Wiki Posts
Search

driving tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default driving tips needed

i've been working hard on my racing skills - i am seeing improvements- i can drive withou spinning out or getting loose around the track but i want to get better.

my question to stud drivers-how do you guys cut those corners so tight? i cant understand how a pro can see with his eyes how tight to cut the corners. is it almost a feel thing? do you guys walk around the track and study each turns? do you guys use a visual marking when to start a turn--kind of like how a golfer uses trees behind the green as the target?

i love to practice-i know i need to practice the correct methods to get better. thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Lord

Driving skills is important but setting up the car is just as important. Try some brands of tires and take a deep dive into the "Hudy setup book" to get knowledge of how to change some settings to make your car better.

You can always ask the pro's on the track what kind of setup they use or maybe someone will help you to get more performance out of the car, engine and clutch.

And then.... driving !......a lot !
If you know the track you will drive with a some kind of rhythm, evere lap you will take the same but pushing up the tempo.

Try to follow the pro's just by observing them and try to follow them on the track, they can not hide the secret how they go into a corner and how they come out of it. Try to drive the same lines.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am by no means a pro driver but there are a few guys out at my local track that hit the same line over and over again as if the car was on rails. I see them carving corners like there is no tomorrow and they come so close to the walls that I cant help but cringe every time I see it. I have noticed that they fall into a special rhythm that I have achieved a few times, granted my speeds are no where close to theirs but I've felt it.

Car set up has alot to do with being able to carve corners. Your car needs to be dialed in just right in order to achieve this. Fresh tires, the right springs, the right oil in your shocks, sway bar settings, toe & camber are all key factors in dialing in your suspension.

As far as studying, not me. I just get out there, hope for the best and have alot of fun. Maybe not the best technique but it works for me. I try not to get too hung up on the how and why. I do make sure that car is set up properly and then I visualize a good line and try to follow it. Of course that many times does not work but I try.

Ive followed many of top drivers out at my track and tried driving their lines and that helps alot. Ive even asked them to slow down a bit so I can follow close and thats always fun but its also one of the best ways to learn.

It all boils down to putting in as much track time as possible and getting into a nice groove. Once you've found it you will know, so good luck and keep practicing.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

I am by no means what so ever a "stud" driver nor a pro.
I have improved by car set up and track timing, getting in to a rhythm.

Where you get on the gas, where you get off the gas, when you turn, when you brake.

Biggest help, DON"T OVER DRIVE THE CAR !!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

A wise man once said "where you are on the track is far more important then how fast you are going". Slow down a bit and try to drive tighter. As you get more comfortable you may find you can stand on the gas once again and still stay tight.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

something that has been working for me as i have been learning all this has been concentrating on one section of the track at a time...see where you are losing ground to people and where you gain ground then figure out better lines and ways of setting up to get into your slow sections
Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

First off, get the car set up correctly. When you set the car on the track, it should be exactly how you would run a race, i.e. tires trued, chassis tweak-free, etc..

Drive only as fast as the car will allow, don't overdrive it. Roll the throttle on and off, same with steering. If you have the ability to take some speed out of the servos, do it. You want to slow everything down a bit, as you can always add the speed to the servos as you progress.

If the car is not right, pull it off and try to make adjustments. You're only wearing out your equipment if you just keep cranking out lap after lap with an ill handling car.

Find one of the local "pros" and see if they could go up on the stand and watch you for a few laps. If your car looks really 'funky' on the track, they may want to drive it to rule out certain problems. You will learn the most in the shortest period of time with this method!!!

Last, you've already got it figured out about putting in the time to practice. Just make sure your track time is time well spent.

And yes, you WILL improve!!!

Good luck, and keep it FUN!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

See if you can't buy a personal transponder or use a house transponder and go to the track on an off race day (if you're furtunate enough to race on a perminate track) and ask them if they can't run the timingsetup for you to practice with.

Even if it is just small practice sessions on race day, USE THEM with the lap timing system and see how fast not only the pro guys are but how CONSISTANT they are lap to lap, then drive your car with the timing system on and moniter your times for not how fast the are, but how CONSISTANT they are, drive smooth and slow, even if it means staying in the middle of the lane for a bunch of laps. I can't stress this enough. When you can do an alotted race time with laps (even if they're not fast laps) with in a very resonable time constraint between each other (within a half a second on a smaller track, perhaps a touch more on a larger or more technicle track, ie, 13.5s one lap, 13.6s anothers etc), you are ready to start cutting corners a touch closer and braking a little later and accelerating a little sooner. When you can get consistant, that means you know the track, it means you know when to do things at what speed and what angle without even thinking about it, then after this, its just about fine tuning where everything needs to be at the right time.

Keep in mind that is is no "get fast faster" gimmick, it will require a LOT of practice. Also, i'll mention that there's no "cookbook" for going fast as well, you can't ask someone how they do it, it'll come to you with time and practice.

I am not a national champion, and i barely even concure the local clubs but i know that through determination and practice i can.

Allright, Stupid B-movie style "feel good" endings aside...

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Nuff said.

Last edited by a_main_attendee; 06-20-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: i sppelled tings wronged
Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee
See if you can't buy a personal transponder or use a house transponder and go to the track on an off race day (if you're furtunate enough to race on a perminate track) and ask them if they can't run the timingsetup for you to practice with.

Even if it is just small practice sessions on race day, USE THEM with the lap timing system and see how fast not only the pro guys are but how CONSISTANT they are lap to lap, then drive your car with the timing system on and moniter your times for not how fast the are, but how CONSISTANT they are, drive smooth and slow, even if it means staying in the middle of the lane for a bunch of laps. I can't stress this enough. When you can do an alotted race time with laps (even if they're not fast laps) with in a very resonable time constraint between each other (within a half a second on a smaller track, perhaps a touch more on a larger or more technicle track, ie, 13.5s one lap, 13.6s anothers etc), you are ready to start cutting corners a touch closer and braking a little later and accelerating a little sooner. When you can get consistant, that means you know the track, it means you know when to do things at what speed and what angle without even thinking about it, then after this, its just about fine tuning where everything needs to be at the right time.

Keep in mind that is is no "get fast faster" gimmick, it will require a LOT of practice. Also, i'll mention that there's no "cookbook" for going fast as well, you can't ask someone how they do it, it'll come to you with time and practice.

I am not a national champion, and i barely even concure the local clubs but i know that through determination and practice i can.

Allright, Stupid B-movie style "feel good" endings aside...

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Nuff said.
Careful.!

Only "Perfect practice makes perfect!!
If you practice doing something wrong or not so well, then you just get better at doing something badly!?

First learn how to do something. Break it down into smaller parts if you have to, and don't take any notice of the speed your doing it.
Then, as you've learnt how to do something right, then try to get faster at doing it.
Practice, practice, practice.....yes! But make sure your not practicing something your doing wrong!.....lol

Regards,
British Menace
Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Practice my friend. As time elapses, you'll see your own improvements. The more you play, the better your hand-eye coordination will get. Also find out the most information you can about set-ups for your car/truck. This is where trial and error comes in and you must gain knowledge of how/why adjustments work on your car/truck. Learn the basic mechanics of your kit. Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

<---not a stud driver!!
I race both on and off road. Like the guys say, Practice, Practice, Practice. I have two sets of cars. My principal race cars (track use only) and my play cars. But even with two sets of cars/truggys it goes back to Practice. Learn set up then if I didn't say it, PRACTICE. During the off season (winter) I do the VRC and run my 1/5 gas buggy.
Another way of getting better is watching racing videos. Study how the best hook corners and even watch the drivers behavior when they drive. You will improve!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by poochy
i've been working hard on my racing skills - i am seeing improvements- i can drive withou spinning out or getting loose around the track but i want to get better.

my question to stud drivers-how do you guys cut those corners so tight? i cant understand how a pro can see with his eyes how tight to cut the corners. is it almost a feel thing? do you guys walk around the track and study each turns? do you guys use a visual marking when to start a turn--kind of like how a golfer uses trees behind the green as the target?

i love to practice-i know i need to practice the correct methods to get better. thanks.
you have to go and visualize the track get those lines stuck in your head so when you get to the turn you know what to do also practice practice AND more practice it also has a lot to do with the setup on your car you should be able to put the car anywhere you want at any time hope this helps
Old 06-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
Careful.!

Only "Perfect practice makes perfect!!
If you practice doing something wrong or not so well, then you just get better at doing something badly!?

First learn how to do something. Break it down into smaller parts if you have to, and don't take any notice of the speed your doing it.
Then, as you've learnt how to do something right, then try to get faster at doing it.
Practice, practice, practice.....yes! But make sure your not practicing something your doing wrong!.....lol

Regards,
British Menace
I'm just saying that once you can get consistant lap times in, (regardless of lap time quickness) You know the track enough to allow for your car to be pushed a little more to create the better lap times.

its all in baby steps toward one goal, being faster.

I'm surprised that more people don't mention CONSISTENCY, 'cause that's what wins races, not indivusual fast laps.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default mentor

hi,

try to find a nice fast driver in your track and have him become your mentor. fast drivers usually like to mentor and see newbies drive better.

let him setup your car, show you the driving lines, when to let off throttle, steering etc...

hands on mentoring

thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like to watch the fast drivers whenever Im turnmashaling. I pick a spot on the track where Im having problems and I listen to where they're letting off and on the gas.