R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-05-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Suggested needle settings for MT-12?

I have a MT-12 engine that is giving me problems.

Here's the problem- it runs fine when the glow starter is on, but dies when I take it off. This only started in the past week or so.

Of course, I figured it was the plug. So I changed plugs. Same problem. I also checked the old plug in another engine, and it ran fine.

I have tried MC39, A8, and A3 plugs, and have the same problem. My glow starters are freshly charged (I tried 2 different ones). The engine will run all day with the glow starter on, so I let it warm up for a minute or two, and revved it up. The temp got up to the normal range. When I took the starter off, it died again. I also changed the fuel line, and the fuel filter.

Here are the specs- MT-12 engine, 20% Byrons Race fuel, outside temp about 45-50 F, currently using A8 plug. I don't know the needle settings because I messed around with them so much that I lost track. The engine has about 15 total tanks through it, including break in. I had someone check the compression, and it was still good. I have pretty much narrowed it down to needle settings. Anyone have any good base settings for this engine?
Old 01-05-2002, 12:51 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: Suggested needle settings for MT-12?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
I have a MT-12 engine that is giving me problems.

Here's the problem- it runs fine when the glow starter is on, but dies when I take it off. This only started in the past week or so.

Of course, I figured it was the plug. So I changed plugs. Same problem. I also checked the old plug in another engine, and it ran fine.

I have tried MC39, A8, and A3 plugs, and have the same problem. My glow starters are freshly charged (I tried 2 different ones). The engine will run all day with the glow starter on, so I let it warm up for a minute or two, and revved it up. The temp got up to the normal range. When I took the starter off, it died again. I also changed the fuel line, and the fuel filter.

Here are the specs- MT-12 engine, 20% Byrons Race fuel, outside temp about 45-50 F, currently using A8 plug. I don't know the needle settings because I messed around with them so much that I lost track. The engine has about 15 total tanks through it, including break in. I had someone check the compression, and it was still good. I have pretty much narrowed it down to needle settings. Anyone have any good base settings for this engine?

I lost track on my engine too! but at one point someone told me main needle 5 1/2 out from close and bottom end 4 1/2 in from flush!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite

I think 4-1/2 in from flush is too lean. The lowend needle is a little more than 5 turns from flush to bottomed so that would mean the lowend is 1/2 turn.

I was running at about 1-3/4 out from bottomed but my temp. wasn't 45 -50 degrees F. Humidity also messes with your setting. The highend won't really affect whether you car stays lit or not at idle but 5-1/2 turns out from bottom is a good place to start
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 08:28 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

My low end needle bottoms out at just over 3 turns from flush....
Old 01-06-2002, 12:57 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Hmmm I got 2 of these guy and they both take about 5 turns to go from flush with the ball ring to bottomed out.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 10:50 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Well, how many turns out from fully closed are you guys running the low end. I'll try setting it that way.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:04 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bottom it out and back it out 3 1/4 set the top at 4 7/8. Once its lit Idle it up with the Idle screw til it idles. Start there. get the 8 out of there and go to a number 4 novarossi or an MC59. 8's and 9's are to cold at that temp on 20%
Old 01-07-2002, 07:29 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I'll try that. I can't get Novarossi plugs here, so I'll have to go with a MC59.