R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-05-2004, 12:17 AM   #796
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Switched to the 30,000wt oil in the rear and my car has plenty of on power steering. I did switch to the gold rear springs and found that it took some of it away so I went back to the stock black ones. I'm running 40shore all around.

Today was a good day for the car. I had it handling pretty decent. Just a slight off power push. Who has tips for this? I have all the caster clips behind the arm.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:25 AM   #797
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing4Evo
Switched to the 30,000wt oil in the rear and my car has plenty of on power steering. I did switch to the gold rear springs and found that it took some of it away so I went back to the stock black ones. I'm running 40shore all around.

Today was a good day for the car. I had it handling pretty decent. Just a slight off power push. Who has tips for this? I have all the caster clips behind the arm.
Well, that's exactly what the local track owner told me. Switch to the heavier oil in the rear diff and it will take off power steering away but give you on power steering.

How do you like the smaller caster angle compare to the stock setup? What difference have you noticed?

Thanks!
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:10 AM   #798
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

To be honest I really can't tell you. It's been so long since I've driven the car let alone with a different set up. This was my first time with the car since early January. I had been driving the Evolution for that time. I think I will try a harder tire in the rear like your setup. I'll post my set up when I get a chance. Where are you driving the car?
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:26 AM   #799
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing4Evo
To be honest I really can't tell you. It's been so long since I've driven the car let alone with a different set up. This was my first time with the car since early January. I had been driving the Evolution for that time. I think I will try a harder tire in the rear like your setup. I'll post my set up when I get a chance. Where are you driving the car?
I am running the car in several places. I run it in KZ and Revelation occasionally and in parking lot races. I also run the car in Taiwan at a track called Silver Stone. The KZ track is hugh built for 1/5 really. Revelation is a medium size track for both electric and gas. Silver stone is in between KZ and Revelation with large flowing corners.

The car actually works pretty well in all three tracks. A little under geared for KZ but so are every other 1/10 GP seden.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #800
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jfc_tech
So joehwee, how much already u spent on those things?
jfc_tech: Quite a bit, but you should know where I got my money...hehe
Joehwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 AM   #801
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

jefferylin: My setup is as followings;

Front:
Shock oil: Kyosho 350Wt with stock piston
Shock Length: 64.5mm
Spring: Rear Black
Shock position: Middle
Caster: Depend on track layout usually 1mm spacer behind arm
Camber: 2 degree
Toe out: 1 degree
Diff - 50,000wt
Track width: 198mm
Droop: +1mm
Ride height: 4.5mm Tyres at 63mm
Roll Bar: Flat

Rear:
Shock oil: Kyosho 450Wt with stock piston
Shock Length: 64.5mm
Spring: Kyosho Blue
Shock position(Top): Inner
Shock position (Lower): Top hole using short ball end
Roll centre: Inner Lower / Outer Top
Arm holder: L Block
Camber: 3 degree
Toe in : 3 degree
Diff - 10,000wt
Track width: 199mm
Droop: +5mm
Ride height: 5mm Tyres at 64mm
Roll Bar: usually Black , when traction very high will used either gold or copper

What tyres to use depend very much on the traction of the particular track, I usually run between 37-40 shore, same shore front and rear.
Joehwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #802
Tech Champion

any one here has durability issue with this car?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:38 AM   #803
Tech Master

Yeah

The rear diff. I made sure it was shimmed but it still wore out the gears. This was after 1 day testing.

I have ordered the steel ring and bevel gears and will probably go for the ally diff housing and ally diff casing if they do one

Cheers
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 AM   #804
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
Yeah

The rear diff. I made sure it was shimmed but it still wore out the gears. This was after 1 day testing.

I have ordered the steel ring and bevel gears and will probably go for the ally diff housing and ally diff casing if they do one

Cheers
i think this is a design fault as every one here is complaining about the stock ring gear.

how about arms and front gear box?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:50 AM   #805
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
Yeah

Cheers
I disagree. I used and abused my car for maybe 20-30 tanks without any noticable wear. I do have the steel ring gears now and they are as new after 10 tanks.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:52 AM   #806
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
how about arms and front gear box?
Never broke my arms. I did break front bulkhead and the shock tower. But that was a major crash at about 40MPH into the wall (I had no idea that the walls can move LOL).
Old 04-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #807
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Never broke my arms. I did break front bulkhead and the shock tower. But that was a major crash at about 40MPH into the wall (I had no idea that the walls can move LOL).
that happens at any track. pay attention to the racers that you race against with !!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #808
Tech Adept

Default jeffreylin

Haven't seen you at the RC HEAT races lately. I'm track designing for this program now so you know I kee the gas cars in mind. YOu have to check out the layout at Castle Park. The FW05R smokes!!!. Only about 1 second behind pro electric mods, not bad for a parking lot circuit. A good driver could probably get closer.
As far as durability goes, I was buying new front shock towers and bulheads after every crash. Then I stopped crashing and the problem went away. As far as diff gears, I am running O.E.M. gears and haven't seen much wear at all. Guess I'm lucky.
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #809
Tech Elite

Default Re: jeffreylin

Quote:
Originally posted by coldeye
Haven't seen you at the RC HEAT races lately. I'm track designing for this program now so you know I kee the gas cars in mind. YOu have to check out the layout at Castle Park. The FW05R smokes!!!. Only about 1 second behind pro electric mods, not bad for a parking lot circuit. A good driver could probably get closer.
As far as durability goes, I was buying new front shock towers and bulheads after every crash. Then I stopped crashing and the problem went away. As far as diff gears, I am running O.E.M. gears and haven't seen much wear at all. Guess I'm lucky.
Hi Mike, good to hear from you. I didn't make the RC Heat race because I've been in Taiwan for business. When is the next race? I will be back at the end of April and I hope to make the next one. Meanwhile, I have been running another FW05R at a track in Taiwan and learning more about the car. Will be racing it on Thursday night if weather permits.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #810
Tech Master

Well, this sunday, me and one other guy, we both chipped off a couple of gears from the cast bevel gear. (he used 39 tooth, and I had 40 tooth gear) We both had them perfectly shimmed and everything. I hadn't even crashed when it gave out (indeed I hadn't crashed that whole qualifier) and the teeth just chipped! The rear diff bevel gear is perfectly fine... go figure.

Oh well, hardened bevel gears here I come.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote