R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-28-2002, 06:25 PM   #1681
Tech Adept

The extra money that you have to spend on the rody carnk is not worth it unless you have a rb or other NR short rod motor. This is because of the nature of running a shorter rod will automaticaly increase the rotor port timing. That means that short rod motors need less timing to be just as fast. That will be self-defeting in a long rod motor like a MT12. Rody motor is still not maxed out to it's full potential. There is no point in spending extra money on somthing that you can do yourself with pratice and knowledge.

I am going to try to make NTC3 pipes but the stock ones will be hard to improve upon. Next time you go to a go-kart track or see a motorcycle race with 2-strokes, look at how much the asc pipe and all other moto and kart pipes looke alike. That is because asc has done a little research before designing the pipe. Look at rc boat pipes, there is a common trend around those pipes too. The only difference is the asc pipe is aluminum, steel would be much better, but as far as shape go's asc has the best one out yet.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:17 PM   #1682

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

K-Factory also makes a sweet, hardened, polished hinge pin set for around $15. I've been using them for a few months.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:32 AM   #1683
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JPHRacer
The extra money that you have to spend on the rody carnk is not worth it unless you have a rb or other NR short rod motor. This is because of the nature of running a shorter rod will automaticaly increase the rotor port timing. That means that short rod motors need less timing to be just as fast. That will be self-defeting in a long rod motor like a MT12. Rody motor is still not maxed out to it's full potential.
Yeah, I pointed this because people were talking about RB X12 motors. I know that there are some things that can be done to get more power, but the crank is a good starting point to those people who have fear or not knowledge to do (remember that I've pointed to Dennis or Smeltz firstly).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:55 AM   #1684
Tech Elite

Default Re: Yokomo front one-way

Quote:
Originally posted by tomato
Anyone know about the front one-way made by Yokomo for NTC3? Anyone try that??
I've one from July and no problem with it (If you properly shim the front input shaft, you shouldn't have main gear probs). Seems that AE is repackagin the Yokomo ones (but last week i saw one and some 'new oneways' comes with 4 one-way bearings - 2 each side).

Other question: what's your feedback about the solid axle on the front rather than a ball diff? worth the try? I run previously with 1/8 gas and one-way/solid axle is the standard, anyone has tested it?
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 10-29-2002, 06:02 AM   #1685
Tech Elite

Default Sirio 12TRP????

Hi all:

Anyone uses/drives a Sirio? how compares to a JP12(S3) and a RB X12? Planning to buy one for testing (JP Sleeve, piston and connecting rod: ouch!!! 153 Euros ) Sirio is very cheap: 177 Euro vs. 300 Euro who costs a JP (if duration is limited and perf. comparable, for sure that I don't whine).

From the first time I drove the 7 port .21 version (terrific speed) ever wanted to test one, needed 35ft more (at the end of backstraight sirio continued accelerating and never passed of 205F).
Old 10-29-2002, 06:15 AM   #1686
Tech Rookie

Default Yokomo fonrt one-way

Anyone know about the front one-way made by Yokomo for NTC3? Anyone try that??
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:09 AM   #1687

I use the solid frt. axle on alot of short tracks here, its very good!
The power coming off the turns is much better, plus not like the oneway you still have brakes! The cars also tracks straighter, coming off the turns and down the straight. The main dislike is you will have to go to MIP shiny cvd bones, my Richey RTU engine just twist the blue alum cvd bones out of it at a rate of 2 sets per race day, I switched to the shiny bones and no more trouble, other than the rotating mass deal and the stripping of the pinions. I'm using the lowest gearing for most short track racing and with a 4 tooth split between first and second gear it still tears up pinions. Wish Ae would release the new delrin ring and pinions I have been seeing, they have to be better.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:41 AM   #1688
Tech Regular

Default Re: Sirio 12TRP????

I haven't compared it with JP but I love my RB X12. It has pretty impressive speed and power. And after more than 2 gallons of fuel it still has over 90% of compression.

How do you like Sirio .21? Do you think it would pull with JPs or RB rody?

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Hi all:

Anyone uses/drives a Sirio? how compares to a JP12(S3) and a RB X12? Planning to buy one for testing (JP Sleeve, piston and connecting rod: ouch!!! 153 Euros ) Sirio is very cheap: 177 Euro vs. 300 Euro who costs a JP (if duration is limited and perf. comparable, for sure that I don't whine).

From the first time I drove the 7 port .21 version (terrific speed) ever wanted to test one, needed 35ft more (at the end of backstraight sirio continued accelerating and never passed of 205F).
rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:44 AM   #1689
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to speedy100
Cool Re: Re: Yokomo front one-way

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
I've one from July and no problem with it (If you properly shim the front input shaft, you shouldn't have main gear probs). Seems that AE is repackagin the Yokomo ones (but last week i saw one and some 'new oneways' comes with 4 one-way bearings - 2 each side).

Other question: what's your feedback about the solid axle on the front rather than a ball diff? worth the try? I run previously with 1/8 gas and one-way/solid axle is the standard, anyone has tested it?
do you mean AE is re-packaging their new one way by using Yokomo one ? what's the difference in price ?? are they still keeping the same $60.....I know it is less cheaper in yokomo packaging than AE. what is 4-one way bearing ?? who make it....
speedy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:53 AM   #1690
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to myclod Send a message via Yahoo to myclod

Hey Course....be careful with that Sirio...THEY ARE NOT CHEAP TO REBUILD...i work at a store and it cost almost as much to buy piston and sleeve as it is to buy a whole new engine..BUT they do make alot of power, ones that i have seen run so far have been inpressive
myclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:15 AM   #1691

I also use a RB X12 5 port turbo engine and the power and speed is very good, not a real match to the RTU but close. It also is very expensive to rebuild. Piston,piston pin, sleeve and rod, will sit you back over $110. I purchased my RB when the prices were alittle lower than they are now, it was only $187 then and now they are over $200 . So rebuild it or buy a new one? Its sorta a toss up. I ran about 2 and 1/2 gallons of 30 percent fuel threw it before rebuilding it. The compression was still ok but the big end of the rod bushing was out of spec.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:29 PM   #1692
Tech Elite

rcruv: Sirios 7p .21 are insanely speedier. With one bolted on your 1/8 chassis you can compare directly with a C5, Novas R3, Novamegas Evo and others (do you know that phrase who says: If you have b*lls, we've the hardware).

speedy100: seemed to me, I have a Yok one-way, but a friend came with the AE one and seemed identical. Examined the 'AE' unit and on each side it has 2 one-way bearings to balance the load between them. Heard 'rumors' of a version 2 of the Yokomo one-way unit. Having had the old AE unit, the Yokomo and comparing with those, all three were different.

myclod: I've two motors now: a JP12 and a RB12, running the JP is way too expensive, rebuilding it costs like a complete and brand new MT12 (aaargh! I'll reserve for national finals), with the RB i'm practicing and doing club races. Wanting to test the .12, cos I tested the .21 and got shocked with it.

bbntc3: Almost the same occurred to me on my X12, after 5 litres of fuel I needed to change the connecting rod, because the break in was too much for the upper bushing and was out of specs. The second rod last much more (now has got almost 10 litres of fuel - almost 3 US gallons).
Old 10-30-2002, 06:47 AM   #1693

Corse-R: My rod also should have been changed around 1.5 gallon of fuel but I pushed it to the limit!, well alittle over the limit I got lucky, crank was ok for another rebuild. RB knows their stuff, rod change in the x12 by the manual is supposed to be changed every 5 litres of fuel.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:13 AM   #1694
Tech Elite

Default 5 tooth split???

This weekend I used my RB X12 and needed some advice from yours (if anyone is using them (I suppose...).

20/26 with 54/48 were too short on the first and the second went ok. 21/27 with 54/48 was good on the first and a little large on the second and don't get all the rpm's that should get. Tried to adjust too the shifting but none helped (I'm a little p*ssed...).

Anyone has tried with a 5 tooth split? planning to test 21/26.

Another: I got a brand new sirio 12TRP, anyone use it? just looking other motors rather than JP12's (too expensive to rebuild).
Old 10-30-2002, 11:16 AM   #1695
Tech Rookie

Default Sirio 12TRP

Hi Corse-R, is your new Sirio a 5port turbo or 3 port?? Might get one of those if the performance is good.....
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote