R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
Yes, you're right. I'm the bad guy for trying to help new people. Maybe I should bash them like your buddy does. On second thought, I'd rather help someone new than win a race but that's just me. Hate me if you want, that's your choice. Talk to anyone that knows me though and i'm sure they'll tell you that I help more than I race. Is that a bad thing?
LOL Hes not my budy, and I disagree with him, read the thread. Just state your opinion and argue, just dont start $hit.

rccartips, if you dont let faster drivers pass, they're going to end up pushing you out of the way.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

quote from a famous pit crew chief of Cole Trickle "Hit The Pace Car Because You Hit Everything Out There I Want you To Be Perfect!"
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
please don't tell us any stories about marrying your sister or cousin

Just callin' 'em like I see 'em.

This was never about slammer slower cars, you really should have read the entire thread and caught hold of the tone of things and how they changed.

They changed simply with one poster....vvvvvvvv

And this was just plain dumb.............................................. .
LOL...... here we go again, another tony06
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Here's my take on it, take it for what you will, after reading all the posts and seeing very different views and opinions.

Every facility and their (sp) respective drivers have different ways of doing things based on the enviroment they are in or "exceptable" practices at that facility. For some new to a facility it can either be a pleasant surprise how nice and smooth things are, or a shock as to how the day went.

I have been to one facility to race where it was excepted by the race director and track owner/operator for drivers to throw out F bombs at will to the marshals who could not get to a 1/8 scale truggy fast enough because of the ballistic driving in a tough section of the track.

I have been to another were the Race Director/Owner makes it known that inappropriate behavior/actions will and are dealt with swiftly and justly, to the point of inviting drivers to not return.

Faster cars should be let by in the heats without question, we are racing the clock, not each other. That's the RD's job, to let the slower car know,IMHO, but they have to do it in a safe place on the track as not to cause a major wreck. Newer drivers have a hard time with this, they are new to the whole experience and make questionable decisions. Help them, talk to them calmly on the stand and compliment them when they do good things. Let them know which side you are going to pass them on so they don't turn into you. Offer them advice on how to hold a line, or when and where to duck out of the way.

Well chosen words of advice from the fast guys go a long way for us newbies and slow guys.

Mains should be heads up, but at the same time, somebody is always going to be faster, and somebody is always going to be a backmarker. I participated in a main that I had no business being in,27T v 13.5's, with some of the best in the area. Looked to my right and said to that particular driver, "well if you only go by me 8 times I am doing good", looked to the other and said ' I hope I can hold on for 6". We all laughed, but I recognized before the tone I was in over my head. Ran more laps than I ever had on that day, with that layout, and managed to safely stay out of the way.

Someone new is trying to concentrate on so many things at once, especially the kids running with us kids stuck in adult bodies.

IMHO, the enviroment we race in has a lot to do with how we race and conduct ourselves, whether on the stand, in the pits or on the track.

Have a great day guys, anyone here going to Vegas?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #65
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
IMHO, the enviroment we race in has a lot to do with how we race and conduct ourselves, whether on the stand, in the pits or on the track.
You made some good points ercwhtsd, and one great one ^^^

The deal is that the only reason I weighed in at all, was when someone suggested something in which they suggested (in premise) to ignore faster drivers and not be courteous.

I then went on to explain the ramifications of those actions, and just how horrific an attitude I thought it was to take, and got jumped on for saying what I did. And why? Because somehow folks read between the lines and suggested I was being discourteous or unfriendly to newbies - which wasn't the case at all. What I was suggesting was the simple fact that what goes around comes around.
Yet the simple fact remains that for whatever reason people think that paying an entry fee gives them God-given rights, or should, and that regardless of their behavior or attitudes they should be given royal treatment - and sorry, but that doesn't work in real life or the race track.

In no way did I suggest mistreating or blowing off the newbies, I've probably given out more free parts to new guys than most of you combined, but what I was trying to point out that what you dish out often comes back to haunt you - and thus by not moving over for someone barreling down your neck, or potentially crashing them or just holding them up, they're going to remember it the next time and not be so gentle when moving your out of their way.

Courtesy - whether it be in every day life, on DBs, or on the race track - is a two-way street. You've gotta give some if you plan on expecting some.
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #66
Tech Champion

Here is my little story...... It was 3 years ago at tamiya mini cooper race, and I had no ethic.

I was racing with opponent. My opponent was leading in front of me, while I was chasing him so badly for his 2nd position. At one time the opponent made mistake when entering tight corner......, he clipped the apex, and due to my car was very close to him...... I banged him on the door side. So both cars were involved in accident. Here is the stupid thing...... As the turn marshall put our cars back on track, my opponent was still waiting on me and suddenly he saw me took off ........ my friends who watched this laugh seeing me took off. Anyway...... now I know, I should let him took off first
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Quote:

In no way did I suggest mistreating or blowing off the newbies

Hope I did not imply that of your comments, not my intention and I apologize if it seemed that way

Courtesy - whether it be in every day life, on DBs, or on the race track - is a two-way street. You've gotta give some if you plan on expecting some.

+1
Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #68
Suspended

a good way to solve this problem is to put newbies and pros in different heats... that way nobody gets in anyones way...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #69
moy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hers some dont's:

do not run your car the opposite way.
do not stop for fuel/adjusting your radio outside the pitlane.
dont turn you radio on,until its your turn to race.
dont drive like theres no tomorrow.

do's:

always listen to the anouncer.
drive clean.
while exiting the pit,exit cautiously.
moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

As a small LHS owner I hear almost every 'newbie' exclaim, "I don't want to race till I get better, I don't want to hit anyone & p#$$ them off"

Here at our track [OVRCCC} we have 3 classes of 'stock touring, everyone races w/racers of the same or close ability, newbies learn by racin other newbies, the faster guys here go out of their way to help these newbies with setup, driving tips, and sometimes even coaching from the pits, this provides a positive atmosphere for these new guyz to continue to race, heck even some get better, [cept P-Nut & DC!LOL!] more than likely these newbies will continue to race, get better w/driving/setup ect and pass their knowledge to others,
Continue the sport, we stress here
HAVE FUN!!!

thatz my .02 worth
Speedy
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Treat your race friends the same was you would treat yourself. In other words, be nice to others as they will be nice to you. And of course, have fun; even though if it feels like work.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
Here's my take on it, take it for what you will, after reading all the posts and seeing very different views and opinions.

Every facility and their (sp) respective drivers have different ways of doing things based on the enviroment they are in or "exceptable" practices at that facility. For some new to a facility it can either be a pleasant surprise how nice and smooth things are, or a shock as to how the day went.

I have been to one facility to race where it was excepted by the race director and track owner/operator for drivers to throw out F bombs at will to the marshals who could not get to a 1/8 scale truggy fast enough because of the ballistic driving in a tough section of the track.

I have been to another were the Race Director/Owner makes it known that inappropriate behavior/actions will and are dealt with swiftly and justly, to the point of inviting drivers to not return.

Faster cars should be let by in the heats without question, we are racing the clock, not each other. That's the RD's job, to let the slower car know,IMHO, but they have to do it in a safe place on the track as not to cause a major wreck. Newer drivers have a hard time with this, they are new to the whole experience and make questionable decisions. Help them, talk to them calmly on the stand and compliment them when they do good things. Let them know which side you are going to pass them on so they don't turn into you. Offer them advice on how to hold a line, or when and where to duck out of the way.

Well chosen words of advice from the fast guys go a long way for us newbies and slow guys.

Mains should be heads up, but at the same time, somebody is always going to be faster, and somebody is always going to be a backmarker. I participated in a main that I had no business being in,27T v 13.5's, with some of the best in the area. Looked to my right and said to that particular driver, "well if you only go by me 8 times I am doing good", looked to the other and said ' I hope I can hold on for 6". We all laughed, but I recognized before the tone I was in over my head. Ran more laps than I ever had on that day, with that layout, and managed to safely stay out of the way.

Someone new is trying to concentrate on so many things at once, especially the kids running with us kids stuck in adult bodies.

Well said.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #73
Suspended

Quote:

+1

Quote:
You made some good points ercwhtsd, and one great one ^^^

The deal is that the only reason I weighed in at all, was when someone suggested something in which they suggested (in premise) to ignore faster drivers and not be courteous.

I then went on to explain the ramifications of those actions, and just how horrific an attitude I thought it was to take, and got jumped on for saying what I did. And why? Because somehow folks read between the lines and suggested I was being discourteous or unfriendly to newbies - which wasn't the case at all. What I was suggesting was the simple fact that what goes around comes around.
Yet the simple fact remains that for whatever reason people think that paying an entry fee gives them God-given rights, or should, and that regardless of their behavior or attitudes they should be given royal treatment - and sorry, but that doesn't work in real life or the race track.

In no way did I suggest mistreating or blowing off the newbies, I've probably given out more free parts to new guys than most of you combined, but what I was trying to point out that what you dish out often comes back to haunt you - and thus by not moving over for someone barreling down your neck, or potentially crashing them or just holding them up, they're going to remember it the next time and not be so gentle when moving your out of their way.

+1
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote