Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Glow plugs price increase >

Glow plugs price increase

Glow plugs price increase

Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default Glow plugs price increase

i notice from the below link that the price of plug will be up(again) from July in Japan, how about US and others.

http://www.pro-s-futaba.co.jp/web/content/view/323/86/

in this moment, only OS and NR plug will increase (who knows what happen next)

i love RC cars but i'm not that rich
Old 06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

here comes another shop now, KAWAHARA is the distributor of NR from Japan.

http://kawahara-racing.co.jp/nova.pro.html
Old 06-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

maybe you can read it?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

lets all blame it on the freaking gas prices
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The reason for the price increase is that the Platinum that is used in the element keeps going up in price. Like all the precious metals are doing. And the kicker is that the Platinum for the most part is bought from the manufacture either in Italy or Japan from the U.S. So that just add's to the price. Sad but true. So I agree lets blame it on the fuel prices.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xspower
The reason for the price increase is that the Platinum that is used in the element keeps going up in price. Like all the precious metals are doing. And the kicker is that the Platinum for the most part is bought from the manufacture either in Italy or Japan from the U.S. So that just add's to the price. Sad but true. So I agree lets blame it on the fuel prices.
XSPOWER, is right. It is estimated that Platinum will tripple its price in the next 5 years. And to think that when first discovered in Columbia, it was considered to be a junk metal. More than 90% of all platinum supplies come now from South Africa and Russia. The world's growing appetite for platinum is essentially satisfied by the mining activities in just two regions. The Bushveld Complex, which is just north of South Africa's capital, Pretoria, is one. The mines in this area produce more than two thirds of the platinum that reaches the markets each year. The other site is in the Noril'sk-Talnakh region in the extreme north of Siberia in Russia. It is estimated that at least one quarter of the world's supply is either currently mined here or is from above ground stocks that were accumulated over many years. Russia is the only nation with significant stocks of platinum and it is believed that these may be running out which is running the price up even more.
Sorry for the lesson..... Just helps to know why things are going up sometimes.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Funny, OS plugs were never that cheap in the US. I wonder what they gonna go up to now soon?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think this might have been crazy hobby shop pricing which is why people buy from the internet, but 3 years ago I saved an OS turbo plug package because they seriously sold it to me for $12.99. I believe another local shop in town charges $12-$13 for nova plugs even today and they supply mostly racers.. just imagine with this platinum scare.

The body of the plug is not platinum right? So only the coil is involved here, that has to be a tiny amount of platinum. My gram scale only goes in whole grams, can anybody actually pull a coil out and measure it sometime? Lets say it is 1 gram (but my scale says 0, so even rounded it is less than 0.5) that would be 0.03527 ounces which ends up making 62,376 plugs which would yield $311,880 at a modest $5 per plug with the $2200/ounce all time high so clearly my math is completely wrong here. I am going with high oil and inflation because they can.

The price for the platinum future (PL on NYMEX) from Jan 2007 was about $1100 per ounce.

The price today is around the $2000 range and has been since February when a lot of the cash market got out into metals and bonds. The metal has risen, but it jumped in february, if anything it is dying back down from the highs of $2200/ounce.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

plug coils are made with a mixture of platinum and iridium.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well....i have a strong feeling that sooner or later the prices of our RC parts and equipment shall increase.... presently the prices still remains.

i'm not rich either
Old 06-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcabj
well....i have a strong feeling that sooner or later the prices of our RC parts and equipment shall increase.... presently the prices still remains.

i'm not rich either
Yes, rc car parts will be increasing in price. This is partially due to greed because people see prices of other things going up, partially due to half our stuff made overseas where the dollar sucks (even canada is almost 1 for 1 USD to theirs and we used to be 1.50 theirs to 1 of ours only a few short years ago) and it takes over 1.50 of our dollars to equal a euro now.

This is the inflation portion of the economy that the fed has been talking about, some real, some fake.. The job market will of course be last, but you will eventually be making more money. Sadly it will take 2-3 years of paying higher prices with lower pay to get the pay where it needs to be for people to afford houses and food again.