R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-22-2003, 05:36 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
and how does the shape of a TURBO plug help performance.....
Uhm. Really I don't see a power advantage or increase for using a Turbo plug by itself rather for the improvements on the sealing of the combustion chamber and the 'mental hype' of more power that has been associated from their first appearance.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
Maybe I should ask you that why most of people like high-rpm engine rather than more applied torque?Maybe the high-rpm engine sounds louder?
Because they incorrectly associate Rpms with overall power output with abrupts and narrow powerbands?

All depends on which kind of tracks you will race and this dictates what kind of powerband will need you (but people insist on having ridiculous HP numbers at incredible >42000 rpms, where probably they will reach for some tenths of a second during one lap, and if they reach).

Many times, prefeer to focuse on the low and mid rpms, where you're more time comparatively and is here where you can get an advantage over your competition.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 08-22-2003, 05:49 AM   #93
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinyard
Plugs have nuthing to do with WD40 or KY.. its a matter of tight fit only.

Anyway.. one question thou..
Like in 1:1 scale cars and motorbikes, I do check the plugs to see if my motor is burning fuel right.
Is there a guideline to check the plugs if my R/C engines is burning fuel in the optimium level??
At Ron Paris website there's a page who explains very detailed, check http://www.parisracing.com and search around this, there are lots of good info, but with a bad presentation, but really valuable info.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:57 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Corse,you're on the money..(again)..

on one of our tracks,theres a 85 ft backstraight....

I watched last year as this guy with a racer 2(single speed),and a os cvr(SE) would stay with guys with Serpent Impulse's with 2 sp's,and HIGH REVVING RB 5 ports...

the high revving rb wouldn't even be hittings its stride(and he had the lowest serpent gearing)...the os would hang in...

this year,they converted a couple of Impulse's back to single speed,with specially made 2 teeth lower pinions...

now its no contest..the RB pulls the os about 5 ft...

but you know what?....for the extra money,I'd run the os....and that motor still has enough squirt for the infield..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:50 AM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

I watched last year as this guy with a racer 2(single speed),and a os cvr(SE) would stay with guys with Serpent Impulse's with 2 sp's,and HIGH REVVING RB 5 ports...

the high revving rb wouldn't even be hittings its stride(and he had the lowest serpent gearing)...the os would hang in...

this year,they converted a couple of Impulse's back to single speed,with specially made 2 teeth lower pinions...

but you know what?....for the extra money,I'd run the os....and that motor still has enough squirt for the infield..
85 ft straight-it is enough to have pipe kick in at list on 1/3 of the straight.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #96
Tech Elite

again , in my understanding, it is depened on what track are you try to run 42000 RPM. In big truck , like our local, where straight is about 220 feet at list, I can gain more then .5 second and over the 5 minuts it is about half a lap. In small truck with small backstraight ( 150 feet it won't be that efficient) and you will need make different set up on engine. So it is totaly depend of aplication.
BTW, did somebody messure real RPM on the car?
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #97
Tech Elite

Quote:

with 86 ft of straight you will need longer pipe and engine will kick in, and the timing will be different all over.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:02 AM   #98
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
check this out, he knew better then any one of us !
May be of you?
Old 08-24-2003, 11:08 AM   #99
Tech Elite

borring
Old 08-25-2003, 11:06 AM   #100
Tech Elite

OOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:20 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

as for torque being king of the track is over rated
it is a balance of hp and torque. if it was all
about torque everybody would run deisel engines
in 1.1 scale cars
Old 08-25-2003, 11:38 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jwf_frani
in 1.1 scale cars
You are absolutly right. If it is only about the torq-diesel is much better, only one thing is bad about the moddel type diesels-it is very difficult to control RPM at all due to the ignition system-you have to control mixture and compression ratio at the same time-comression ratio is B...ch to control remotly-needs a lot of torq servo. By the way, on control line team racing some diesels are verrrryyyy fast and tuned pipe can be used there too, but still not a glow ignition engine.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:46 PM   #103
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jwf_frani
in 1.1 scale cars
In fact, I believe Ford are planning a return to the BTCC next year with a TDi version of the Focus. That will be interesting to see.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 04:49 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
In fact, I believe Ford are planning a return to the BTCC next year with a TDi version of the Focus. That will be interesting to see.
Well It will be good for Focus, but for Mugen it will not be interesting.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:08 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Uhm.... On the '99 edition of the 24hours of Montmelo (24H Endurance race held in Barcelona, on the same track layout where F1's run) some teams went with different levels of Ibiza TDi engines. I went as a VIP of a friends team who competed and we enjoyed a lot running those Racing Diesels (the car of our team pulled 159Hp at 4300rpms), best of all was the torque, we're talking of more than 39Kgm at only 2500rpms.

Only lasted 17 Hours (retired with a broken gearbox), but some weeks after, we returned to the track and was kinda terrific to do some laps with that car (loved it.... too much fun driving it, you could enter 1gear up and have a lot of power to get out of the hairpins - is another way or racing).