R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-20-2003, 04:30 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
At least under mine own experience, JP Black engines aren't as good as seemed. Many times JP owners for getting a black coated block thinks that bragging rights are included in the JP box.

Last weekend one guy came with their flamant JP S3 and got spanked with a 'simple' Nova RS12 S3, there's no need to burn such quantities of money in those engine when you got almost the same for much less (except those fancy black coating) and a careful break-in and carb adjustment.

1.58Hp figure is BS, tested vs mine new Nova NS12 units and NS12 were slightly faster than JP RS12 S3 engines.

Don't enter in a engine HP wars, because those numbers are way too realistic and are very dependent on the setup, fuel and equipment used to figure those power. Laptimes and reliability on the track is the final judge not MKT Horsepower figures.
1.58 is the output of the the JP RS12 S3 RACE maybe all the the guys at your track that have a JP dont know how to drive as good as the guys with just the RS12 S3.

Of couse the JP S3 is faster 41000vs38000 how is the RS12 S3 going to beet a JP rs12 S3 if the JP puts out 3000rpm more?????

I got a full review in my RACING LINES MAG and it tells U [email protected] for the NOVAROSSI JP BLACK S3 RACE
This is what the specs are that i found in the mag

CUBIC CAPACITY= 2.1cc
POWER= 1.58
RPM=41000
PACTICAL RANGE= 3800/43500
PORTS= 3
STORKE= 14.00mm
BORE= 13.80mm
GLOW HEAD= Turbo
SHAFT DIA= 11.50mm
WEIGHT= 210g

THATS WHAT I GOT FROM THE MAG.
Thunder racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:43 AM   #17
Tech Elite

See . . . this is why marketing guys get paid so much money.

The Rossi marketing guys must get paid more though . . . they quoted the Rossi at 1.8HP or something, if I recall.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:08 AM   #18
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
The Rossi marketing guys must get paid more though . . . they quoted the Rossi at 1.8HP or something, if I recall.
Ummm, I think Trinity marketing guys get paid more don't you think?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:09 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunder racer
Of couse the JP S3 is faster 41000vs38000 how is the RS12 S3 going to beet a JP rs12 S3 if the JP puts out 3000rpm more?????

CUBIC CAPACITY= 2.1cc
POWER= 1.58
RPM=41000
PACTICAL RANGE= 3800/43500
PORTS= 3
STORKE= 14.00mm
BORE= 13.80mm
GLOW HEAD= Turbo
SHAFT DIA= 11.50mm
WEIGHT= 210g

THATS WHAT I GOT FROM THE MAG.
Yeah... that's the same data you can get on the JP racing website, but, repeat, Horsepower figures are BS, because it affects several key parameters like:

- Air temperature.
- Rel. Humidity in the air.
- Height over the sea level.
- Fuel (How much nitro? 16, 25, 30, 40%... how much oil?).
- What kind of pipe?
- Those rpm figures are freewheeling or under load?

And if we pay account that NONE makes an engine dyno (Superflow seemed that had one, but none on their website) who pulls standard numbers and other useful data (BSFC, VE and other key data to determine the true potential of an engine).

JP Racing 'seems' to be more powerful engines. But all the power comes at cost of being soft at low end that harms acceleration unless you re-gear your car.

JP engines, at least IMHO and other racers opinion, have a lifespan very short and some are a bitch to carb. Want to talk about sheer power and sky-high rpms? Is your choosing, but remember that you don't drive HP, you drive thanks to a torque applied by your engine and the powerband that gives.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:11 AM   #20
bt
Tech Adept

Default s3

Firstly i was off the opinon that [email protected] are qouted at 1.5hp or that is what the novarossi web site says and a little more for turbos not 1.38 thats prob an s1 qoute
bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:16 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Notwithstanding what you have mentioned, the specs you have quoted are actually the NS12 version of the JP engine. Not the older RS12 JP engine. Numbers aside, the stock NS12 engine is already a very powerful engine and I would believe the JP version would be even more powerful.

Also I thought that the JP version of the NS12 engine only previewed in the recent Euro Championships and at the ROAR Nats in Revelation.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:16 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys I run a RB X12 Rody and it's as fast if not faster than any of the JP S3 that run at our club. It all comes down to tuning. But on the other hand the new JP NS3 seem to have an ever so slight advantage over the older generation Nova based engines.
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:25 AM   #23
Tech Prophet

Yeah, the 3 port Rody engines are good. I hear that fuel consumption is also excellent

However, I hear reports that even the plain Jane NS12 3 port engine levels all the other factory mod engines like the JP RS12 S3 and the 3 port RB X12 Rody...
Old 08-20-2003, 05:25 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by finchy
Hey guys I run a RB X12 Rody and it's as fast if not faster than any of the JP S3 that run at our club. It all comes down to tuning. But on the other hand the new JP NS3 seem to have an ever so slight advantage over the older generation Nova based engines.
BINGO! It's all a matter of tunning and how good are you runnin a correct driving line.

Just only for those HP freaks: Remeber Pirelli's ad 'Power is nothing without control' and should we add 'and a correct adjustment'. Probably many people will have better laptimes with a slightly lesser powerful engine rather than those megazillion HP at ultra sky-high rpms.

People still thinks that having a more powerful engine will perform better and many raise their laptimes and don't want to reckon that is caused by an overpowered car.

I modify (with great success) engines and many people go and ask me 'How much for modifying mine engine' sure that you need it and bring it one of mine engines, many still wanted, others reckon that HP isn't all on the track and other areas make more difference than 0.08HP at 2000 or 3000 rpms higher.

Seems odd this, but want to be honest with the people who asks me for a modified engine (and sometimes I shoot myself on my foot).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:47 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Corse,you are right on the money with that one...

I have problems tuning RB's sometimes....

the last race I ran,I switched to an OS TR(in my touring car)....nowhere as fast as my RB..esp on the track I run on(200 x225 ft,with a 190 ft straight)...

but I was actually faster in lap times...(good enough to qualify in the 1'8th scale class)...

the car was actually faster through corners,because I had better control..

the guy with the nova based engine,though faster down the back straight(though only by 10 ft),overshot the corner every time..

I won the a main......(also TQ'd)...

Cornering speed wins the race....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:02 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Yeah... that's the same data you can get on the JP racing website, but, repeat, Horsepower figures are BS, because it affects several key parameters like:

- Air temperature.
- Rel. Humidity in the air.
- Height over the sea level.
- Fuel (How much nitro? 16, 25, 30, 40%... how much oil?).
- What kind of pipe?
- Those rpm figures are freewheeling or under load?

And if we pay account that NONE makes an engine dyno (Superflow seemed that had one, but none on their website) who pulls standard numbers and other useful data (BSFC, VE and other key data to determine the true potential of an engine).

JP Racing 'seems' to be more powerful engines. But all the power comes at cost of being soft at low end that harms acceleration unless you re-gear your car.

JP engines, at least IMHO and other racers opinion, have a lifespan very short and some are a bitch to carb. Want to talk about sheer power and sky-high rpms? Is your choosing, but remember that you don't drive HP, you drive thanks to a torque applied by your engine and the powerband that gives.
ok YOUR RIGHT IN A WAY ALL THAT IS TRUE BUT I STILL THINK MY JP WILL BEET A STOCK NOVA S3. LOL
Old 08-21-2003, 05:24 AM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:

I would be willing to put money on proving this statement wrong. Any decent engine guru or anyone who understands the theory behind an engine will tell you that outright RPM's does not necessarily mean an engine will be better.

The RPM of an engine means nothing if it is not usable. I would rather have an engine producing 1.5hp with a smooth constant powerband throughout the range from whatever to 38000rpm than an engine producing 1.8hp that has a sharp peak powerband with little usable rpm range which only kicks in once it reaches X rpm.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:48 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Out of all the 3 ports I'll stick with my Rody over the JP NS3.
But theres nothing in it.
Tuning baby......tuning
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #29
Tech Master

I have the NS3 and run it in my V-1-RR. It really flies. I also run the Rosy Pixy black turbo motor with a claimed 1.8 HP. I find on our twisty track that both of these are too powerfull and will only be OK on a larger track.

I also run a Mugen MSX-3 with a NovaRossi CV pull start engine with 1.2 HP supposed to be for buggies. Because it has a better lower end torque it suits the track better and has just as good top end and I can get better lap times with this than the other 2

So I suggest you match the engine to the track.
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Tell me this than WHY DOSE THE JP BLACK ENGINS COST SO MUCH and if there not better than the cheaper engin y do most of the pros run them.

Im just asking im not trying to make trouble.