R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-25-2004, 02:22 AM   #706
Tech Adept

Default Thrust Bearing

Hi,

I'm building the clutch at the moment and I have a question.. One side of the thrust bearing is very slightly smaller than the other..

I am not sure which one is?? Any ideas here??

Also, if I looked enough, I didn't see any grease application for the thrust bearing in the doco? Is it OK without grease?

Thank you...
GUNPOWDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #707
Tech Elite

Default Re: Thrust Bearing

Quote:
Originally posted by GUNPOWDER
Hi,

I'm building the clutch at the moment and I have a question.. One side of the thrust bearing is very slightly smaller than the other..

I am not sure which one is?? Any ideas here??

Also, if I looked enough, I didn't see any grease application for the thrust bearing in the doco? Is it OK without grease?

Thank you...
The side with the larger I.D. goes closest to the engine. I'd think this should be in your instructions.

No, it's not OK without grease. For lubrication, I use a Moly engine assembly compound. There's some stickier stuff around which might be better, but then we've never blown a thrust bearing - touch wood.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:26 AM   #708
Tech Elite

Default Bulding Q's

I m still building my FW kit, so far its about 80% built. I have a few questions before I finish building it.

1. Is it normal for the rear center drive shaft to be fit between the cups ? The front one is a bit loose which I think is normal .

2. Before I began building the kit I checked the chassis on flat glass and it shows a perfect flat. Now when I check it (after putting front ,rear suspension and upper deck) its not flat anymore, I can see gap in the middle, its like warping a bit in the mid chassis. When I lay the upper deck it just wont lie flat to the screw holes. Could this be because of the rear center drive shaft binds the chassis?

Old 03-26-2004, 01:32 AM   #709
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Bulding Q's

It shouldn't be tight. If it is, something is not fitting right. I'd check if the rear transmission is built correctly and whether the 2 speed is built right.

Quote:
Originally posted by dameetz
I m still building my FW kit, so far its about 80% built. I have a few questions before I finish building it.

1. Is it normal for the rear center drive shaft to be fit between the cups ? The front one is a bit loose which I think is normal .

2. Before I began building the kit I checked the chassis on flat glass and it shows a perfect flat. Now when I check it (after putting front ,rear suspension and upper deck) its not flat anymore, I can see gap in the middle, its like warping a bit in the mid chassis. When I lay the upper deck it just wont lie flat to the screw holes. Could this be because of the rear center drive shaft binds the chassis?

jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:16 AM   #710
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to orangbaligila
Default Re: Re: Bulding Q's

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
It shouldn't be tight. If it is, something is not fitting right. I'd check if the rear transmission is built correctly and whether the 2 speed is built right.
mine are both snug fit, but no binding,.. i think they were meant to be like this,... less play=less wear (but not dead tight it requires you to force them when installing)

for the not so well fit upper deck,... check the servo mounting buttons (between screws there is a part of it that has a button that has to be inserted in the hole on the chassis) from underneath,... make sure it's inside the designated holes, first time I built an FW I did that mistake,...

(this might happen to an FW) after everything is installed, the wheels might sit uneven,... for some older versions, there are some mistakes in the instruction sheets, ask your LHS for possible update sheet that may be lost or forgotten to include, on FW kit over here, there are at least 4 pages of update sheets
Old 03-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #711
Tech Adept

Very easily handling car, fast turn great accelerate than my MTX3 710!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myfw05r.jpg (196.8 KB, 284 views)
boy2rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #712
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
speedmeter

guys, how do you install the venom speed meter to a fw-05R? i've lost the instructions (silly me) of the venom. hope someone could help thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-001f.jpg (109.5 KB, 208 views)
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:25 AM   #713
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Bulding Q's

Quote:
[i]
(this might happen to an FW) after everything is installed, the wheels might sit uneven,... for some older versions, there are some mistakes in the instruction sheets, ask your LHS for possible update sheet that may be lost or forgotten to include, on FW kit over here, there are at least 4 pages of update sheets [/B]
I don't understand about wheels sit uneven, can you explain pls. Mine is foam tyre version and it only comes with one update sheet the other one is set up sheet, is mine the older one? What mistakes are the in the instruction?

Anyhow I ve done building it, about the problem I posted earlier is because I made mistake building the steering servo assembly. Now, I checked the chassis again the gap reduces but it is still binding in the mid chassis. i guess I need to upgrade to a more rigid and thick chassis.

Now q's about set up. I tested the car yesterday and today. Yesterday I put my JPS5 engine and I notice during exiting a tight corner I couldn't push the throttle imediately because the car would spin. This is more noticebly during right turn. I guess it just have too much accelation. Today I put my old S5 engine and it ran very very nice, just perfect. So anybody has any set up preventing exiting corner spin when using a powerfull engine?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:41 AM   #714
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bulding Q's

Quote:
I don't understand about wheels sit uneven, can you explain pls. Mine is foam tyre version and it only comes with one update sheet the other one is set up sheet, is mine the older one? What mistakes are the in the instruction?

Anyhow I ve done building it, about the problem I posted earlier is because I made mistake building the steering servo assembly. Now, I checked the chassis again the gap reduces but it is still binding in the mid chassis. i guess I need to upgrade to a more rigid and thick chassis.

Now q's about set up. I tested the car yesterday and today. Yesterday I put my JPS5 engine and I notice during exiting a tight corner I couldn't push the throttle imediately because the car would spin. This is more noticebly during right turn. I guess it just have too much accelation. Today I put my old S5 engine and it ran very very nice, just perfect. So anybody has any set up preventing exiting corner spin when using a powerfull engine?
Try the TCD gear set for the read diff. It will give you a push but sure come out of corner strong.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:35 AM   #715
Tech Elite

Jefferylin, I ve got TCD gears from my Evo but I never try it together with front diff only use it in my Evo with Front one way. Anyhow I ve already install 39T steel ring gears at both ends and using 50K front and 30K rear. Will try the TCD combination this weekend. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #716
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to orangbaligila
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bulding Q's

Quote:

if the wheels are still uneven, check if the suspensions are moving freely (no binding at all),... the rears of the foam version (no one-way) will normally have problems with wheel axle (dog-bone) clearance, it might bind thus limiting the upward travel (maybe downward too, making the wheels sit uneven), rear default camber setting has an update sheet...

at the front, check for bindings in suspension as well,.. check the stabilizer is smooth and correctly alligned (there's an update sheet on this as well), suspension rebound setting (has an update as well)..

the chassis is hard already (but could be a lot lighter, hehe..) so I don' think it'll warp too easily,... I crashed mine several times already (hard frontal, and hi-speed side crash, and some rollover while in the heat of racing) so far, the things that I broke were the front shock-stay,.. bumper assembly, and front dogbone bent (frontal crash caused by receiver failure,.. the antenna wire was cut by the tyres after side crash), and lots of scratches below the chassis,... that's it,.. no chassis warp at all

I'll look for the values of the updated settings once I got home
Old 03-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #717
Tech Apprentice

Default One piece tuned pipe choices

Guys,

I would like to ask if anyone use a one-piece design tuned pipe that's good for Max 12? Thanks!
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:33 AM   #718
Tech Elite

Default Re: One piece tuned pipe choices

Quote:
Originally posted by jasoncsc
Guys,

I would like to ask if anyone use a one-piece design tuned pipe that's good for Max 12? Thanks!
Hey if you are in Hong Kong, you should go see Samuel of International Model in Wan Chai. He is sponsored by Kyosho and one of the top drivers in Hong Kong. He runs the FW-05R as well and can probably give you a bunch of good advice.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #719
Tech Apprentice

"On Tau", I know him. Just want to ask you guys before hopping down to shops. I know currently the one-piece pipes that fits 05R are JPL and HEC, both local brands. Anyone try these before and are they restrictive?
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:12 PM   #720
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by jasoncsc
"On Tau", I know him. Just want to ask you guys before hopping down to shops. I know currently the one-piece pipes that fits 05R are JPL and HEC, both local brands. Anyone try these before and are they restrictive?
Where can we order HEC from? Does anyone know?

Cheers,
GUNPOWDER is offline   Reply With Quote