R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BLKNOTCH
Default Centex or NO Centex???????

Ok I am hoping that you all here at R/C Tech can help with the answer to this question? I have been talking with a friend of mine that is currently running his car (NTC3) with the original 2 shoe clutch and for the most part is very happy with the results. He is running an older Novarossi RS12 S3 which is about 5 years old now and I think would put in the 1.2HP era. Now I am soon to also be running the NTC3 but in Factory Kit form and I will be running the Centex Clutch, can someone please explain to me (us) as to why it is better to run a centex or not.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Sean
BLKNOTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

A centax is more adjustable and easy to tune in to track conditions. The standard clutch will work great too, just put the stiffer springs in it. I think they are the copper colored ones.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Tech Master

Oh ok great, I am geussing that being that we race mostly at the same track for the summer that really there is no reason for my friends to change from the standard clutch? I have been looking for info that states any other improvements other then being easy to tune. I have drivin my friends car and it has been working great so can see why he feels there is no need to change, I was hoping there was a solid reason as to why he should performance wise.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH View Post
Ok I am hoping that you all here at R/C Tech can help with the answer to this question? I have been talking with a friend of mine that is currently running his car (NTC3) with the original 2 shoe clutch and for the most part is very happy with the results. He is running an older Novarossi RS12 S3 which is about 5 years old now and I think would put in the 1.2HP era. Now I am soon to also be running the NTC3 but in Factory Kit form and I will be running the Centex Clutch, can someone please explain to me (us) as to why it is better to run a centex or not.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Sean

You forgot one important feature(the most important). A centax clutch has 100% engagement between the clutch and clutchbell (awsome excelleration) a two shoe clutch has only about 10% engagement between the clutch and clutchbell. If you guys run on a parking lot surface where traction is low then I can see staying with the original clutch. But if you run on a prep track that has decent traction a centax clutch is a must. The only other issue is that the diff gears in the NTC3 may not be able to handle the launching power of a centax clutch.

At a minimum I would install a three shoe clutch with the optional stiff springs.

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 06-20-2008 at 10:52 AM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You are correct but in this case I think I would invest in a whole new car before I spent a bunch of money to put a centax on a TC3. It's not a bad car but there are far better things to spend money on then the clutch in this case.

The three shoe set-up is nice though. If he already has some extra shoes and springs around then all he needs is a flywheel.

Either way, put the hard springs in it.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

You 100% correct. I would not invest that type of money into a NTC3 for a clutch system. That was the one item I never purchased when I ran the NTC3. At about $100.00 US. It's just plain not worth it.

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 06-20-2008 at 10:53 AM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:28 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

In my own opinion, keep running what you have. If you want to upgrade, invest in a new car. NTC3 is a very outdated car, no one in my track runs it anymore because it will not handle any new engine power wise. There is no reason as to why keep putting more money. And as someone already stated, your differentials may not handle it as I have seen so many give out.

Competitive wise, centax clutch is a very big advantage over standard shoe clutch. Centax clutch lets you set it just right to get the best push out of the corner. A friend of mine gave up on his Schumacher R12 because it was nearly impossible to fit in a centax clutch, and he had to spend time modifying the standard clutch shoe making it lighter to get more acceleration. And this was done by trial and error which took alot of time.

I would suggest into looking at a Team Magic car which are very cheap and very competitive. If you want to go the extra mile, then RRR is the choice.

And, you say you are soon to be running a FT Tc3? If you havent already bought it, give into consideration other possibilities, you wont be dissappointed.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
In my own opinion, keep running what you have. If you want to upgrade, invest in a new car. NTC3 is a very outdated car, no one in my track runs it anymore because it will not handle any new engine power wise. There is no reason as to why keep putting more money. And as someone already stated, your differentials may not handle it as I have seen so many give out.

Competitive wise, centax clutch is a very big advantage over standard shoe clutch. Centax clutch lets you set it just right to get the best push out of the corner. A friend of mine gave up on his Schumacher R12 because it was nearly impossible to fit in a centax clutch, and he had to spend time modifying the standard clutch shoe making it lighter to get more acceleration. And this was done by trial and error which took alot of time.

I would suggest into looking at a Team Magic car which are very cheap and very competitive. If you want to go the extra mile, then RRR is the choice.

And, you say you are soon to be running a FT Tc3? If you havent already bought it, give into consideration other possibilities, you wont be dissappointed.
i agree i would invest in a new car the tc3 is a good beginer car but if you strap any kind of motor with hp in it you will blow diffs and trans parts like crazy plus it dont handle that well
KyoshokiddT.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Tech Elite

A very good friend of mine installed a centex clutch in his TC3 many years ago. The car ran very well. He was running a NS12S3 in his TC3 without a problem. When he sold it to another friend, he installed a TZ12 5 port and again the TC3 did pretty good. Now both friends have graduated to Mugens and Xrays and have not looked back at their old TC3.
Just like eveyone else in this thread, I wouldn't put the money into a centex. It's time to upgrade. I like Serpents. 720 08 works great!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Tech Master

Ok I am happy to read all the imput about the centex and the pro's and con's that the clutch will give. I have run a few different cars over the years with the first being my Serpent Impulse, then the Mugen MTX-3 which I have just gottin rid of do to pour parts availability when in the crunch to my soon to be FT NTC3. I have seen many people talking about the problems with the diffs and drivetrain is this car but I have been running my friends Team NTC3 on our local track with great results both in it's speed and handling. The car is very easy to work on and has a very free drivetrain. Parts are cheaper then any other touring car on the market and ALL shops in my area and online carry the parts. I cant believe after all these years this car has been on the market and in the racing seen (7 years) there hasent been a solution to the diff problem. My intention for this season is to run this car against the MTX4R's and NT1's that are running at my local track and see how competitive I can be and how aften I am on my bench. I am not buying a centex for this car as I already have 2 complete units that I will be using, I was hoping to learn a good argument as to why my friend should make the change ( which you all have givin me ) I have been looking at different up grades on the market for my NTC3 like K Factory but I will be waiting to see how the car performs first. I have 2 different engines that I will be checking out in the car for this season ( NS12 TS1 and the O.S. .12TZ 5 port )

Our local track is www.rcpikeriver.com and the top racers are completing a lap in mid to low 16.xxx and my friend in his NTC3 has been running mid 18.xxx and has taken home 3 third place finishes in the B main. I am usually 2 sec a laps faster so we will see how the car handles when I give it a shot.

Thanks guy's for all the great info
Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Most of my teammates used to run the NTC3. They got tired of breaking parts by just touching anything. The NTC3 cant take a beating. The reason why after 7 years the diffs are still the same is because Team Associated doesn't care anymore about the car. So dont expect anything new for it. There is also a problem with shaft-driven car, it will never be as fast a belt-driven car. My teammates after driving the NTC3 switch to the Kyosho FW05RR because they still liked the shafts and after trying out a RRR, they never looked back to neither car. Im just trying to help you from getting a car, and realizing in a months time that you have reached the car's full potential and in need of another car. Or that youll get frustrated and stop racing. I have seen to many homemade mods that the NTC3 needs in order to fully work. Try to look at other options when it comes to parts availability, and check your race track to see what the top guys are racing so you know what kind of support youll get.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Tech Master

Thank you Riketsu as you have givin me the answers I was looking to here, I will still be running the FT NTC3 for the remainder of the season as I got a great deal on Ebay for everything I need to race. My track is mostly a Mugen track with the top guys running MTX4's and 1 person running the NT1. I will wait to see how close to the truth all that you have said is as I was planning to upgrade over the winter to a NEW MTX4R or X but as mentioned at the start I will let this season dicide weather it is wurth it for me to spend over $500 on a new kit or have fun racing at my track with this car. I do understand all that you are stating and I beleave all that you are saying, but if I am able to be competitive with this car at my track then there is no real reason to change.

Sean
Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default touring

I don't see why you quit on the mtx3 as it's still a competitive car and parts are still very easy to find on e-bay and elsewhere. I still run one and have tqed with it the last 2 races. The ntc3 does handle very well but as people have said you better not hit anything or jump a curb on power or you'll be watching the rest of the race.
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Tech Master

I do understand parts are still able to be had on Ebay and elsewhere but I am not happy with having to wait over a week to get the parts I need to fix a small problem with my car. That being said I just ran my first practice with my FT NTC3 and blew my laps times out of the water with this car and no issues with the car at all. I had a few small bumps with the pillow balls but I will be changing to the steel ones as they wont sheer off like these did. I went thew 5 fuel bottles today with this car and had a blast doing it so I stand by my dicision to change cars as bein g the best move for me.