R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   OS .12 tr came stuck in TDC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/22693-os-12-tr-came-stuck-tdc.html)

AE Racer 08-11-2003 03:16 PM

OS .12 tr came stuck in TDC

I orderd the short shaft version of the .12 tr on tower for my gt and finally got it and opened it up to find the the pisten was stuck in TDC. I could easily heat it up and bring the pisten down to BDC but I think damage could have already been done. With the pisten sitting at BDC for an extended period of time wouldnt the top of the sleave permadently expand, causing it to have less compression and a shorter life? Do you think this engine is damaged in any way? I debating wether or not to send it back to tower.

Im really PO'd at tower after this order they send me an engine that is stuck in TDC and a $90 reciever that has oil on the antenna and has obviously been used.

speedydave 08-11-2003 03:49 PM

I don't think the engine is Tower's problem, since I highly doubt they open each engine before sending it to the buyer. ;) I'd at least give them a call, at least to ask them about the receiver.

fastharry™ 08-11-2003 04:52 PM

Re: OS .12 tr came stuck in TDC

Originally posted by AE Racer
I orderd the short shaft version of the .12 tr on tower for my gt and finally got it and opened it up to find the the pisten was stuck in TDC. I could easily heat it up and bring the pisten down to BDC but I think damage could have already been done. With the pisten sitting at BDC for an extended period of time wouldnt the top of the sleave permadently expand, causing it to have less compression and a shorter life? Do you think this engine is damaged in any way? I debating wether or not to send it back to tower.

Im really PO'd at tower after this order they send me an engine that is stuck in TDC and a $90 reciever that has oil on the antenna and has obviously been used.

hi AE...I would call them and explain.......I'd also return both..tell them you want return postage credit..make sure you send it certified,return reciept...

Que 08-11-2003 05:55 PM

The OS engines come in a locked in a position near the top!

AE Racer 08-11-2003 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Que
The OS engines come in a locked in a position near the top!
Are you sure? Can anyone else confirm this? My cv-rx wasnt locked but I guess that could be because it was pullstart and I turned it over with the p/s. (I say "was" because I converted it to non p/s to use in my gt)

AE Racer 08-11-2003 09:40 PM

Re: Re: OS .12 tr came stuck in TDC

Originally posted by fastharry
hi AE...I would call them and explain.......I'd also return both..tell them you want return postage credit..make sure you send it certified,return reciept...
Ill definitly send the reciever back, but Im not sure if theres anything wrong with the engine, what do you think?

Thanks for the help guys

Aggdaddy 08-11-2003 09:45 PM

Hey mine came like that. The piston was at the top when I opened up the box. But the compression and tightness of the piston and sleeve is still very tight. I can feel the edges of the piston as I turn the flywheel. When I was breaking it in, I had the hardest time using my starter box to turn the flywheel.

B 08-11-2003 10:46 PM

uhh

of coz the engine is like that
competitive engines come like that, it is perfectly normal

so far, all novarossi (& novarossi based) engines have been that way

don't worry, it is fine

doff 08-11-2003 11:10 PM

yeah, novarossi cx12 was tight as on TDC. I was scared to touch it on the starter box, but :) all was good, as per my post a few slots down indicates :)

gl with it :)

Que 08-11-2003 11:57 PM

Your engine is fine just go ahead and break it in like normal and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

CRASH 08-12-2003 10:03 AM

My OS TR12 came like that also. Hard as heck to get it to turn over. Broke it in and it is good to go, reliable and fast.

Later:)

AE Racer 08-12-2003 10:18 AM

You guys mean it came stuck in TDC out of the box not that it was hard to turn over or you got it stuck in TDC, right?

My sirio didnt come in TDC so I had no idea that engines were supposed to come in TDC, I guess diffrent manufactures do things diffrently. Why would it come stuck in TDC though? Is it so you can get the flywheel and clutch nut or pilot shaft on?

AE Racer 08-12-2003 10:20 AM

whoops double post

B 08-12-2003 11:12 AM

You guys mean it came stuck in TDC out of the box not that it was hard to turn over or you got it stuck in TDC, right?
that is correct
just go ahead and start the engine on a powerful starter box

kt racing 08-14-2003 04:43 AM

My sirio came stuck at tdc and also my rossi S-3. So just run the motor. Your not going to hurt it. That just means that the motor was built right and you will have hella compression.