put the power down if you were just to grab a hand full of
throttle.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:17 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunder racer
Tell me this than WHY DOSE THE JP BLACK ENGINS COST SO MUCH and if there not better than the cheaper engin y do most of the pros run them.

Im just asking im not trying to make trouble.
This is where everyone thinks that extra power can convert to 1s quicker per lap. Well it will be if it's in the right hand.

What people try to say is, power VS driving skill is proportional.
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:21 PM   #33
Tech Master

Very valid question and fair.

I wasnt referring in general to the JP S3 when I made my statement. I was just stating in general that I would rather have a lower HP engine using all the rev band than a higher HP engine using only a part of it.

The JP engines are quick if you are lucky to get one with a good carb. I have seen 6 so far and only 1 of them really shifts. But in saying that I have no problems staying with it with my RB 3-port producing 1.25+HP.

Its all in the tuning and driveability of the engine. The RB has a good power deliverance over the whole range which allows it to be competitive still with some of the bigger engines.

In all honesty I really believe most of the high prices on engines are false marketing. Like Microsoft, Virgin, Sony etc.... you are just paying for a famous brand name yet with some of the big name companies (Reebok, Hitatchi, etc) the name is big but the products are C***. Same thing with this hobby. Collari is a big name but his engines are C*** to be totally honest. Our local dealer actually gave away 6 of them free to get rid. JP has always been a big name and always produced fast engines (I own a JP Rex .21 Turbo) but the .12's seem to be temperamental through poor choice of material on the carb he makes.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:38 AM   #34
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Modellor is right, it's kinda like the Toyota 1.6 liter twin cams... they are rated at good HP numbers, yet they have to be revved over 7,500 rpm's before they start making any real power.

I really like the Serio 3P turbo I'm currently running. Pulls long and hard.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:11 AM   #35
Tech Chat Moderator

All these high priced engines sound great. For the value, id get another STS mt12 like i have in my nrs4-2(pics in signature). This little sucker was less that 135$ and runs like a clock. I do miss my rb c12 turbo . Let's just say never use red lock tight on the shaft u put the flywheel on. Since i only bash and can care less if i have a high $ engine i get something reliable in kinda fast.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:29 AM   #36
Ec1
Tech Adept

Modellor: "but the .12's seem to be temperamental through poor choice of material on the carb he makes.
"

JP doesnt make any thing... the carbs is ordinary Nova`s the s3 is modifeld thou.... i hav always run JP.. in my 235mm car and know my NT.... They have always ben wery god... BUT you hafe to break them in right!! And you cant compare engines that different guys has.. clutch pipe DRIVING etc is so importent that you basicly cant compare... And 95% of the drivers cant handle them anyway...
Ec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:14 AM   #37
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ec1
Modellor: "but the .12's seem to be temperamental through poor choice of material on the carb he makes.
"

JP doesnt make any thing... the carbs is ordinary Nova`s the s3 is modifeld thou.... i hav always run JP.. in my 235mm car and know my NT.... They have always ben wery god... BUT you hafe to break them in right!! And you cant compare engines that different guys has.. clutch pipe DRIVING etc is so importent that you basicly cant compare... And 95% of the drivers cant handle them anyway...
You are right EC1. I was thinking about another well known name that makes his own carbs. The JP mod carbs are tempermental due to indifferences in the modifcation (tolerance levels).

You cant compare engines from different drivers - that is true. But what about when all the drivers in question can run nose to tail for 5 mins all with the same car, pipe and engine. And also the fact that a couple of the guys have 2 each. The guy who owns the really good one also has a second one which is not as good as the good one. But when he puts the carb from the good one on the poor one it really screams too.

As for handling power. That is true. Very few can handle the power but all the guys in question here have won many championships in both on-road and off-road and at least 2 off them are Team drivers.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ec1

JP doesnt make any thing... the carbs is ordinary Nova`s the s3 is modifeld thou.... i hav always run JP.. in my 235mm car and know my NT.... They have always ben wery god... BUT you hafe to break them in right!!
Isn't this sound weird for you-it is good if you brak in right?
Engine , specialy at this price has to be out of the box, ready to go with little simple brak in. For me sound is totaly weird! If I pay big $ for engine, I am expecting it is not stock engine with rocket since special prcedure to put it on the track.
Any ideas?.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #39
Tech Rookie

I have the Mugen MR .12 and put it in my Trinity Reflex NT. It really scream. and it smoked Serpent Impact with NovaMega Evo4 MS at my local track.
nitrotouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 07:18 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rossi ns12s3 engine!
Old 08-24-2003, 08:55 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
Rossi ns12s3 engine!
Dude, Rossi Doesn't make NS12S3 engine, they made Pixy engine.
Novarossi make NS12S3, you confuse there or you might confuse other. With 2 different Manufacturer.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:05 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Dude, Rossi Doesn't make NS12S3 engine, they made Pixy engine.

You're right about that, but before Rossi was made popular, Novarossi's where sometimes refered to as Rossis, just like the are sometimes refered to as Novas

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:26 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You're right nitrodude.....some imports don't know the lingo fully.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:41 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
You're right nitrodude.....some imports don't know the lingo fully.
I do, Pit.... Just want to let it clear to some others that is not as attention seeker as u to know the lingo.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote