R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #211
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapid Roy
Your clutch shoes could be slipping. This would cause you thrust bearing to spin a high speeds causing the failure. Check the shoes for oil fouling or glazing. Make sure that they are clean and smooth as well as the inside of the clutch bell.
agree with that. besides, the clutch pad has minor problem which causes blinding with the flywheel clutch pin and this also make the clutch slips but this problem can easily be fixed.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:34 PM   #212
sup
Tech Addict

so, what centax type clutch type/brand have you guys used for the ld3 guys?

Last edited by sup; 12-10-2003 at 08:40 PM.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:29 PM   #213
Tech Master

I agreee with rapid boy..

InitialD if your shoes are slipping a lot that means the thrust bearing is taking weight, bearing will no longer be floating and the gear side of bearing will be spinning at engine RPM because one end of that bearing is being pressed on the screw keeping the clutch on crank and the other on clutch bell (that's spinning at a higher speed and for longer then "normal" because of shoes slipping more then they should)

also I guess it's possible the centax clutch could be set to engage too late, so engine is reving a lot before clutch is starting to drive. Thrust bearing will be spining a lot when shoes press clutch on bearing and clutch engages.

Ive had my bell glazed up on my 1/8 buggy before, lost acceleration/punch etc.. Cleaned it up with some emery paper she was back to like new <grin>
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:23 AM   #214
Tech Master

Sup - I am just using the clutch that came with my LD3 pro kit (SG crank required)

If you buy seperate it is around US$49
Here the clutch on the hong nor web site
Power Clutch (30mm) Part # LS08

Those gears below are the alum ones, I wore mine out pretty quick so I am now using the steel ones.

I believe the clutches built for NTC3 will fit also, ie kfactory etc. (anyone?)

Quote:
Originally posted by sup
so, what centax type clutch type/brand have you guys used for the ld3 guys?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:45 AM   #215
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Nice price. I may have to order that clutch from RC Mushroom after all, depending on how shipping is to the US

If that champion edition all-the-bells-and-whistles-included version comes out, however, I may just buy one of those instead of replacing all the parts on my RTR (the only one available when they first came out, and I needed to get a car!)
Old 12-11-2003, 03:02 PM   #216
Tech Master

Even with airmail still great savings.. Im very happy with how much money I have saved

Well if the champion edition ends up being $330 as estimated its a darn good buy.. Its coming this month so King said. I want it but Ive got 2 LD3 pros and a LD3 std so I think thats enough
Old 12-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #217
Tech Master

If it is 330 us, I will get it. The price of all the hop ups by themselves is more than that
Old 12-11-2003, 03:33 PM   #218
Tech Master

Just get the spring set for the $10.whatever it is and a few spares and you will be set..

I'm happy enough with my LD3 Pro (HN version) though if the champion edition was out when I got my pro I know what way I would of went...
Old 12-11-2003, 03:38 PM   #219
Tech Master

Well, I already got the springs, installed the 6 gear diff, changed the arms and replaced the pads with the carbon ones. I wanted to get another car for next season anyway, so it would be a good deal. I was (and still am) considering the new Serpent 710 and the R40 as another car, but if a full op LD3 runs near the same price, why not get that? At least I'll have spares for both cars...
Old 12-11-2003, 03:59 PM   #220
Tech Master

Sounds like my new car the LD3 standard, with carbon brakes etc... I was not going to get the 6 gear diff upgrades in but at $5.42 its hard to resist lol... I have not replaced arms or installed gears yet but I will one day

I have not raced the standard version yet, and it came 80% re-built with 1.5deg anti squat front and rear, also to my surprise had aluminium shocks

I'll see how it goes this w/end (race day). The stock black springs are very soft hey, might put the harder ones on before I even put it on the track

And Yes, one big plus for running two LD3's is the amount of spares you carry Plus the LD3 spares would have to be cheaper then the spares for 710 or R40 ???
Old 12-11-2003, 07:56 PM   #221
sup
Tech Addict

i too have a standard kit.. am quite happy with it.. a sad thing though, no parts in our LHS (as of the moment).. i plan to change the clutch to the centax type ones coz i find the shoe type not responsive enough.. do you guys know any tips to make the shoe type clutch a little more responsive? have not broken any parts yet.. crashed thrice already (2 in the streets, 1 at the tracks), have not broken anything yet.. just lost the screws that are supposed to keep the shocks in place (upper part). springs! ..i need harder springs! the whole under chasis looks like its been through a year of hard core racing! hehe! any alternative springs that might work with the ld3 (will the associated ones or ob4 ones work)? thanks!
Old 12-12-2003, 05:32 AM   #222
Tech Master

With my old 1/8 buggy clutch I drilled holes in the shoes to make them lighter = engage later.... my new clutch has stronger springs so no need..

Just start with small hole, its a lot easier to make a small hole larger then a hole thats too big smaller....

Maybe Also Read - http://www.nitrorc.com/articles/clutch.html
Old 12-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #223
sup
Tech Addict

thanks for the tip nightmare! will try it out within the week..
Old 12-15-2003, 08:11 AM   #224
Tech Master

Quote:
any alternative springs that might work with the ld3 (will the associated ones or ob4 ones work)? thanks
I believe the springs from the OB4 should work in a pinch.

Nightmare, thanx for the price list on the other PM!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:22 AM   #225
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

check www.ofna.com site under option link. you will see the optional spring sets there.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote