers. As we are coming over from Holland to drive the Sedan class with our NTC3's we are not sure which engine restrictions there are for our .12 engines. I expect they use the ROAR rules, but i'm not familiar with the actual rules for next season. Maybe someone can help me......

I know that the WinerNats is running 200mm... engnie restrictions are : 3 port turbos with non-turbo plugs... 4 door bodies, I'm not sure about the gearing, but I'm trying a 20/25 (its green, I think its 25) and 48/54 first, I have all the gears in my box...they're not expensive. I've been using the 2.1 ProtoForm Stratus, it's great. Also, I really like the STS 3 port turbo engine I'm running, I think its just as good as the JP 3PT engine. And 40'shore tires all around.
__________________
I [I]AM [/I]the Driver !

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:40 PM   #2000
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utrecht (NL)
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5
Originally posted by herb
In February me and my friends will race at the Winternats in Ft. Myers. As we are coming over from Holland to drive the Sedan class with our NTC3's we are not sure which engine restrictions there are for our .12 engines. I expect they use the ROAR rules, but i'm not familiar with the actual rules for next season. Maybe someone can help me......

I know that the WinerNats is running 200mm... engnie restrictions are : 3 port turbos with non-turbo plugs... 4 door bodies, I'm not sure about the gearing, but I'm trying a 20/25 (its green, I think its 25) and 48/54 first, I have all the gears in my box...they're not expensive. I've been using the 2.1 ProtoForm Stratus, it's great. Also, I really like the STS 3 port turbo engine I'm running, I think its just as good as the JP 3PT engine. And 40'shore tires all around.
Thanks red5, this will help me in preparing my stuff for the Nat's especially the gears. I'll also use the Stratus 2.1 and take a Rossi Pixy Black and a Novamega engines with me.. Hope to see you then...
herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:09 PM   #2001
Tech Master
 
Motorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,911
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

(what track was Brian Berry the fastest with a salven tuned .12?)

The serpent guys ran Jtech modifieds last year not salven tuned stockers.

Herb and RED5 bring lots of spare parts. The track is brutal on cars, Chances are you will use more parts at the winternats than you will use most of the season at any other track. Pipes,arms uprights, axles, tires and bodies are expendable bigtime. when you see the steel boards around the track you will under stand. you will also find respect for the S in the front straight that becomes a launch pad for cars onto the concrete berm. I have seen several guys totally destroy (beyond rebuildable)an 1/8 th car right there including michael salven. Do not underestimate the brutality of this track. There are no close parts sources in many cases. Tires tires tires. I destroyed two 15 engines due to accidents and mishaps there last year. Used 8 lower rear arms on my impact. If you get in the marbles and slide into the boards your car will lose.
__________________
Just here to give the world grief.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 01:56 AM   #2002
Tech Elite
 
spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: SydNeeeeY
Posts: 4,559
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Do any of you guys add a throttle return spring on your kit in case the battery goes out?
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 03:03 AM   #2003
Tech Regular
 
torchedlh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: sf, cali
Posts: 413
Send a message via AIM to torchedlh
Default

i do. TRS for my rotary carb on my FE. i have a spring between the carb arm and the engine block mount.

for a slide carb, you can try wrapping a rubber band around the whole carb.
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 03:05 AM   #2004
Tech Regular
 
torchedlh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: sf, cali
Posts: 413
Send a message via AIM to torchedlh
Default

o and despite contrary belief, you don't want the TRS to be able to close the carb when the servo link is connected. the TRS should only be strong enough to pull the carb closed if the servo linkage disconnects from the carb. If you want protection against low rx battery power, use a failsafe.
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 08:46 AM   #2005
Regional Moderator
 
Jon Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,882
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

sorry torch you are absolutely wrong... what happens if the servo dies... what does a failsafe do for you then? Nothing! what you could do is put a second return spring on the servo arm that is strong enough to pull the servo back to nuetral with the one on the carb there in case the linkage comes off. with the power these things make and the speed they can achieve you can never be too safe.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:54 PM   #2006
Tech Master
 
BOLISARIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: S. Corona
Posts: 1,762
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BOLISARIO
Default Stripped 2nd gear spur

Since I got the car a few months ago, I never stripped any spur gears. And in the last two weeks I stripped 3 2nd gear(48t) spurs. I always loctite my engine mount screws. The lifespan of the second spur gear lasted a few tanks so I tightened up the mesh a bit. It helped somewhat cuz it lasted maybe 15-20 tanks, but that still shouldn't happen. The spur gear seems to strip right at the tips, it looks like the tips got bent at an angle and would cause inconsistent shifting. Eventually, it would completely strip at the tips. My first spur gear lasted maybe 3-4 gallons. Weird thing is, I never stripped the 1st gear spur yet.
BOLISARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 03:01 PM   #2007
Tech Elite
 
Corse-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Posts: 2,121
Default Re: Stripped 2nd gear spur

Quote:
Originally posted by BOLISARIO
Since I got the car a few months ago, I never stripped any spur gears. And in the last two weeks I stripped 3 2nd gear(48t) spurs. I always loctite my engine mount screws. The lifespan of the second spur gear lasted a few tanks so I tightened up the mesh a bit. It helped somewhat cuz it lasted maybe 15-20 tanks, but that still shouldn't happen. The spur gear seems to strip right at the tips, it looks like the tips got bent at an angle and would cause inconsistent shifting. Eventually, it would completely strip at the tips. My first spur gear lasted maybe 3-4 gallons. Weird thing is, I never stripped the 1st gear spur yet.
You have something pretty horrible on your tranny, some causes come to my mind to strip the second gear, the most common spur to rip is the 1st gear not 2nd check this:

- Bad mesh between gears. If you strip the gear at the tip maybe you're meshing too loose the gears.
- Odd shift combinations. Using 5 tooth leap on 4 or 6 tooth leaps, this meshing is tricky, but possible.
- Your 2nd gear pinion is damaged and this makes you ruin the spurs.
- Maybe the 2nd speed hub bearing don't works correctly, lube it with a suitable oil for bearings I use Trinity royal bearing for all my bearings and works without problems. One way bearings are other kind of animal, need a quite different oil, on these, the best by far is the Serpent one. A bottle can last years (mine has almost 3 years now and it's plenty of oil).
__________________
Cheers,
Corse-R
---
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #2008
Tech Regular
 
torchedlh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: sf, cali
Posts: 413
Send a message via AIM to torchedlh
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Swen
sorry torch you are absolutely wrong... what happens if the servo dies... what does a failsafe do for you then? Nothing! what you could do is put a second return spring on the servo arm that is strong enough to pull the servo back to nuetral with the one on the carb there in case the linkage comes off. with the power these things make and the speed they can achieve you can never be too safe.

Jon
what happen if you have a brain lapse with your finger at WOT? a servo isn't just going to die. it takes some work to kill a servo. stripping the servo gears shouldnt' be a problem either because it's a throttle servo.
putting such a strong spring stresses the servo excessively and results in the servo consuming a lot more battery....

you need a weak TRS AND a failsafe.
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:55 AM   #2009
Tech Master
 
theRED5's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: near Athens,GA
Posts: 1,022
Default

Thanks for the warning Dennis, yeah, I've been there, not to WinterNats but to a club race...spent most of the time on track trying to keep from getting run over by 8th scalers. I hear that they have fixed alot of things, like the wall height going on to the sweeper before the straight, car used to disappear under the wall.

Chuck
__________________
I [I]AM [/I]the Driver !

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:18 AM   #2010
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utrecht (NL)
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5
Thanks for the warning Dennis, yeah, I've been there, not to WinterNats but to a club race...spent most of the time on track trying to keep from getting run over by 8th scalers. I hear that they have fixed alot of things, like the wall height going on to the sweeper before the straight, car used to disappear under the wall.

Chuck
That's great they improved the wall height. As not being a tall person i felt like driving blind when accelating for the straight. To me the Winternats track felt like a 'pinball' with those hard bordings around the track. A small 'too tight coming into the corner' cost me my complete left frontend of my Impact 4WD last year. This year I'll drive my NTC3 which is more fragile than a Impact..... I am curious what the amount of crackparts will be after a week practising, qualifying and racing. I'll take an additional bag with parts with me from Holland. Or does anyone know there are shops in the neighbourhood of the Ft. Myers circuit which supply NTC3 parts ?
herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:57 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net