R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-12-2004, 06:16 AM   #691
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
Haha...I see my car is becoming even more famous now!!!!
is it you selling yours?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:27 AM   #692
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
is it you selling yours?
Like I said before...first USD500 takes mine!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #693
Tech Adept

I'm putting together a spare parts list...have a couple questions.

Anyone know if the steering knuckles and the plastic they are made of is the same on all the LD3 kits ? What about suspension arms do I order the pro versions or some other optional version ? Note that I will be dealing with Ofna USA or it's distributors...

The build is going good, taking my time since we still got 2 feet of snow up here Only one complaint so far and it has to do with the outdrive bearing fit in the diff cases...little up and down slop happening there, easy enough to work out though.
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #694
Tech Master

ok this is as far as I know (mine are HN not OFNA)

All Kits have same knuckles, apparently you can buy optional alloy ones (if not now, soon?)

LD3 RTR/STD comes with thiner arms compared to LD3 Pro, so just order a set (or 2) of Pro arms. Also available are MC Nylon arms but the pro arms are fine (and a lot cheaper )
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:49 AM   #695
Tech Fanatic

hi, does anybody have problems stripping spur gears??
Old 02-15-2004, 12:58 AM   #696
Tech Master

only when your mesh is not right
or picking up rocks..
Old 02-15-2004, 01:07 AM   #697
Tech Fanatic

no nightmare the mesh is perfect dude, im pretty sure its the rocks, but its not very good man as ive already gone thorugh 2 sets now!! not happy jan!! but other then that the car is great!
Old 02-15-2004, 03:49 AM   #698
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Team-RTR
hi, does anybody have problems stripping spur gears??
Are you just stripping only the second speed gear? If so, this can be caused by over adjusting the play on the 2 speed friction shoes.....you should not go to far with the grub screws inside the friction shoes....this has caused me to strip a gear before......

Besides that it is usually down to gear mesh...or engine mounting screws being too loose....
Old 02-15-2004, 03:51 AM   #699
dtm
Tech Champion

Oh....rocks will be pretty obvious too.....nice big chunk missing from the pinnion side....that original alloy is quite soft.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:28 AM   #700
Tech Master

Default Heeeelp!!!!

I keep on losing teeth on the small 10t gears in the diff When I orginally put them together all seemed well but something was obviously I am doing something wrong, any assistance, suggestions or tips will be appreciated.

Can you buy a ball diff for the LD-3??? I've looked on the Hong Nor and Ofna sites but their is no information on them and I have asked but silence is the reply!
speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #701
dtm
Tech Champion

What do you mean by losing teeth in the diff?? are they breaking?? first time I've heard .........the diff gears are about the best I've seen...bar none.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #702
Tech Adept

Did you add the 3 shims as per the manual ? those shims adjust the crown and pinion gear mesh and side to side play. Also check and see if your diff outdrive bearings are being held tightly in the diff case...the fit of the large outdrive bearings in the diff cases of mine left a little to be desired....had some up and down slop even after adding the required shims that deal with gear mesh and side to side play. I did some shimming in the lower bearing seat of my diff cases to rectify that slight problem. One other little mis-alignment I spotted is with the aluminum brake mount...when you get the diffs and brake mount bolted to the chassis back the 4 brake mount screws off and look at the daylight you see underneath it...I'm making a shim to fit so as to bring everything into good alignment.
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:53 PM   #703
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
What do you mean by losing teeth in the diff?? are they breaking?? first time I've heard .........the diff gears are about the best I've seen...bar none.
The diff(s) started to slip, so when I dismantled it I found one of the diff gears was missing a tooth! - it had found a safe place to hide in the small "pin" slot.

I have had this problem on the front and rear diffs, the front must of siezed for a while because the 16t gear on the end of the drive shaft was also stripped.
speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #704
Tech Master

The only thing I can think of is you are running grease and the diff is seeing a LOT of diff action (spinning one wheel and not other). Use silicone diff oil.

Even when my diff case came apart (ie no lube and very bad mesh) and I won 20min final like it the diff gears only had very small damage (I am still amazed) Ball diff? no thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 11:32 PM   #705
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Heeeelp!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by speedbump
I keep on losing teeth on the small 10t gears in the diff When I orginally put them together all seemed well but something was obviously I am doing something wrong, any assistance, suggestions or tips will be appreciated.
i used to get the same problem, i went through 2 crown gears! the problem is in the mesh, i just shimmed the crown gears a bit more forward and voila! problem solved!