Help 1/8 track photos and dimensions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help 1/8 track photos and dimensions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

The club I race at looked at the cost of repaving the track "capping it" (simply adding about a 1/2 inch of asphalt on top of the current track to refresh the track), the cost to do so was around $25,000. And that was with one of the club members working at an asphalt facility.

www.TSRCAR.com

If you actually plan on building an asphalt track covering 250x150' and had the land, just needed to grade, build the foundation and then the lay asphalt. I'd bet it would be reasonable to see quotes around $75,000 to $125,000.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ouch...

Best to start with a newly paved lot already...

What type of height are you guys seeing for most driver stands at the larger tracks.

Thanks

Jamie
Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

The drivers deck level of our stand is eight feet. The length is about 28 feet. Our track stand was updated this past spring. great improvement.
(Blue Diamond RC)

Last edited by GHETTOTEACHER; 08-23-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The general rule for the driver stand is 2.5 feet per person. With a number of the nitro running 12 racers per main, 10 with 2 bump ups... you can see that the stand needs to hold 12 min. and if you have the space, I would recommend that you plan for 15 to 20, with bigger tracks more racers is possible.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Here's our track. We run 200mm sedan but it can accommodate 1/8.

http://www.rcpikeriver.com/track.html
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by senna555
Thanks keep them coming...

Do you have any pics of the end of the straight/sweeper for the evolution track..hard to see in the last pic.

Thanks

Jamie
Here is a pic of the straight and sweeper. Keep in mind that if you have a high speed sweeper like this, it wears the left side tires quite a bit and it would be a good idea to add a high speed left hander somewhere to even it out.

I also added a pic of the curbs that we added in the turns. This is a feature that REALLY makes a difference. When they are built correctly the cars will be able to roll up on them and back down without upsetting them too much. We started our first season with plow disc plates to keep cars from cutting the turns, but if you hit one (and you will) it will send your car airborn and it will most likely (if you're lucky) chunk a tire!

I made our curbs with asphalt curb mix. I used a hand tamper on a pole that I made an attachment for with the curb shape. They only need to be about 2" tall and about 12" wide. After they were done I squezed alot of liquid nail in the edge where the curb met the asphalt and then ran a plastic putty knife over it to blend it into a smooth transition.

After 1.5 seasons on the curbs we did have to go back and add liquid nail in a few places where the cars had dug it out, but it was easy!
Attached Thumbnails Help 1/8 track photos and dimensions!-evotrack8.jpg   Help 1/8 track photos and dimensions!-evocurbs.jpg  
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Good tip on the curbs.

I also noticed that alot of layout had massive sweepers at the end of the straight..not a fan of that due to tire wear. (Noticed that in pics of the messina track from the 05 worlds)

One of the tracks that roelof listed had a nice mix.

Keep the info coming.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2gee
Here's one: www.rcrcnt.com
What are the dimensions for this track?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dreddlox
What are the dimensions for this track?
Man I'm kinda going from memory here so dont hold me to this. 210 long by 100 ft across. Straight with sweeper about 190ft. Driving line around the full track 970 ft. One of the things to keep in mind especially on tracks 100ft or more across is to get the drivers stand elevated enough for good viewing perspective of the track. Since the aerial photo was taken, our driving stand has been raised 3 feet giving a much better view of the cars without them disappearing behind the inside boards on the back stretch. The guys at TSRCAR, whose track is about the same or wider than our track, have a very nice and very elevated driver stand that gives an excellent view of their track too.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Good tip on the curbs.

I also noticed that alot of layout had massive sweepers at the end of the straight..not a fan of that due to tire wear. (Noticed that in pics of the messina track from the 05 worlds)

Keep the info coming.
It is hard on the tires, but it seems to save more on other parts. It is hard to slow these things down at the end of these long straights. We added the sweeper going into a carousel so that there would be a more gradual slow down.
When the straight has a tighter turn at the end of it, the straight feels alot shorter because you are having to get out of the throttle so early.
You will also find that it becomes a battle of the brakes. Who can stay on the throttle the longest and then jamb hard on the brakes?
If the guy that is just inches in front of you gets on the brakes earlier than you, then you may have to bring out the broom and dust pan to clean up the mess!
This also causes alot of brake wear and brake failure towards the end of a long main.
You will also find that if you start a main in the straight, turn one can get very ugly if it is a tight turn!

I built our drivers stand with the walking platform at 10' high and you can still loose sight of your tires if you hang too tight in the sweeper..
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Lord

Maybe a movie can give some impressions ?

The fastest track in Holland
http://www.debaanbrekers.com/ftp/rucphen.avi

Or onboard:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrkJ9sTdRc
Old 07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Jamie, what's good man? Will u be building a track?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Good tip on the curbs.

Keep the info coming.
Our track normally runs CW. When the surface is cleaned, prepped and some practice rubber laid down, you can pretty much keep the throttle pinned all the way thru the sweeper lifting whenever you think it's necessary to make the hair pin. And yes it is brutal on left rear rubber over a 30-40 minute main. We have on a couple of ocassions run the track in the CCW direction. This pretty much eliminates the tire wear problems as you have to roll throttle on the sweeper and then pin as you lead onto the straight....not near a hard on the tires. Unfortunately some of the drivers dont like the CCW direction for whatever reason so most of the time we run CW and let em put up with the tire wear. One of the things I like about the CCW direction is the car exhaust faces the drivers stand when going full song down the straight. When the engines get on the pipe, they make what Scotty Barrera calls "that special sound" and it sure sounds nice!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

I have one more suggestion that I thought of while I spent several hours working on our track this morning to get it ready for the Heart of America Series that is in town this weekend.

If you are laying a new pad of asphalt or if you are looking for a pad that is already there, you will save yourself a ton of work if you have a pad that is on a slight slope or one that has a slight crown in the middle.

If it rains the night before or even on a raceday you will have ALOT less work if the water is able to run off instead of sitting in the middle with nowhere to go!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Default Track

I really like this type of layout.

Any opinions for running 1/8 scale?

Space available will be 205x100 feet

62meters x 30.5 meters.

http://www.amcaracing.nl/uk/circuit/circuit.htm

Thanks