R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-04-2003, 01:21 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default novarossi s5 - hard to tune/HELP

can someone tell me a website that will guide me in engine tuning. novarossi s5 is so hard to tune. you have to tune it every run, needles are so sensitive. my problem is it doesn't give a clean punch on straightways. when you pull the throttle in full it sounded that the engine is choking. need your advise guys.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the novarossi website has a place where it tells you the basics of engine tuning

follow that and see what happens

but first, go back to factory setting (check with website, they should have it) and start from there
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: novarossi s5 - hard to tune/HELP

Quote:
Originally posted by thefuzzclub
can someone tell me a website that will guide me in engine tuning. novarossi s5 is so hard to tune. you have to tune it every run, needles are so sensitive. my problem is it doesn't give a clean punch on straightways. when you pull the throttle in full it sounded that the engine is choking. need your advise guys.
I tune my engine every run. Each day is different per temperature, humidity, etc. I don't think there is no perfect tunning guideline on each engine. You may just have to find where the intersection of bottom, mid, and top are met.

best of luck,

etf
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:51 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

what is novarossis website?
pro3user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
B
Tech Master

i agree with fish

the humidty and temp will change the engine charastics, so you have to fine tune the engine to your liking, which is not too hard once you know what you are doing..

www.novarossi.com

good luck
Old 08-04-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Default Novarossi Website

It is www.novarossi.com, but it has been down (unavailable) for over two weeks now.
jcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Thanks for all your replies. I think i just have to start all over again. Can anyone tell me the base needle settings of novarossi s5 race engine. I know italian engines has different initial setting for tuning as compared to os engines. I have os tr in my v1r and its easy to tune. Your inputs please.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:57 PM   #8
B
Tech Master

I dont know EXACTLY for that particular engine, but i have an RB engine, and i think since it is a novarossi based engine, the initial setting shouldnt vary that much..... (my hypothesis)

www.rbproducts.com <-- u can check there, there is the initial setup for x12 engine

okay!

high speed needle, screw all the way in, the come out 5 turns

Low speed needle , Pull the carb out, the screw all the way in, come out 2.5 turns

the mid speed needle, hopefully, you have not touched this if you are an amature, but if you did, then adjust the screw to be on the same level as the case..

Try this, it should be quite a RICH setting
then tune the high speed needle first, then adjust the low end, on my RB engine, the high end i screw in about 1 turn in (from factory setting), and the low end needle i only made minor adjustments to it, and my engine is just about right

hope someone can provide you with novarossi factory setting, but if not, then try mine, it should work fine as well

good luck and have fun
Old 08-04-2003, 09:22 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Wink

B,
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try it this wweekend.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:41 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by thefuzzclub
Thanks for all your replies. I think i just have to start all over again. Can anyone tell me the base needle settings of novarossi s5 race engine. I know italian engines has different initial setting for tuning as compared to os engines. I have os tr in my v1r and its easy to tune. Your inputs please.
I have one in my car now, the base settings for S5 is 4 turns out for HSN, 2 1/2 turns out for LSN and flush with carb for MSN. The HSN should not be leaned for more than 1/2 turn and LSN should be around 2 for a new S5. Takes easily about 10-15 tanks to be fully run-in.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Novarossi Website

Quote:
Originally posted by jcrouse
It is www.novarossi.com, but it has been down (unavailable) for over two weeks now.
Try www.novarossi.it

Then go the english section.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 PM   #12
B
Tech Master

Quote:
4 turns out for HSN, 2 1/2 turns out for LSN and flush with carb for MSN. The HSN should not be leaned for more than 1/2 turn
yap!,. tats why from the RB factory setting, which is 5 turns out, i screw one turn in, resulting in 4 turns out, and i lean it just a little bit

everything falls into the right place!

it sounds right
Old 08-06-2003, 11:47 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Re: Novarossi Website

Quote:
Originally posted by jcrouse
Try www.novarossi.it
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:50 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Ooops, I didn't see InitialD's post, sorry
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:02 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Default Spawn's breakin procedure may be innacurate

Spawn....I'm just curious where you come up with this breakin recommendation od 10-15 tanks? Everyone here seems to say that to be safe we should follow the manufacturers recommendations. Well, Novarossi, on their website, recommends rich carburation and low rpm's for 15 to 20 minutes. Also, their manual for that particular model (I have one) recommends about 15 minutes at 25% throttle and about 30 minutes at 50% throttle. I say about because I don't have the manual right in front of me. I am not trying to point out your error here, just trying to provide accurate information to a fellow user.
jcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote