R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #646
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What surge says is true I was his pitman and brought him in at 6:15, but I told him 6 min.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:28 AM   #647
Tech Elite

Default Turbo Glow Plugs

Guys,

What's the difference between these two plugs:

Novarossi Turbo Glow Plug - Long Body
Novarossi Turbo Glow Plug - Short Body

. . . . . also, what are the Nova equivilents to an RB#5 and a RB#6 plug?

Thanks in advance.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:48 AM   #648
Tech Elite

Default Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Guys,

What's the difference between these two plugs:

Novarossi Turbo Glow Plug - Long Body
Novarossi Turbo Glow Plug - Short Body

. . . . . also, what are the Nova equivilents to an RB#5 and a RB#6 plug?

Thanks in advance.

. . . and I thought I was going to get beaten round the head for such a newbie question.

Maybe I should start a "Glow-plug Wars" thread.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #649
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
. . . and I thought I was going to get beaten round the head for such a newbie question.
Try this if you not read it yet.

Now back to the snake pit...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:35 AM   #650
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Try this if you not read it yet.

Now back to the snake pit...
Thanks, I've seen that - but it doesn't answer the questions.
. . . and I thought you Snake people knew everything.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:41 AM   #651
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
Thanks, I've seen that - but it doesn't answer the questions.
Which questions did you not get answered?

With the thickness of the coil it is the same story as the normal plugs but you then have for instance a nr 6 TF plug and a nr 6 TC plug what is the difference between them ?

You have to see it this way:
TF means Turbo Fredda (cold in Italian)
TC means Turbo Calda (hot in Italian)

What makes a plug hotter or colder when it uses the same coil then? The part that is making the change is the plug body the hot TC plug has more material in the plug body (easy to see at the hexagon part were you put your glow plug wrench, this part is thicker).
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:12 AM   #652
Tech Adept

Can anyone tell me the factory needle settings for a nova nsr5?
I've just finished running one in but can't seem to get the mid/high end transition smooth - a very nasty cough before hitting the high end. Oh, it's fitted to a stock ntc3 single chamber right now if that's any help. Thank you, all help very much appreciated.
one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:17 AM   #653
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

what are the needle settings on it right now. I think the stock are about 5 out on the top end, flush on the mid, and 4-4 1/2 on the bottom.
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:17 AM   #654
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Which questions did you not get answered?

With the thickness of the coil it is the same story as the normal plugs but you then have for instance a nr 6 TF plug and a nr 6 TC plug what is the difference between them ?

You have to see it this way:
TF means Turbo Fredda (cold in Italian)
TC means Turbo Calda (hot in Italian)

What makes a plug hotter or colder when it uses the same coil then? The part that is making the change is the plug body the hot TC plug has more material in the plug body (easy to see at the hexagon part were you put your glow plug wrench, this part is thicker).
Yep, I understand the heat range principals - essentially different wall thicknesses of plugs.

I'm asking about the differences between Long Body Turbo Plugs and Short Body ones. I'm guessing this refers to the depth of the hole that houses the fillament, but really don't know.
I was looking at THIS
Old 11-17-2003, 08:40 AM   #655
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Yeah, these prices are irresistable...
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:39 AM   #656
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
Yep, I understand the heat range principals - essentially different wall thicknesses of plugs.

I'm asking about the differences between Long Body Turbo Plugs and Short Body ones. I'm guessing this refers to the depth of the hole that houses the fillament, but really don't know.
I was looking at THIS
The shorter plug will raise the filament away from piston changing the combustion chamber volume slightly. Whether that's an advantage or disadvantage, I don't know.
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:27 AM   #657
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by Surge
The shorter plug will raise the filament away from piston changing the combustion chamber volume slightly. Whether that's an advantage or disadvantage, I don't know.
Wrong! Is a matter of how much heat you can rob from the combustion chamber drawing it to the plug. Seems that you haven't read the snake page provided by InitalD.

On a long body plug (warm plug), robs more heat from the combustion chamber and since has more mass it stays more time hotter, ready to glow and ignite the fuel mixture on the next cycle.

On a short body plug (cold plug), draws less heat and since has less mass it cools sooner than the warm.

With the combination of the filament and the body you can finetune what you want on your engine, better low-end pickup (lower number and warm plugs) or improve the high-end with a colder and higher number plug and modify where on the compression time you want to ignite the fuel.

.12 engines love the 6Tf and 7Tf. Sometimes 5Tf (very cold temps or very small tracks up to 16% Nitro). But for 20 to 30% Nitro, the way to go is a 6 or 7Tf.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #658
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
With the combination of the filament and the body you can finetune what you want on your engine, better low-end pickup (lower number and warm plugs) or improve the high-end with a colder and higher number plug and modify where on the compression time you want to ignite the fuel.
I will be disagree with you. I will prefer to keep combustion chamber volum as small as pissible and don't adjust ignating moment by head shims. The smaller combustion chamber volum is-the bettter power you can pull out of it. But in this case we need to work out issue with glow plug withstanding such a great stress. It has noting to do with preignition or detanation, this two things can e fight without raise combustion volume.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #659
Tech Elite

Default Turbo Glow Plugs / CR issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I will be disagree with you. I will prefer to keep combustion chamber volum as small as pissible and don't adjust ignating moment by head shims. The smaller combustion chamber volum is-the bettter power you can pull out of it. But in this case we need to work out issue with glow plug withstanding such a great stress. It has noting to do with preignition or detanation, this two things can e fight without raise combustion volume.
Many physical issues are involved here.

1. Turbo plugs are conical and make contact with the internal (and conical shape) of the combustion button, so as much you can tighten your plug, where collides with the plug button will not screw more on the threads and you can 'screw' the plug button by tightening like a gorilla the plug into the threads and warp it.

2. The internal hole of the plugs are the same, so the capacity of the plug cavity where the filament resides is the same, doesn't matter if you use a 5Tc or a 8Tf. Main difference (and if can be called) is the filament diameter (thinner - thicker). If you're counting the volume displaced by the different thickness of the filament, you are counting in about plus/minus 0.00001 cids.

3. Main difference in mass of the plugs are out of the combustion chamber, so putting a bigger plug you don't remove capacity on the combustion chamber.

Changing the the number of the plug (4 - 8) you're changing effectively the point where the mixture ignites, going too far, you can produce preignition (pinging) on your engine and get you plug button and piston top sandblasted.

Changing the plug body size you effective change how much heat is drawn from the combustion chamber to the plug (getting more heat and more mass gives you more thermal inertia to light the plug) we don't need to forget that the process that lights the plug is a pure chemical and pressure process).

For effectively changing the compression ratio on a engine you have many ways to do it (deck the liner, reduce the quench area of the plug button - removing head shims or doing a complete brand new plug button, put a plug that protrudes into the combustion chamber). This last is an old trick - just use OS plugs, but this promotes preignition and is dangerous to do it (piston can hit plug if quench area is too tight. Another way to do it on normal plugs (non turbo) is to slightly sanding the cooper shim that comes with the plug.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 11-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #660
Tech Elite

Default Combustion chamber sizes...

Regarding combustion chamber sizes....

Changing the combustion chamber you're varying physical engine parameters and changes the way reacts. With a smaller combustion chamber you get more compression, get better low-end, but high end and freerevving capabilities are reduced (because the added compression that the piston and conrod needs to deal with).

Smaller combustion chambers sometimes leads to a more efficient fuel combustion (just remember those old Hemi engines running 12 or 12.5:1 CR's with 87 or 89 octane leaded fuel) on the combustion chamber is all the quiz of the question. But are more prone to preignition and is the most harmful event you can get into an engine.

More compressed engines get better low-end and torque due to the added power of the combustion in a small chamber.

Bigger combustion chambers probably are less 'efficient' but the lack of the added compression gives you more revving capabilities and less compression, means too less heat, less conrod stress and gives you sometimes a more 'round' engine.