Community
Wiki Posts
Search

drivers ethics while racing....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

rccartips, I have to disagree. In all forms of motor racing cars being lapped HAVE to move over for the leaders.

Also, whenever your car is stoped, upsidedown, or otherwise not moving and its in the driving line, you have to scream out where the car is, this way other drivers will slow down in the area and wont hit you and break both cars.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Suspended

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rccartips
just my own thoughts, newbies ignore faster drivers. race fee is same for everyone, you deserve to run without worrying about anything else.

faster drivers, learn to overtake newbies, else might find races to be 3 - 4 people per heat as newbies will quit. racing is about racing, not about moving over for 30 minutes letting faster drivers pass.

maybe getting rid of the "lapping" rule/etiquette will encourage slower drivers to keep racing cauze after a while it gets boring worrying about letting faster drivers pass. its exciting for the newbies as they can experience real racing defending their position even if they are being lapped. for faster drivers, it can be practise to improve their overtaking skills and increase racing battles in the heat.
hhmmmm... so let me get this right - you propose experienced racers should practice overtaking techniques of lesser drivers of all skill levels, including the ones that lack proper car control, under the auspices that it will make the better drivers. yet you also propose that though they are often a hinderance and a hazard, that since newbies pay their money to race too they deserve to do whatever they want even if it results in the loss of a race by one of their more experienced competitors?

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE NEWBIE

I won't bother wasting the time trying to rationalize why your post is stupid, or what the word etiquette means (since you wouldn't get it anyway), or that following slow cars is even more boring than moving over for faster ones, or that the resulting "encouragement of slower drivers" will chase off the experienced ones that don't want to deal with getting wrecked or having their cars broken by lesser drivers that don't have the courtesy or decency to move over -- or that your rationale is why I finally took to putting bigazz bumpers on all my rigs to better aid me in pushing and slamming slugs out of the way (no sense in me driving nice if those I'm trying to get by don't care to).

But I will suggest it's NOT "defending your position" if you're being lapped. Oh, and they use a "move over" flag in ALL forms of racing.

Last edited by RocketRob40; 06-25-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
just my own thoughts, newbies ignore faster drivers. race fee is same for everyone, you deserve to run without worrying about anything else.

faster drivers, learn to overtake newbies, else might find races to be 3 - 4 people per heat as newbies will quit. racing is about racing, not about moving over for 30 minutes letting faster drivers pass.

maybe getting rid of the "lapping" rule/etiquette will encourage slower drivers to keep racing cauze after a while it gets boring worrying about letting faster drivers pass. its exciting for the newbies as they can experience real racing defending their position even if they are being lapped. for faster drivers, it can be practise to improve their overtaking skills and increase racing battles in the heat.

IMO it will be better to just have driving etiquette and last 30 min. than trying to drive over your head and posibly end your main in less than 5 min.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM
moy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have to agree what the other says,let the fast guys pass.theres no sense of keeping up with them especiallly if their 2-3 laps ahead of you.maintain your line.always keep it clean, remember you are running against your time in the qualifying.alway listen to the anouncer.the impotant thing is you didnt break your car and you finish the race!getting 1st,2nd,or 3rd will follow and you learn tru time and practice.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by moy
i have to agree what the other says,let the fast guys pass.theres no sense of keeping up with them especiallly if their 2-3 laps ahead of you.maintain your line.always keep it clean, remember you are running against your time in the qualifying.alway listen to the anouncer.the impotant thing is you didnt break your car and you finish the race!getting 1st,2nd,or 3rd will follow and you learn tru time and practice.
plus, you learn little driving over your head trying to stay in front of someone you lack the skill in staying in front of while you can learn a lot trying to follow someone that's faster than you learning faster lines and better techinques through tougher sections
Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM
moy
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RocketRob40
plus, you learn little driving over your head trying to stay in front of someone you lack the skill in staying in front of while you can learn a lot trying to follow someone that's faster than you learning faster lines and better techinques through tougher sections
thats true.you will notice your lap time have change.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moy
alway listen to the anouncer.
Originally Posted by johndayo101
always listen to the anouncer so you know where you are...
Yup Yup! Thanks Moy and Mr. Woods
Old 06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

hhmmmm... so let me get this right - you propose experienced racers should practice overtaking techniques of lesser drivers of all skill levels, including the ones that lack proper car control, under the auspices that it will make the better drivers. yet you also propose that though they are often a hinderance and a hazard, that since newbies pay their money to race too they deserve to do whatever they want even if it results in the loss of a race by one of their more experienced competitors?

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE NEWBIE

I won't bother wasting the time trying to rationalize why your post is stupid, or what the word etiquette means (since you wouldn't get it anyway), or that following slow cars is even more boring than moving over for faster ones, or that the resulting "encouragement of slower drivers" will chase off the experienced ones that don't want to deal with getting wrecked or having their cars broken by lesser drivers that don't have the courtesy or decency to move over -- or that your rationale is why I finally took to putting bigazz bumpers on all my rigs to better aid me in pushing and slamming slugs out of the way (no sense in me driving nice if those I'm trying to get by don't care to).

But I will suggest it's NOT "defending your position" if you're being lapped. Oh, and they use a "move over" flag in ALL forms of racing.
Wow, calm down man, That is NOT the spirit!

I dont agree with rccartips, but there is a partial point we can pull from his post, and Yours.

- Better drivers should be easy on the Newbs -

rccartips sortof brought this up, if a newb is running with an upper class (like there arent enough racers for rookie class), Give a little caution, and try to pass without incident. There are newbs who can barely keep thier car between the boards, trying to tell them to pull off and stop is a bit easier said then done for them.

Secondly, brought up by Rocketbobs post, Better drivers need to be NICE to Newbs. BASHING them down is just going to make them want to leave. As expensive and hard as the hobby is, if the racing environment is hostile to them, will they continue?

Maybe there's another rule for driving ethics:

- EVERYONE, try to get along nicely on AND off the track: Rookies make our hobby continue, not old grumpy farts.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bigshades
Wow, calm down man, That is NOT the spirit!

I dont agree with rccartips, but there is a partial point we can pull from his post, and Yours.

- Better drivers should be easy on the Newbs -
rccartips sortof brought this up, if a newb is running with an upper class (like there arent enough racers for rookie class), Give a little caution, and try to pass without incident. There are newbs who can barely keep thier car between the boards, trying to tell them to pull off and stop is a bit easier said then done for them.
Secondly, brought up by Rocketbobs post, Better drivers need to be NICE to Newbs. BASHING them down is just going to make them want to leave. As expensive and hard as the hobby is, if the racing environment is hostile to them, will they continue?
Maybe there's another rule for driving ethics:
- EVERYONE, try to get along nicely on AND off the track: Rookies make our hobby continue, not old grumpy farts.

ROFLMAO - you must have just read my post and not his, and/or you're a newb yourself or have never raced before.

But the thing that set me off initially with his post was the statement, "newbies ignore faster drivers. race fee is same for everyone" - which isn't right, courteous, or sportsmanlike. And if newbies want to earn any respect with the more experienced racers, and/or not be banned from their local track for being a on-track hazard, it seems as the statement is pretty dumb.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I'm glad that we get a good turn out at our track that there isn't much difference in speed in the mains. Even lap traffic is due to flame outs or early mishaps and not so much on being off pace....
Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Suspended

flameouts = being off pace
mishaps = being off pace

Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ROFLMAO - you must have just read my post and not his, and/or you're a newb yourself or have never raced before.

But the thing that set me off initially with his post was the statement, "newbies ignore faster drivers. race fee is same for everyone" - which isn't right, courteous, or sportsmanlike. And if newbies want to earn any respect with the more experienced racers, and/or not be banned from their local track for being a on-track hazard, it seems as the statement is pretty dumb.

What track do you race at where they ban people for being slower than everyone else? I'd like to know so I can let everyone I race with know. I think most people wouldn't want to support a track that has this kind of attitude. And your response to anyone that disagrees with you is to call them a newb? What is that? You act as if being new is a bad thing. You were a newb once too you know and you should help out the new guys instead of being prejustice against them. If your local track is actually banning people for this and the experienced guys expect the new guys to earn their respect, you better get used to traveling because pretty soon, your local track will be empty.

If you're looking for a fun place to race where they welcome new people instead of ridiculing them, check out www.vorra.org in Virginia or 301 raceway in MD.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Uga
Tech Regular

mhh, I can't even imagine a 30 minute race, where people wouldn't let each other pass by. You can keep having fun, but don't spoil the fun for the faster guys, just let them pass and keep on driving.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
moy
Tech Master

calm down people.this is to let new drivers and even old driver know what to do in a race.we are not haters here,everybody started as a beginner.this is not to discourage new racer,this is to improve them to be a better driver.coz this etiquette is usually forgotten in the start of the race.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

That's why it is very important to attend the drivers meeting especially for newcomers or out of state racers every track uses a different formatt of racing.
As for fast or slow everybody wants to race but if your slow & a fast guy comes up on you it's about being courteous than follow his line or watch a race & see how the fast guy approaches the turns just make sure your not watching while marshalling.
Show some love when the annoucer is calling out the top 3 & if your not in it then why ruin the chances of another driver having a good run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.