Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #661
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Combustion chamber sizes...

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Regarding combustion chamber sizes....

Changing the combustion chamber you're varying physical engine parameters and changes the way reacts. With a smaller combustion chamber you get more compression, get better low-end, but high end and freerevving capabilities are reduced (because the added compression that the piston and conrod needs to deal with).

Smaller combustion chambers sometimes leads to a more efficient fuel combustion (just remember those old Hemi engines running 12 or 12.5:1 CR's with 87 or 89 octane leaded fuel) on the combustion chamber is all the quiz of the question. But are more prone to preignition and is the most harmful event you can get into an engine.

More compressed engines get better low-end and torque due to the added power of the combustion in a small chamber.

Bigger combustion chambers probably are less 'efficient' but the lack of the added compression gives you more revving capabilities and less compression, means too less heat, less conrod stress and gives you sometimes a more 'round' engine.
Well, I totaly agree about high possability of preignition if our combustion chamber is realy small ( I hope everybody on the same page-we are talking about reasonble limits), but again, there are the different ways to get rid of preignition ( detonation and preignition can ruin entire engine within one minuts or less).
I am not referign to higher compression, I am refering to higher compression ratio. The higher compression ratio-the more power can pull out of engine with lower fuel usage ( please check Surge report from his Regions, BTW he had a very greate detonation and still engine was able to withstand to it-no conrod or piston got damaged, that detonation he had, was result of my mistake).
Higher compression ratio is working very well for low and high end RPMs. If you refereing to compression itself-well as I had mentioned before-I am using my own P/S sets and I have no problem with friction or overforce piston or conrod, just right materials set ups will give to engine what it ask-higher compression at low end and free up at high rev.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #662
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Turbo Glow Plugs / CR issues.

Quote:
... This last is an old trick - just use OS plugs, but this promotes preignition and is dangerous to do it (piston can hit plug if quench area is too tight....[/B]
This is what I was referring to. The A3 body is shorter from the copper washer to the end of the plug than an OS #8 for instance. The shorter A3 pulls the filament higher in the button changing when the fuel hits the filament for combustion. Seems that will change the compression ratio slightly. This experience is based on standard plugs but it makes sense to me for turbo plugs as well, if you are talking about the distance into the combustion chamber that the plug is protruding.
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:37 AM   #663
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs / CR issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by Surge
This is what I was referring to. The A3 body is shorter from the copper washer to the end of the plug than an OS #8 for instance. The shorter A3 pulls the filament higher in the button changing when the fuel hits the filament for combustion. Seems that will change the compression ratio slightly. This experience is based on standard plugs but it makes sense to me for turbo plugs as well, if you are talking about the distance into the combustion chamber that the plug is protruding.
But the design of a Turbo plug doesn't permit it to extend into the combustion chamber. In fact, as I understand it, the whole point of the Turbo plug is the minimal intrusion and impact on the combustion chamber shape together with the better seal afforded by the taper.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:28 AM   #664
Tech Elite

Default Re: Turbo Glow Plugs / CR issues.

Quote:
Many physical issues are involved here.

<SNIP>

2. The internal hole of the plugs are the same, so the capacity of the plug cavity where the filament resides is the same, doesn't matter if you use a 5Tc or a 8Tf. Main difference (and if can be called) is the filament diameter (thinner - thicker). If you're counting the volume displaced by the different thickness of the filament, you are counting in about plus/minus 0.00001 cids.

3. Main difference in mass of the plugs are out of the combustion chamber, so putting a bigger plug you don't remove capacity on the combustion chamber.

<SNIP>

Changing the plug body size you effective change how much heat is drawn from the combustion chamber to the plug (getting more heat and more mass gives you more thermal inertia to light the plug) we don't need to forget that the process that lights the plug is a pure chemical and pressure process).

<SNIP>
OK, I understand that the filament wire diameter is one part of the heat range determination.

If you say that the filament cavity is the same size for all Turbo plugs and the external plug diameter is limited by the thread size, then the only place left for the extra mass is in a longer plug body above the threaded portion, yeah?
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:44 PM   #665
Tech Adept

Guys, anyone out there ever used a Trinity Sirio .12 Outlaw SP12TRPPRO (T) ? It's about $180. Is it a good engine to have? What parts do I need to buy beside the Engine itself? Thanks.
ckh1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:24 PM   #666
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Most people here, as far as I can tell, try to stay away from anything TRINITY
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #667
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Corse,

we are still idling on the starter box, I didn't have much time lately, but you should have first reports soon
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:38 PM   #668
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Corse,

we are still idling on the starter box, I didn't have much time lately, but you should have first reports soon
Ideling on starter box most annoing procedure!!!!!!!!!!!
Everybody stop doing it!!!!!!!!!
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #669
Tech Adept

Stay away from Trinity? OK, I think I should listen to the expert, cause I am new to Nitro.
What Engine will you guys suggest me to buy? What model of Engine, pipe, etc to make a full running engine. Please give me some advise. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:10 PM   #670
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by mtx3racer
what are the needle settings on it right now. I think the stock are about 5 out on the top end, flush on the mid, and 4-4 1/2 on the bottom.
Thanks for the settings mtx3racer. I can't remember the settings I have right now, but the middle is flush and the lower runs OK. So maybe it's the high end that's needing some looking into.
one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:22 AM   #671
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ckh1328
Stay away from Trinity? OK, I think I should listen to the expert, cause I am new to Nitro.
What Engine will you guys suggest me to buy? What model of Engine, pipe, etc to make a full running engine. Please give me some advise. Thanks.
I Like My RB its been a really Good Motor. I just got my STS D3 and it has alot of power when I get it dialed in. Still Making adj. though it Has about 10 tanks through it now. I still think the RB is an easier motor to Deal with but cost a bit more.
Fisher890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:04 AM   #672
Tech Adept

Does anyone know about RB.12 Rear Exhaust Engine? Can it fit the GT4W2L? cause that is a rear exhaust one. And anyone knows about the RPM output of that RB? Does the RB fit other brand of pipe? or it has to combine with a RB pipe?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:11 AM   #673
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to nitroaddict

WOW! That is all I can really say, because this engine left me speachless.

After years of being a die hard OS Max fan, I decided to try something new. The OS smallblocks just wernt putting out the power I needed to stay on top.

Last week, I picked up my new RB Concepts RODY V12 3port.

WOW!

Broke it in according to Rody's instructions on his website, and did some test and tuning over the weekend at a local area. This thing rev's so high, that I am probably pulling a higher max speed in first gear than I was in second gear with the OS. Throughout several tanks of gas, adjusting the needles for maxium performance, the engine never ran hotter than 224 degrees. With its needles set for optimal performance, i was getting avg temp readings of about 210.

One other thing to note, is that throughout the break in process, the tuning process, and a bit of suspension tuning, this engine did not stall once. Ever. I am more impressed with this engine than any other mill i have ever purchased, and would recommend it it to anyone.

I have a bash session scheduled this Thursday night, and a race on the first weekend of December, so we will see how it shines, when put to the test. I have no doubts it will be the fastest engine on the track.
nitroaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #674
Tech Adept

I think I will go for Novarossi NS12S3 .12 Turbo 3 port engine right now. Sorry, I Keep changing my mind. Well, the Novarossi is a big co. as I know, and it's $50 more than the OS, but it's much stronger. Also many stores carry Novarossi more than OS.
So, OS MAX-12TR(P)-T, RB in Yokomo, and NovaNS12S3, which will you pick?
I have one more question, is it any pipe will fit any Engine?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:41 AM   #675
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

Quote:
Originally posted by ckh1328
I think I will go for Novarossi NS12S3 .12 Turbo 3 port engine right now. Sorry, I Keep changing my mind. Well, the Novarossi is a big co. as I know, and it's $50 more than the OS, but it's much stronger. Also many stores carry Novarossi more than OS.
So, OS MAX-12TR(P)-T, RB in Yokomo, and NovaNS12S3, which will you pick?
I have one more question, is it any pipe will fit any Engine?
go for this, won't regret.

eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote