R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-22-2002, 06:17 AM   #1651
Tech Fanatic

I think you can tell a difference, but most of it probably came from cutting 1/2" off the other end of the manifold. I used a carbide dremel bit. Be carefull, I have done 5-6 of these and have only ported thru on 1. Check out the weld on your manifold and make sure you have enough material to cut from. After you rough it in, start polishing. I used the cut off wheel attachment with a small cotton wheel, and dremels polishing compound to smooth things out. It gets hot so wear gloves. The whole process takes better than an hour (cutting, porting, polishing,ect.).
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:07 PM   #1652
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

Hey everyone, seems HPI is ditching us. Ah well...

Anyhoo, just picked up the GH chassis and after a day of racing, it seems to be holding up awesome. It's lighter than the stock chassis and seems to dissipate heat well. And it looks just awesome. I've attached a picture of it. Comes with mounting hardware and blue motor mounts. Great deal if you ask me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghchassis.jpg (81.9 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by Aeon Racer; 10-25-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:40 AM   #1653
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by JPHRacer
Wish I could help you with the weather problem but were I race even damp ground means no race.

I have a question on the pipe, did you make your own or retrofit one from another car? If you did make it did you do it out of steel or aluminum?

From my experiences with a centax is that it is used to get a real on/off feeling. My friends that run 1/8 scale say it is real hard to drive a shoe clutch car because it lags to much. This is probably not what you want to hear but I have stuck with the shoes because it is much faster in the fact that you can tune slip into it. IMO the centax clutches don't slip enough because of the ammount of material that is in contact.
Here are photos of the alternative exhaust manifold made from copper tubing. The 180 degree bend is made from cut down right angle bends from domestic plumbing systems. Unfortunately the minimum pipe length of this configuration is determined by the length of the pipe and its proximity to the front wheel. The original version used a short tuned pipe from Thunder Tiger as an option from Sabbatini. The photos show a Tamiya tuned pipe from the TGX. After building this second version, I discovered that it is not legal for our National Championship as the stinger outlet is 6mm ID whereas the maximum is 5.2 mm ID.

Both options achieved the objective of reducing pressure in the fuel tank, however the Sabbatini pipe constrained the top end revs significantly more than the standard 2 chamber exhaust. I have not yet run the Tamiya pipe configuration.

With further work, I believe this can be shortened by about 0.5 inch, which will make it about 0.5 inch shorter than the standard two chamber exhaust. This should allow the use of a proper tuned pipe with reversed cone, rather than a muffler with a baffle in the middle.

Didnít get to run the Centax last weekend, it was wet however the track had an inch of standing water in places!
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:44 AM   #1654
Tech Rookie

Try again with the photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntc3exhaustmods 006.jpg (39.7 KB, 244 views)
Old 10-23-2002, 06:47 AM   #1655
Tech Rookie

Here's more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntc3exhaustmods 007.jpg (37.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 10-24-2002, 10:00 AM   #1656
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BOLISARIO
Default Front One-Way Diff rings

Man I keep stripping these gears, even with light taps to the wall. That's with the Yok One-way. Someone at the local track still uses the AE one-way with good success, no stripped gears with a properly shimmed one-way. He told me that the Yok, even though the bearings last, do not have the proper gear mesh and is prone to stripping. He also said that the Yok unit is hard to shim.

Any thoughts on this?
BOLISARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:30 PM   #1657
Tech Apprentice

I have had my non-PS NTC3 for a few months and right from the time I finished building it, I noticed that when the steering tie-rods were set at the length stated in the manual, the front tires will be toed-out and one more than the other. This has resulted in me having to set one tie-rod longer than the other.

Has any one experienced this? I suppose this will affect the Ackerman. I have rebuilt the front part of the car several times and reset the length too but it's always the same.
zerotorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 02:18 AM   #1658
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Zerotorc: Try swapping sides on the tie rods, put the left one on the right. Also, I think that the instructions is just a starting point, every car is different.

Bolisario: On the gears, I suspect your talking about the diff gears? Make sure when you change the ring gear, that you change the pinion gear at the same time. Also, do you have the shims on the outdrives of the one way? You may nedd some more spacers in there to tighten up the ring gear to the pinion gear. That's called backlash, and a mechanic makes numerous checks and measures to make sure there's not too much freeplay (or backlash) there.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:12 AM   #1659
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by zerotorc
I have had my non-PS NTC3 for a few months and right from the time I finished building it, I noticed that when the steering tie-rods were set at the length stated in the manual, the front tires will be toed-out and one more than the other. This has resulted in me having to set one tie-rod longer than the other.

Has any one experienced this? I suppose this will affect the Ackerman. I have rebuilt the front part of the car several times and reset the length too but it's always the same.
Usually you will want around .5 to 1 degree toe out anyway, but, in any case, check that they aren't swapped.

Get yourself a setup set, like the Hudy or (my preference, for what it's worth) the Integy. As you hit things and even just drive, things are going to change, so rely on that rather than measuring the tierods by eye by the book.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:16 PM   #1660
Tech Fanatic

Default one-way

Yokomo has a second generation one-way with a larger ring gear backing area, and the ability to shim the ring gear. Associated also has machined Delrin ring and pinion gears. I don't know if any of this is available to the public yet, but the Associated team was using them at the Worlds.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:39 PM   #1661
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We are now stocking K-Factory hop-up parts for the NTC3. All of the K-Factory parts are made of high quality machined aluminum and anodized in blue. Some of the hop-ups include 7075 aluminum chassis, aluminum/carbon fiber shock towers, lower arm mounts (front and rear) and carbon radio tray and side braces. Check them out in the hop-up section

Also, don't forget the integy alignment station are back in stock, this is a must for pivot ball suspension cars.

Thanks, and have a good weekend guys.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:14 PM   #1662
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BOLISARIO

NTC3NUT: Where did you get the info about the 2nd gen Yok One-way? I hope to replace mine soon.
BOLISARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:03 AM   #1663
Tech Elite

Default Yokomo wide tyres at rear...

Hi to all:

Anyone has tried to install Yokomo 32mm wide at the rear of the NTC3 to see if fits?
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 01:17 PM   #1664
Tech Fanatic

I talked to one of the Associated team drivers while I was down in Cinnci watching the Worlds. He told me they had been using the original Yokomos at the nats with a few mods. They had made a large backing ring that fit on the original Yokomo one-way with the ring gear. This backing plate added support to the ring gear and also allowed shimming of the ring gear. For the Worlds Yokomo incorporated these mods into a new second generation one-way. He also said they've had the machined delrin gears since the Nat's. I'm not sure on this one though, I had heard they just had the gears flown in at the Worlds.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:13 PM   #1665
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

Having owned my NTC3 for almost 6mnths now I am really impressed with the speed off the car over my V1R. Mind you my driving has improved also so i can't really say there would be too much in it between the two. What i have noticed with the NTC3 is though, that when you get off the throttle the car will carry this speed on until you brake, were as the V1R would slow done rather rapidily and then you would tend too blip the throttle to keep the car at some kind off good speed which would then tend to be too much and could lead to a mistake. I watched a freidn last night trying to catch down a NTC3 with his v1rr and the difference wasn't all that noticable, but he couldn't catch him up. Any thoughts?