R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Serpent Impulse 2 speed clutch

I have an Serpent Impulse with a 2 speed in it that I am trying to get going for a friend, but I am having trouble with the clutchbell. Does anybody have instructions for the installation? I can only find ones for the single speed or for the centax cllutch on Serpent's website, and I don't understand what I'm missing? Does anyone have the proper bearing sizes for the clutchbell? When I try to put a bearing in the outside of the bell, it doesn't seem to reach the crankshaft, it will not seat any further. Either I have the wrong bearing size, or I am missing something, like maybe a brass sleeve, or even possibly a thrust bearing? The picture on serpents website doesn't show these things, but I am at a loss. Thanks for the help!
BCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Sounds like you are using the Impulse PRO type 2-speed clutch housing. As long as you are sure it is not the CENTAX type clutch, all you need are 2 flange type ball bearing instead of the regular bearing without the edge...definitely NOT the thrust bearing (Thrust bearing is for centax type clutch...)

Here you should have a better look at the clutch

http://www.serpent.com/product/801020/

Download about the mannal

http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=1085

http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=1086

http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=1087
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thank you, that is indeed what I have. I had downloaded that manual before, but not printed it off, and the 2 speed instructions escaped me. I only saw the single speed until now. I think I have figured out the problem. My friend bought this used, and all of the parts were just in a bag. He did say the 2 speed had not come with it, it had been added later. I think I have the flywheel for the single speed, and it must be thicker than the 2 speed, because the clutchbell cannot come down the shaft far enough to have the outer bearing touch the shaft. I am assuming this, because the manual lists 2 separate part numbers for the fly wheels. If I am wrong, please somebody correct me. Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Tech Champion

OK...it is just way too long ago that I can't even remember it use 2 different flywheel. But here is a easy fix...

Take off your entire clutch parts....then add 0.5mm to 1mm shims onto your engine SG shaft...then place your gold color collet, then the flywheel. And see those shims will OFFSET the 2-speed used flywheel thickness...

Adjust the shim thickness accordingly....again, it was way too long ago and I can only think of this easy fix, worth a try...good luck
Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Thanks, but I have the thick fly wheel, and I need the thinner one. I would think shimming would just move it further out, and I need it closer to the block. If I am misunderstanding, please let me know. I spoke with Phil(the guy I am working on it for), and he seems to think he has the other flywheel, so hopefully that will solve all of my trouble. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCall View Post
Thanks, but I have the thick fly wheel, and I need the thinner one. I would think shimming would just move it further out, and I need it closer to the block. If I am misunderstanding, please let me know. I spoke with Phil(the guy I am working on it for), and he seems to think he has the other flywheel, so hopefully that will solve all of my trouble. Thanks again!
OH ok....I am thinking the opposite, nevermind...good luck.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Default Serpent USA Warehouse Clearance Sale

Serpent USA Warehouse Clearance Sale

Take advantage of incredible prices on spare parts for the following models

http://www.serpent-usa.com/es12801024/index.htm

For more info and to order, e-mail [email protected] or call (305) 639-9665
Paolo M is offline   Reply With Quote