R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-13-2004, 06:52 AM   #1606
Tech Apprentice

Very intresting, gona have to check into that. Clutch shoes and trans bearing before i replace the spur. Do they make them in aluminum, the spur gears, I think I saw them somewhere but can't rember where.... Thanks for the reply y'all...
Blaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:01 AM   #1607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Dunno about steel spur gears. I'd check the mesh and hope it was just a stray rock that got stuck between the chassis and the gear that killed the spur. That's how I stripped mine, and I think that was the only time.

I tried the floating rear mount. Now I have to figure out where to go with the suspension. Instead of rolling around the corners, the rear seems to either drag or skip around the corners. Also, I'm getting a rather nasty spin coming out the corner with some gas. Really disconcerting. Softer springs in the back? (I think I'm on either the Ofna purple or copper, can't remember at work)

Even with all that (tricky rear end, fried glow plugs) I managed to come in 2nd this sunday!
Old 07-13-2004, 08:00 AM   #1608
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Try the softer springs in the rear and also try a lower shore tire(as in a softer tire). Also, good job on Sunday.

"Slow and steady wins the race"
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:17 AM   #1609
Tech Fanatic

Default Upcoming Race!

Hello fellow racers! Sunday July 18th marks the first race for The Big Apple Radio Control Automoblile Racers Club! RACERS WHO LIKE TO HAVE A GOOD TIME AT THE TRACK... YOU ARE ALL OFFICIALLY INVITED TO OUR INAUGURAL RACE SUNDAY JULY 18TH!... COME HELP TO 'BREAK-IN' THE BIG APPLE!!! For out-of-towners I will look into the hotels closest to the track and post their info here. THE BIG APPLE 'BREAK-IN RUN'!!! CLASSES TO BE RUN ARE; 1/8TH 4wd OPEN 1/8TH 4wd GTP 200mm 1/10TH TOURING CAR The race will be held at Middlesex County College 2600 Woodbridge Ave Edison, NJ Lot# 6-A. You can use Expedia, Mapquest or Yahoo maps for directions to the race site. Our Web site is still in the works and will include amongst other things directions to our race site. The race will be run by seasoned veteran Mr. Tom Baffer Sr. who has put on more great races than most. We are confident we will have a smooth day. In preperation for the event we will hold our own 'MOCK RACE' prior to the race to test the system's capabilities and assure you a good day of racing. The clubs officers are all working VERY hard to make this and every event we hold a memorable one! EVERYBODY BRING YOUR 'A' GAME OR (as Charlie Williams says) MARINATE!:-) Hope to see you there! Chavo Figueroa Big Apple R/C If you have any questions my e-mail addy is [email protected]
NitroHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:04 PM   #1610
Tech Apprentice

spenzalii try softer tires w/medium springs to get the spin outs, out. Also I noticed on my car it holds the corners real tight since I added the graffite/aluminum shock tower i guess less flex than stock. congrats on ur 2nd place run w/bum gears and all.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:22 PM   #1611
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

also see if your chassis is bent mine bent i I replaced about 3 gears before i realized.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:37 AM   #1612
Tech Master

I figured on going with the springs. I thing I have 40 shore all around (that may be all that's in the box) so I'll drop down on the springs before I grab some more tires.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have a problem with serious coning on the left rear tire? I usually have -2 degrees camber back there, but I may have to go to 3 or 4 to keep the tire even. I know with foam you adjust for even tire wear, but that seems a bit excessive.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:24 AM   #1613
Tech Adept

Default Camber foam tires

Hi Spenzalii

Yep! my rear tires cone bad (currently running -2.5 in back).

Front tires are doing pretty good with -2 camber.

Also I believe the quality of the foam tires makes a big difference.
When I use TRC tires the coning was not as bad, but I just used speedminds last weekend and all four tires were coning after just one race. Normally with TRC tires the fronts appear to have no coning with the rears showing only a small amount of coning. So I'll go back to TRC tires, evey though they cost more.

Just my 2 cents worth.

VRF201
VRF201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:30 AM   #1614
Tech Elite

Quote:
Also I believe the quality of the foam tires makes a big difference.
This hobby requires no cheap purchases. Go for the best or go home!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:20 AM   #1615
Tech Master

That's true. I found just about anything cones. I usually run either Speedmind or Fast Tires for now, and that tire is coned pretty bad. I may try to have them trued next time out if I find someone that will do it for me. I may try those GQ tires in a while.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #1616
Tech Adept

Try the twister tires if you get the chance.
IDrinkNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #1617
Tech Elite

Monotuning tires are great too!:nod
Old 07-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #1618
Tech Apprentice

ennettii arn't bad ethier......min. coneing for me w/ -2.5 in the rear...
Old 07-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #1619
Tech Regular

Coning is a serious problem but I figuered it out.

At least on my 2 LD3's and my friends LD3 (Angel 727) I use 4 degress on the right and 4.5 to 5 on the right side. I know you may think it's wierd, so does everyone I tell about my set-up. Ha ha, but they don't say anything once my car goes flying y them on the track. I think it's just an LD3 thing but my tires wear evenly now and the car runs very well w/ the set up. I have noticed that no matter how much I lay down my rear shocks the role on the car is significant enough to cause outer tire wear unless you do this. Performance is not hindered at all, in my case the car handles quite well, better than w/ 2 deg everybody tries to convince me to use.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:33 PM   #1620
Tech Master

3.5 Deg on rear here using speedmind foams 4deg was too much and 3deg not enough. This also depends on your shocks and track setup so you may need more or less.

Ive never had a problem with the fronts, 2 deg I think there.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote