hpi rs4 3 evo

Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hpi rs4 3 evo

Hi first I would like to give u a lil backround. I got into nitro cars when I was about 13. My first car was a single speed kyosho witch I destroyed within about 3 months lol (it was a real cheap car anyways). Then when I was 14 I got a Rs4 (the original one)broke it in then added a two speed tranny and a trinity pipe and manifold. I had that car for about 4 years before I blew the motor and bent the chassis (that chassis was garbage campared to the new rs4s).

Now I just currently purchases the rs4 3 evo(the on that comes with the 66 mustang body) and I must say I am disapointed. First off the thing handles like shit and it is not fast at all. The guy at the hobbie shop told me that car does 50mph my ass. I have this thing tuned perfectly and have it screaming up and down my avenue and it only looks like its going a lil over 40.

Now durability wise it is good. I smacked it up a few times due to the lack of handling and nothing has broken so far. The motor is also real easy to tune and starts up with no problems. I also like the roto starter. But all it realy seems like its good for is drag racing all it wants to do is drift and slide out..

Do u think if I throw on a good pipe and manifold it would make a noticeable difference performance wise. Also in the handling department could one of u guys maybe give me a link to a website where I could order a good pair that will give me some traction, it would be nice if u could recommend me a pair as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

shoot alot of typos in there, i just re read my post and when I say recommend me a good pair I meant to say recommend me a good pair of tires. Sorry about that I typed that up in a rush.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

I also got the Evo, but with the Cuda body. I was fairly disappointed with the handling out of the box too. I switched the vintage tires out for a set of 26mm HPI X pattern tires, and it hooks up a lot better with them.
I didn't think mine went very fast, but the KSU police clocked it at 56 MPH with their radar gun. The Vintage bodies look cool, but aren't very aerodynamic, so I switched to a Nissan Skyline. I also changed out the rear gear diff for a HPI ball diff. I haven't been able to run it since the new diff and body.
I would also recommend changing the shock oil out in favor of some 50 Wt fluid, as I think stock is 30 or 40 wt. You could also get the swaybar kit to help dial in traction where you need it.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI

If you want race car like handling and grip, swap the rubber tires for foams (ellegi tires are the stickiest i know of) and refill the shocks with some slightly softer shock oil to increase the suspension movement. Don't go too soft on the shocks because if you turn hard your car might roll unless you have an anti-roll bar. You could also try buying some softer springs as the stock ones may be too hard.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI

Has anyone ever used this car for racing?

Because I am considering buying one and tuning the suspension for grip so that it can be raced (the videos i have seen of the car show the back end stepping out every time you turn).

Also, how is the low end punch on the engine? Because for racing, you need punch not top speed so much.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lemansracer
Has anyone ever used this car for racing?

Because I am considering buying one and tuning the suspension for grip so that it can be raced (the videos i have seen of the car show the back end stepping out every time you turn).

Also, how is the low end punch on the engine? Because for racing, you need punch not top speed so much.
YOu can hop up the car spending unlimited $$$ and still end up with a so so handling car. If you are just gonna bash around, adjustabe upper link and steering links, and upgraded shocks should be good enough. Get the x-pattern tires from HPI with stock foam inserts. The sway bars and not stiff enough to notice a difference. If you plan to race it, good luck. I've never seen it compete with a RRR, MTX4, 720 or G4s because it can't.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yeah I bought one used with a os 18 cvr to see if I like onroad vs my mt and the car handles like crap.Very sloppy steering componenets and because of that the axles keep popping out.I keep buying upgrades for it so it will handle better be more durable get rid off all the slop but it ends up almost costing as much as a nice 1/10 kit.I will keep it but just for goofing off and practicing for my new mrx4x that I am currently building.The foam tires are a must for decent handling and the gpm turnbuckles,steering assembly,hubs axles get rid of alot all the slop but like the guy before me said you can put all that money into it and still have "sport" car.I wouldn't buy the hpi traxxas is built alot better if you are looking for a rtr.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It depends on what sort of track layout are you running. If you are running in particularly small and technical track. It will shine like a star and outrun those R, RRs, RRRs,.. whatever Rs you want. But it lacks in high speed track. It is too twitchy as it is having shorter wheel base compared to kyosho, Serpent, and other makes...
Just my 02 cents with my trustworthy RS4-3...