Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I would suggest 4x3 will be OK, wooden.
Sounds weird to hear a prop size that small. I'm used to talking to my father about 10x6's for his .46 size plane engines. Makes sense though. How about cycling? Every 2 minutes? at what temperature?
Old 10-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Surge
Sounds weird to hear a prop size that small. I'm used to talking to my father about 10x6's for his .46 size plane engines. Makes sense though. How about cycling? Every 2 minutes? at what temperature?
.46 isn't .12, so it is required smaller prop. I used to run engine for 10 minuts non stop (5 reach, 3 mid range and 2 on 75% tunening). That is all procedure. But it is for engine which done "right". Most likely for Novas engines it will take at list 30-40 minuts with different timing.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Top Gun

Top Gun, did you receive my PM? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Nitro Tech

Another beast.....

RB V15 small block .15
http://www.rbproducts.com/rbww/engin...700-000730.htm
Old 10-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Top Gun

Originally posted by InitialD
Top Gun, did you receive my PM? Thanks.
Sure, I got it.
I just have to much and didn't have time to respond right a way.
I will replay later today.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think I've seen posted in this thread that AAC is better than ABC since the aluminum sleeve expands/contracts more similarly to the aluminum piston than the brass sleeves. If Aluminum/Chrome and Brass/Chrome sleeves both use chrome linings, how do the AC sleeves have better thermal expansion characteristics to match the aluminum piston? Does the chrome expand and contract more than the aluminum or brass so it's not the critical material for expansion? It seems to me that the chrome is a harder metal (since it's used for minimizing wear from friction) so it would expand/contract less or slower than the aluminum or brass.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:42 AM
Tech Elite

I'm guessing elliptacle shape is for strength.
Yep, is an old Hot-Rodder trick for the 1:1 engine conrods, basically removes the sharp edges to remove stress risers that can compromise the integrity of the conrod.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Corse-R
Yep, is an old Hot-Rodder trick for the 1:1 engine conrods, basically removes the sharp edges to remove stress risers that can compromise the integrity of the conrod.
What is 1:1 conrods? Realy first time hear it.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

I think I've seen posted in this thread that AAC is better than ABC since the aluminum sleeve expands/contracts more similarly to the aluminum piston than the brass sleeves. If Aluminum/Chrome and Brass/Chrome sleeves both use chrome linings, how do the AC sleeves have better thermal expansion characteristics to match the aluminum piston? Does the chrome expand and contract more than the aluminum or brass so it's not the critical material for expansion? It seems to me that the chrome is a harder metal (since it's used for minimizing wear from friction) so it would expand/contract less or slower than the aluminum or brass.
It is realy interesting topic. I have copy of this question from RB forum, where Rody put his opinion on this: "AAC piston/sleeve combinations is not really new, it is used is some competition plane-engines, however in car use it seems that this solution is not really very suitable due to the many variations in engine temperature the carburation seems not very stable for which what I have seen".
I personaly disagree with that, actualy it is much easier to control temperature on AAC then other type of set ups. I will test my AAC this Saturday at KZ ( if I find digital servos) and I will post my results on it. As I know Sirio AAC are working pretty good and people don't have any problem with that ( beside cranshaft pin hardness). Some guys claiming-the life of AAC isn't long enough, but I think it is related to how it was taken care then AAC constrauction itself. AAC been used for last 20 years all over the world in airmodeling and boating and so far I personaly didn't hear from there anything like that ( short life because of AAC). I see more advantages in AAC then disatvantages, this is why I try to stick with it.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
What is 1:1 conrods? Realy first time hear it.
1:1 scale, as in real, full size cars
Old 10-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is your inbox full again TP ???
Old 10-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know of the old x12 nova engines but is this one a new nova or a mod?

http://www.mugenracing.com/whatsnew/x12.html
Old 10-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
I know of the old x12 nova engines but is this one a new nova or a mod?

http://www.mugenracing.com/whatsnew/x12.html
IMO,it's NovaMax with Mugen Packaging.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Is your inbox full again TP ???
No it is not I am clearing it daily. If you can't send PM, send me email please.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

I got first results from testing. It is so exited and so unbelivble, don't realy want to give details. Just can tell you, tryed AAC, ABC and Berilium. Run in time 2 minuts on bench at idle, 3 laps with 50% throtle and then full throtle ( all set ups-AAC, ABC and berilium the same). Mugen fuel, 20% nitro ( can't find lower nitro fuel at all).
7-8 tanks per set, stays easy aganst any 5 port outlaw ( actualy passing all of them on any part of track), temperature ( I don't mesure at all) but somebody came and mesure it, was 205-217 F, run time-this is most unbelivble I have never see-between 7min 35 second to 8 min 08 second. Timed four times. Still don't belive it and didn't analize it yet, will do it tonight. Didn't change tunning between swapping the Piston sleeve sets, just swap the sets and no needle was touched at all. My next step is to check how long it will last at this performance.
Dino, saw your "Dragon" 5 port. Very impressive engine. I just noticed the guys Had hard time to tune it, but performance was good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.