R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #211
Tech Elite

Default Re: heyyyy

Quote:
Originally posted by HELLION
I just used the sleeve as an example there top gun! There are many other things that can be done . My engines are extremely fast extremely illegal and are extremely fuel efficient! OK that last one was pure B.S. they guzzel gas like a V8
Uhm... the photo isn't much clear, but seems to have a Procharger (or is a Paxton???) Could be a Rustang engine bay?

Did a new engine for mine boat past year and got wild with it, ended with a 540cid and 10.2:1 CR who pulled slightly more than 730Hp @ 5800rpms and almost 700Lbs/Ft at a 5100rpms. This is a real guzzler (now, will be happy if I keep from blowing lower sections of the drive) Probably in the future I'd EFI it, now I'm too lazy for it.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 06:45 AM   #212
Tech Fanatic

Default Paxton? blaaaaaaaaaak

That was a Vortech S Trim in my 87 Vette I think that pic. was pre nitrous. And corser I got one for ya, I'm building a really obnoxious 66'cobra that is sure ta get my license jerked. 13 ta 1 stroker chev with a pro
race fogger an twin bottles. Ill take some shots for ya .And a rat with 700 lbs of torque in a boat that has a (I'm guessing here) a 60%duty cycle? I wana ski behind dat And if this download works this is a pic of a 671 I stuffed in a 85 vette. I switched it all over to a 2" belt and still had to move the rack forward a inch to clear and it had laughing gas too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imga0470 hard ta see.jpg (109.9 KB, 107 views)
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:04 AM   #213
Tech Elite

Default Re: Paxton? blaaaaaaaaaak

Quote:
And a rat with 700 lbs of torque in a boat that has a (I'm guessing here) a 60%duty cycle? I wana ski behind dat And if this download works this is a pic of a 671 I stuffed in a 85 vette. I switched it all over to a 2" belt and still had to move the rack forward a inch to clear and it had laughing gas too
Nope, actually is driven by a mere 830cfm Holley carb (vacuum secondaries) tweaked by Pro Systems. Engine loved more cam and probably more carb, but with a 950HP the idle was really rough and gave some problems. Probably next year will get a FAST SFI ecu and some 42Lb injectors. But actually purrs at 800rpms. Is pretty scary to hear when secondaries open fully and the fuel starts to disappear quickly.

Weiland? Naaah! Ditch that and see Whipple units, far efficient (See the Quad Rotor monster ).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sleeve desings

Quote:
Originally posted by Jump 7 Miles

Yes, I live in LA and I might take up your offer one of these day.

One of your posts talked about lapping the piston and sleeve before break in the engine and what I want to ask is what should be the fit between the piston and sleeve, slip fit or interference fit? And when you lap the piston and sleeve, do you consider what temperature the engine is going to run at and then determine the fit?

Thanks in advance.

WT
Hi 7 miles. I will be happy to have you in my house and talk about engines.
About lapping-everything is taking to considaration-temp expantion, normal break in worn out. Actualy I am not big fan of a lot of comression, from my expirience and knolodge, a lot compression doesn't help for high performance. It is long story of discusion, but the best results were always on the engines with berrely compression (at working temperature). Tight fit on P/S set has nothing to do with life of engine (pretty common mistaken assumption-more compression initialy doesn't mean longer engine life).
I don't know these words "slip" and "Interference" in terms to aplly for lapping. Can you please describe more what did you meant by these words (my english issue).
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.

Last edited by Top Gun 777; 09-11-2003 at 12:55 PM.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:06 PM   #215
Tech Fanatic

Default WHIPPLE?

Whipple: (pocket blowers) are to wimpey! They work good on trucks that pull trailers and pull about 6 lbs of boost. But I will agree with ya on the real roots blowers (over kill) I have had the best luck with Vortec S & R trims ... Pic is my glory days (no antenna)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imga0464.jpg (69.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 09-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #216
Tech Fanatic

Default Did I read that right?

Do you really think higher compression hurts the over all performance ???? T -gun????? If so I would definitely like to hear your explanation.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:43 PM   #217
Tech Elite

Default Re: Did I read that right?

Quote:
Do you really think higher compression hurts the over all performance ???? T -gun????? If so I would definitely like to hear your explanation.
If I am thinking high compression at working temp hirt performance? Not only thinking, I know it for fact, it is not even question for me.
Give me call, I will expalne to you.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:45 PM   #218
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Did I read that right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
If I am thinking high compression at working temp hirt performance? Not only thinking, I know it for fact, it is not even question for me.
I also have found that playing with the compression ratio can be used to tune the motors powerband to the track conditions. Is this what you are talking about 777?

Lower compression will allow the motor to achieve higher RPM but will reduce some low end punch.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #219
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Did I read that right?

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I also have found that playing with the compression ratio can be used to tune the motors powerband to the track conditions. Is this what you are talking about 777?

Lower compression will allow the motor to achieve higher RPM but will reduce some low end punch.
Not realy, I am plaing with compression ratio to tune for wether condition and plug availability, but for track condition preferd work with pipe.
Actualy not that easy, but looks like in two words
Old 09-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Did I read that right?

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer

As long as burned gases not escape from combustion chamber before exhaust time came-it will not hirt anything
Old 09-11-2003, 07:00 PM   #221
Tech Elite

Check previos posts, there is post from jwf-franni, I did lapping for his cusine JP .21 P/S set and from "nowhere" he got some power gain-you think it is magic? I didn't do anything else there, just right set up-that was all.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:26 PM   #222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111

U have PM
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:32 PM   #223
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think that what TG means is that if the piston-sleve fit is too tight, theres too much friction therefore performance is lost. Its known that even if a motor is broken-in the right way, the braking-in process is not finids until at least a galon of fuel has been through the engine.

Im no expert, but I believe that engines perform the best after a gallon of fuel has been in it, the reason is that the interference fit at operating temp is not very tight, but tight enough to avoid blow by. So, if you dont have the friction of a tight piston-sleve fit at operating temp you're not robing the engine of power. Its a fine line from too tight to too loose of a fit, but when the fit is just right it will last a while if the engine is well taken care of.

I hope I made sence.

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:46 PM   #224
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Did I read that right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I totally agree with that statement. Straight from break-in it had less compression, but it still ripped and continues to rip.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:40 AM   #225
Tech Fanatic

Default JUST A THOUGHT!

I'm not implying that you are wrong 777 but there are allot of contingencies based on compression,running temp ect. But I do know this :allot of guys are under the false pretence do to the fact that when a engine starts to lose compression it gains rpm. The most important component in horsepower is torque and this is what you lose when a engine starts to lose compression . this can be proven on a dyno. You can have all the r.p.m.s you want but if your engine lacks torque.then you just reinvented the rubber band. I.E Lets say your engine has a max r.p.m output of 40,000 but your max powerband (torque) kicks out at 35,000. This simpley states that anything above 35,000 exceeds the power limit as the power of the motor diminishes after that point! This is why when you have a car tested on a dyno the test results will give you your highest horsepower and torque intersect readings so you know your maximum powerband