R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   TZ 5 port with poor low end ?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/221774-tz-5-port-poor-low-end.html)

bboy 05-13-2008 08:41 AM

TZ 5 port with poor low end ??

I have a TZ 5 port and compared to the 3 port, it does not have as much punch at the low end. Is this normal? I like the top end when it goes into 2nd gear, but the first gear seems sluggish.

Is this the engine setting or property of a 5 port?

JayL 05-13-2008 11:14 AM

clutch spring needs more tension
or
lean the low end, or is it already as lean as you can go?
or
run a longer manifold, what pipe/mani are you running?

RevMaxx 05-13-2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by bboy (Post 4440595)
I have a TZ 5 port and compared to the 3 port, it does not have as much punch at the low end. Is this normal? I like the top end when it goes into 2nd gear, but the first gear seems sluggish.

Is this the engine setting or property of a 5 port?

normally 3-port have more low-end grunt while 5-port have the edge on top end...
what pipe are you using? pipe plays huge on throttle response ... you might wanna try different pipes also... check-out O.S. Speed T-1040 pipe made for the TZ series engines

bboy 05-14-2008 06:28 AM

I ran with a 6mm pipe. I will try the 5mm this weekend as well as a harder clutch spring. Will report back how it goes.

The 5 port was a little disappointing for now but the pipe and clutch as you suggested will help.

jameslow 05-14-2008 07:18 AM

ur clutch spring needs more tension!

bboy 05-16-2008 08:13 AM

Do you mean change to a stiffer spring, or tighten down the screw nut further?

Thanks mate.

JayL 05-16-2008 09:49 AM

tighten the clutch spring nut: if you measure from the top of the threads on the crank to the clutch spring nut and it was, say, .6mm make it .7mm.

Seisick 05-16-2008 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bboy (Post 4443619)
I ran with a 6mm pipe. I will try the 5mm this weekend as well as a harder clutch spring. Will report back how it goes.

The 5 port was a little disappointing for now but the pipe and clutch as you suggested will help.

take out the removable venturi, anyway you have a 5 port, that will make it scream also

jameslow 05-17-2008 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by bboy (Post 4450687)
Do you mean change to a stiffer spring, or tighten down the screw nut further?

Thanks mate.

u can change to a stiffer spring if ur current one is those that is really soft till u need to tighten the screw a lot!...

U might also want to change to a harder clutch shoe to prevent clutch slip

Btw i have no problem with the tz 5 port with 6.5 venturi using skyline or JPL or RB 6mm pipes.... the engine is very fast, high torque, easy to tune and have gd temp. :p:p:p

bboy 05-17-2008 10:50 AM

I changed to a harder spring and it fixed it. Now it is FAST!

Cheers.

:batman::batman::batman:

HarKonnenD 05-17-2008 06:17 PM

The TZ doesn't like to be ran with a soft clutch setup so I noticed when I got my slightly modded .12 3 port. I personally run the Mike Swauger setup with the clutch weights drilled out with a 3.5mm drill bit. It made it run like a whole new motor and the thought of purchasing a new engine was non existent.