R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   ntc3 sway bar-installation (confused) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/226395-ntc3-sway-bar-installation-confused.html)

poochy 06-11-2008 01:10 PM

ntc3 sway bar-installation (confused)

the instruction for the sway bar tells me to drop the car 2inches then attach the sway bar to the ball and cup. why do i need to that? cant i just attach the swaybar to the ball/cup without dropping the car? somebody please help me with this?

shadow102 06-11-2008 01:14 PM

2inches?? the car would have to be 4x4ing. Are you sure it doesnt mean 2mm? And the reason it says that is because the swaybar adds spring rate to that end of the car which will raise it up a little. I would suggest mounting the bar to the car then just go back and set the ride height

Ffejdat 06-11-2008 01:46 PM

What they mean is, lift that end of the car up, 2 inches off the ground,drop that end of the car and let the car settle, then snap the end links for the sway bar on, you want the second link you put on for the sway bar to go on the ball nice, and put no bind or tweak in the suspension. basically, if you have one of the sway bar end links too long or too short, it will put a tweak in the car. You can also see this effect on a tweak board, check the tweak without the sway hooked up, then with, should not change at all, if it does you need to lengthen or shorten a link till it does not change.

poochy 06-12-2008 05:08 AM

i thank you guys for the advice-but i am back to my confusion.

see the instruction says to screw teh sway bar on so it can move up and down freely-so i did--but before i drop the car 2 inches-what height do i set the sway (that is screwed on) bar before i drop the car? im seriously thinking the instructions really dont make sense. thanks in advance.

shadow102 06-12-2008 05:15 AM

is this the regular sway bar or the blade type sway bar?

poochy 06-12-2008 06:03 AM

the regular one-the one that can go on both rear and front.

shadow102 06-12-2008 06:17 AM

to install it screw the ball cup and rod end together with that small screw, leave about a 1mm gap between the two. Then take the sway bar and install the ball ends onto each end of the bar so that the bar sits flush with the end of the ball end. Snap the ball end into the rod end and mount on the car. Route the sway bar over the CV axle and clip the ball cup onto the ball end on the arm and attach the sway bar to the chassis at the mounting point. Thats all there is to it then just go through and check the setup of the car.

poochy 06-12-2008 08:38 AM

right-what you said is what i did-but i didnt do the 1mm gap-the instruction said that it should be at a certain length.

the confusion on the 2 inch drop and what angle to set the sway prior to the 2inch drop still does not make any sense.

if they want me to drop it 2inches-i first must set the angle of the sway bar which is alreay screwed in (2 screws) on the back--so what is this angle?

shadow102 06-12-2008 10:33 AM

i honestly dont remember that part of the directions and i really wouldnt worry about it at all.

Ffejdat 06-12-2008 01:33 PM

Basically, you want the sway bar to pivot freely up and down on it's mount, when it is unhooked from the arms, but have no slop in it's mounting areas. You adjust the slop with the two screws that hold it in the car, basically tighten them till just snug, then back them out 1/8 th or so turn, so the sway bar rotates freely. After it is like that, then set your car on a flat surface-workbench, and hook up one sway bar end link to one arm, then see if the other link will line up and snap onto it's ball without binding, if it looks too long, like it is going past the ball, then shorten the link, if it looks to be coming up shorter than the ball, then lengthen the link. Good Luck!

poochy 06-12-2008 04:14 PM

thanks everybody, im just anal with the car setup