Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Help Racing NTC3 (Parking Lot)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Need Help Racing NTC3 (Parking Lot)

A hobbytown opened up recently near me which renewed my interest in my RC cars that have been sitting. I have a NTC3 Plus RTR and it is stock and so far I have been doing pretty good. I won the touring car class last week but unfortunately when I gun it in the back stretch it gets squirrley and sometimes in the turns. So out of frustration I put in a solid front and rear axles which is no better and may be even worse. I have tried slicks, foams, and treaded tires with much of the same results. My questions to the racers who have run successfully is what is the best diff set up for running a parking lot road course? The surface is aged/glazed blacktop. Should I do standard rear diff and one-way up front or solid rear and standard up front? Also what toe in and camber do you suggest?

The car purrs and runs well I'm just trying to dial in the suspension and turning abilities of the car. I have ran off-road for years but a novice at on-road and so are the other drivers at the Sunday parking lot races.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Run diffs... both ends... and make sure that the front is much tighter than the rear. If they are nearly the same the rear end will want to lead.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Check the chassis for tweak...the stock chassis is really weak and tweaks very easy. Check all your ball mounts, they bend pretty easy. Also, make sure all you adjustments are even and correct ie. camber, toe, caster.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

yes definatly check the ball ends and cups on the steering, also check the pillow balls on the front suspension they bend very easily. Also foam is probably going to be your best bet
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

try adding a little front toe, that usually helps with my car, also have you tried laying the shocks down a postion or changing springs to sofen the rear and get more rear traction. I used to race a NTC3 at a parking lot and I was alswasy looking for rear traction it seemed.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Used to race NTC3 .. really liked it .. It used to be a very winning car a couple of years back.
I agree diff both ends tight front loose rear... they wil also need ots of TLC to keep them running sweet.
The diff casings can be a little fragile as the shock towers mount to them sokeep an eye on them.
I always ran foam .. you could try 38 shore rears with 40 shore fronts if you are struggling for grip.
3 degrees camber at the rear maybe 1 degree toe out on the front maybe 0 .. experiment for best results.

Have fun
Pip
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

I will give all those a shot. Even with my traction issue I managed to get another win last Sunday. I was slower in the turns but learned to drive around the short comings of my set up and the other drivers were not able to finish the a-main due to crashing and breakdowns so my trusty little TC3 with a squirrley rear end took home 1st place. I have a FT car coming next week that I got used so I will try it out as I like the TC3 set-up.