Tech Adept

Questions?? Nitro Fuel shortage?

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow. Good info. I need to start conserving

Last edited by Roger; 06-03-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Tech Addict

There doesn't seem to be any information from the hobby fuel's manufacturer's websites about this issue. Can anyone find a statement from the hobby fuel producers such as odonnell, morgan, byron, or any others?

Quote:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

Q. Is there currently a nitromethane shortage?

A. Yes. As you know, Angus Chemical withdrew their nitromethane product from the racing market over a year ago, so they’re off the table. As for manufacturers in China, they’re experiencing production problems for several reasons. There is a severe shortage of feedstocks required to make the nitromethane, with no relief expected until later in the fall. The Chinese government is also placing restrictions on nitro manufacturers and others such that no production can occur near and during the timeframe of the Summer Olympics. In addition, the government is placing restrictions on shipments into and out of their ports during two significant time periods this summer. Some production has been impacted by the recent earthquake.

Q. Will nitromethane be available this season for all segments of racing that require it?

A. No – not from VP. We are confident that VP will be able to supply sufficient quantities of nitromethane to NHRA Championship Drag Racing national events for the duration of this season. We feel a responsibility to provide this supply for NHRA and we take it very seriously. We recognize many jobs—from race teams to parts manufacturers to food vendors and parking lot attendants—are dependent on these events and we will do whatever is necessary to make sure these events occur. The fact is VP actually sells more nitromethane for industrial and hobby fuels annually than it does for racing. This year, we have dropped about 95% of our industrial and hobby business to ensure NHRA’s supply is uninterrupted. This will have a significantly negative financial impact on VP.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Very strange that the page only is shown in Google cache and does not exist anymore....
Old 05-31-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
Tech Master

oops! never mind.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not all nitro Fuel manufacters get their ingredients from VP Racing. I did see they are still doing 5% which is prolly the Nitro Fuel they make for Team Losi AKA Nitrotane.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its still on vp web site! Click on the more news link!
J-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
rjr
Tech Adept

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...6534&Itemid=24
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If your running Byron's or Morgan products your safe. If whatever brand of witches brew suddenly becomes yellow in tint thats ok. Its just a "Red Metal" indicator die. This appears to be an issue over the "control" of nitro in it's pure form at real car race tracks.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I believe Drew is right. It sounds like NHRA somehow lost the ability to get nitro from the US suppliers and one guy is controlling the imported nitro. Byrons and I believe Morgan as well deal with the US suppliers and should have no problem getting it. Stick with american nitro, it's the best.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Tech Elite

This hobby is gonna die (unfortunately). This is what I found on one of RC helies forums:

Effective Tuesday, July 15, 2008, it will be illegal to buy or sell nitro fuel in North America.

All Nitro fuel purchased before July 15, 2008 must be used or disposed of by September 28, 2008.

All dealers must dispose of unsold nitro fuel July 31, 2008, or return it to the manufacture for proper disposal.

Not sure if this is tru, but sound scary!!! I don't have any legimate prove or unprove for above, but sound is not good.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN View Post
This hobby is gonna die (unfortunately). This is what I found on one of RC helies forums:

Effective Tuesday, July 15, 2008, it will be illegal to buy or sell nitro fuel in North America.

All Nitro fuel purchased before July 15, 2008 must be used or disposed of by September 28, 2008.

All dealers must dispose of unsold nitro fuel July 31, 2008, or return it to the manufacture for proper disposal.

Not sure if this is tru, but sound scary!!! I don't have any legimate prove or unprove for above, but sound is not good.
..............a link??????
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
..............a link??????
http://runryder.com/helicopter/t435766p1/

This is the best I can provide, no any other info found.
I do belive there is "no smoke without fire"
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Edward:

Believe it when you see the fire.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Edward:

Believe it when you see the fire.
Scott,
I have big hope on it, otherwise it is hopeless.