R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-14-2002, 09:38 AM   #1621
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

It depends on your brake adjustment - I don't have mine hard enough to lock up my wheels - although I used to.

Check your throttle/brake servo's brake endpoint (on your radio) to see what it's at - you can increase it a touch and that will give you some more brake.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:26 AM   #1622
Tech Fanatic

Default Madcat

Quote:
It depends on your brake adjustment - I don't have mine hard enough to lock up my wheels - although I used to.
Madcat, like Boomer i also use to set my brakes to bite hard and lock the wheels, i now have it set just enough to stop the car. It's a bit of a compromise, you just have to get use to it. braking a little earlier than u would a V1R or MTX 2, very different driving styles. I find that picking your braking points especially from a long straight is critical to getting fast laps on the NTC3... keeping your momentum all the way is key (something the NTC3 can do very well)

The NTC3"s brakes are for me the best there is!!......good luck and Pit Senor!!
glide 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #1623
Tech Elite

The only thing that I do (just remembered. . . ) is that I spray off the disk and pads every run - with some motor spray. That way, if any oil or fuel gets on the disk/pads it gets sprayed off.

I might not NEED to do it, but it makes me feel better.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:43 PM   #1624
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Boomer and Glide 1, thanks for your advice. I just wish that someone else out here have an ntc3 for comparison. But the tips you gave will come in handy. I guess ntc3s just want to keep rolling even when told to stop. Thanks again guys.
madcat prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:40 AM   #1625
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default Re: brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by madcat prime
Hey guys, does the ntc3 stop real quick from full speed just like the Vone Rs? I've noticed they could quickly brake when they want to while my car slows down but keeps rolling before stopping. Is this normal?

Madcat,I noticed the same thing on mine......mine has about a gallon through it...but I never thought the brakes were as good as they should have been,and have gotten worse(my #2 car has always had better brakes).......I took the brake disc out and discovered it was alittle out of 'round,and did'nt have the same rough scratched look that a new disc has..it was pretty much worn smooth.....I don't know if it came like that,or those NASCAR pads wore it down,but I sanded the pads,put on a New disc($3.50) and the car stop great.....(BTW<I'm using Hitec digitals all around,stopping power was not the issue)
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:24 PM   #1626
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just got 2 sets of steering bearings for my TC3s.
Do I have to tear the whole front-end apart to install them?
Also, is the foam tire "set-up" in the manual right on, or are some of you guys using a bit different set-up?
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:36 PM   #1627
Tech Elite

well,I stand corrected.....BIG TIME!!!!!!....

I ran my Tc3 tonite(the one with the 3 port RB turbo)....AND the new tank......everyone was right.....I had a few problems tuning the car with the old tank.....in ran OK,sometimes stallindm,esp. after sitting a few seconds,or esp when refueling while the car was running.....but nothing I would atribute to the tank...

with the new tank,none of this was a problem...the motor ran cooler,idled better,didn't stall once driving 10 tanks....and gas milaege went up.....
Old 10-16-2002, 12:38 AM   #1628
Tech Addict

after 2 weekends of testing, i have concluded that 2 headers with a regular pipe works.
i think if any one that like more options for pipes.. this is it..
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:21 AM   #1629
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ME-student
after 2 weekends of testing, i have concluded that 2 headers with a regular pipe works.
i think if any one that like more options for pipes.. this is it..
I'm glad it was a success ME. Guess it's time for me to order those headers and test. Nice work dude.
madcat prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:22 AM   #1630
Tech Elite

I have a quick question...

I've noticed no one is complaining about associateds one way bearings any more........Has anyone noticed a change in the one way?....

Also,my car ran great last nite...but one thing I did notice....When I drive my Impulse(gear diffs) and when I drove a stock Reflex last nite,under gas,those cars turn in more...you cam actually steer around a corner with those cars...The tc3 does not do that..its more like brake,turn,coest through corner,on the gas.....

you give the car a dose of throttle,and push it does....Not that I'm complaing,It was faster then the reflex,and,against a better Impulse driver,held its own,easily....

but I like the way those cars drove.....on some corners,it could be an advantage......

I was looking through the Tc3 manual..

Do you think diff adjustment(like it says in the book) would help?...has anyone tried the diffs?.....I'm wary of changing anything on the suspension..the car runs so flat and stable,its like taking it out for a sunda drive.....and if the way it runs is the way it has to be driven,so be it...
Old 10-16-2002, 09:34 AM   #1631
Tech Elite

You can get rid of a lot of the push and still keep the front diff. . .ie no one-way.

I started with an on-power push and everything else neutral. I've moved to a very very slight on-power push and off-power oversteer (as I got comfortable with the car. . .) - it allows me to pitch the car a bit and fly through the corners.

Just work with your suspension - note where it is now and then make TINY changes one at a time. My car reacted very linearly to all changes I made so I was able to see how it affected things.

I have my car set nicely to me, and mostly, all I do to fine tune it is to adjust the sway bar in the front. . .makes a good fine adjustment for me. (I'm kinda wierd though. . .)
Old 10-16-2002, 08:57 PM   #1632
Tech Elite

thanks boomer...actually,my car now probably drives just like yours......have you experimented with the diff settings for more steering,as per the manual?....I am
also running the front sway bar,the rest pure "rubber" set up as per the book..Don't get me wrong,this car runs great.....and i'm probably asking for trouble looking to undo it,but experiment I must...I just wanted other racer's thoughts on the matter..Its getting cold here in NJ,so the season's almost done....

any ideas wher to start for that on power feeling of being to hug in the more your on the gas?....I realy don't want to change the suspension,the balance is unreal...thats why i was wondereing abou the diffs...
Old 10-16-2002, 10:16 PM   #1633
Tech Elite

Well, if you want to start at the diffs, loosen the front JUST A TOUCH. . .that should allow the fronts to grab a bit better.

You could also try putting a little overdrive in it (run larger fronts than rears - foams) - I've found that to pull itself around corners a bit better. . .don't go dramatically different sizes, just a touch.

Also, if you're running the blade type front sway bar, try going a bit more horizontal with it. . .make it a bit softer.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #1634
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Fastharry, have you tried playing with different front droop settings?
Try less droop to reduce the weight transfer to the rear under power.

Also, several racers in my club including myself are using the outer upper front A-arm hingepin hole. We got better stering out of it(go figure).
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:19 AM   #1635
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys
Just found this thread, great info.

We've just finished our National championship running on rubber tyres so my experience is a little different to foams. Finished 22overall and my daughter (who also races NTC3) finsihed 32o/a.

Freakah - the change you made to the front upper arm location results in lowering the front roll centre which inturn causes more weight to be transferred to the front of the car, hence more steering.

Will post photos of new exhaust arrangement, however have not yet managed to make a pipe with a shorter pipe length than the standard Associated item. For those who are interested, the pipe length on the NTC3 is about 1 inch longer than Mugen/Yokomo/Serpent which is great for bottom end punch out of the slow corners, however it strangles the motor at the top end on the straights.

As we race through the winter, outdoors and in the wet, has anyone found any good wet weather sets ups? The chassis has a big oversteer problem (with torque reaction) whenever the clutch engages! We only had 3 dry meetings (out of 8) in our National series this year, so wet weather set up is key to improving my performance.

Have just received my Kawahara Centax clutch in the hope that I can make engagement happen more progressively and eliminate the spins as I exit the corner. Got it from Steve Wang at SpeedTech as no-one imports them into the UK yet.

Will write more later.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote