R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-13-2002, 03:19 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its a final drive problem. The NTC3 is a little better than the MTX. actually about perfect. The Yokomo is a little high. the MTX a little low. The serpent just about right.

It has to do with the differential ratio, or on a belt car the rear pulley to main shaft ratio. Remember the NTC3 uses an actual driven differential with bevel gears in leiu of a pulley belt config for its diff ratio. You still have pinion spur combos to work with and those are coupled to the diff ratio.

That straight is about 190 if I remember.
I was going flat about ten feet to early with my MTX2 geared as high as I could go.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
its a final drive problem. The NTC3 is a little better than the MTX. actually about perfect. The Yokomo is a little high. the MTX a little low. The serpent just about right.

It has to do with the differential ratio, or on a belt car the rear pulley to main shaft ratio. Remember the NTC3 uses an actual driven differential with bevel gears in leiu of a pulley belt config for its diff ratio. You still have pinion spur combos to work with and those are coupled to the diff ratio.

I was going flat about ten feet to early with my MTX2 geared as high as I could go.
I see so it has a good internal ratio. I have heard that the shaft drive cars are difficult to gear for more from the fact that they generate more wheelspin due to the direct drive from the shaft. Also they generate more torque steer for the same reason. Anybody have experience with this?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 04:16 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Macky Send a message via Yahoo to Macky

That is a picture of the track before they made it bigger. That is the track I run my cars at. Great track.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 02:18 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Motorman you said you used a 21 tooth pinion, is this the biggest Mugen makes? I think I read somewhere that Yokomo makes 23 tooth pinion that fits Centax, does this sound correct? I could be wrong, probably am!
SHARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:06 AM   #20
Tech Master

Yes I discovered as you did that yokomo pinions fit the mugen hardware. So I ordered some taller pinions. I did not discover this until recently. 21 is the biggest mugen makes. You will have to do some finageling around with the engine mounting holes I believe to run a 23 as I don't think there will be enough adjustment room. but I'm not sure yet. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this

Last edited by Motorman; 01-15-2002 at 11:10 AM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:40 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Most of us in Sydney are running 18 and 22t pinnions on mugen power clutch. As far as I know they are just 1/8th mugen pinnions
muugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:50 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Oh yeah my engine is already on a slight angle with 22t - 47t so you would have to slot the holes out a bit for 23
muugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 08:14 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Yes I discovered as you did that yokomo pinions fit the mugen hardware. So I ordered some taller pinions. I did not discover this until recently. 21 is the biggest mugen makes. You will have to do some finageling around with the engine mounting holes I believe to run a 23 as I don't think there will be enough adjustment room. but I'm not sure yet. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this
22T 2nd is the tallest Mugen make (yellowish colour). These just fit without no mods with the standard spurs. The Yokomo pinion will fit the Mugen clutchbell but Im sure that you will need to enlarge the engine mount holes on the chassis to shift the engine around alittle.

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:14 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to PeterC
Default No more 200mm Touring WC!

BUMMER! I just read on the Serpent site that ROAR has recently asked IFMAR to change the upcoming Touring WC(world championships) to the Touring World Cup. There will still be two classes running at the Ohio track but only one will be a real WC.

Anyone care to confirm this?
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:14 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to PeterC
Default No more 200mm Touring WC! :cry:

BUMMER! I just read on the Serpent site that ROAR has recently asked IFMAR to change the upcoming Touring WC(world championships) to the Touring World Cup. There will still be two classes running at the Ohio track but only one will be a real WC.

Anyone care to confirm this?
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:46 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:

Dennis - What do you think of the ratios for the V-ONE R as you mentioned the NTC3, MTX-2, and the GT-4???
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:19 AM   #27
Tech Master

adel
I would like to comment on that for you but I have never seen a v1r up close in person or on the track at any race I have been to back here. I have just looked at one through the box at the store. If I can find some numbers on Kyoshos site I will check and give you an opinion. I don't know what the rear belt axle ratio is on those.

Yes your comment on the 200 MM race appears to be true and it is also going to be filled after everyone who wants to race 15 2wd signs up. It will get the left overs. Sucks huh.

Last edited by Motorman; 01-18-2002 at 01:21 AM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:10 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Be glad this race is only a cup. In the next 1-2 years they will have a real world champs for 200mm .12s only. That will be the real thing, 150 spots, all that good stuff. They were still going to wait for the 2wd 235mm cars to fill first, even when it was going to be a 200mm WC.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 11:50 PM   #29
Tech Master

Hey if you want to run that track the 200MM ROAR nationals are there this year. entry forms go up this week. only 140 slots so don't drag your feet if you want to go.