Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-17-2004, 01:09 PM   #676
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by stradith
cool...thanks B.

The benefit of an LSD is having it fully locking the rear wheels to give you maximum power down the straight away. I haven't tried it yet, but it is simply amazing for my voner...I was hoping it would add that extra punch to that car, as we already know that it comes out of corners like a mother. I am not sure whether it will lock up too tight and cause the car to under steer, but I will give it a whirl. I am sure I could compensate somewhere else and still keep the LSD on the car...

I must say it is the best thing I have upgraded on my voner...
The LSD is a great thing to have. However, I would not get it just yet. Because the car already has a very high first gear ratio, and it is a shaft car, so acceleration and response to throttle input should be very fast. KNowing that most people in vancouver ran the V one R, many I think would be not used to the FW05R, especially when we are running at lasndown, a track with relatively low tracktion. With the LSD, the car may be slipping under acceleration. It is only my guess, but quite probable. The V one R's could have the LSD on because they are belt driven cars, so the power delivery to the ground is not as abrupt.

Just a thought
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #677
B
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by GUNPOWDER
B,

Thank you very much for your reference on this. I've ordered my FW-05R today from them...

Now all I have to do is be patient for a week..
Hey, no problemo buddy.
Have fun with the new toy when you receive it!
Their shipping is quite fast. I received a pacakge before in about 4 days.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #678
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by B
The LSD is a great thing to have. However, I would not get it just yet. Because the car already has a very high first gear ratio, and it is a shaft car, so acceleration and response to throttle input should be very fast. KNowing that most people in vancouver ran the V one R, many I think would be not used to the FW05R, especially when we are running at lasndown, a track with relatively low tracktion. With the LSD, the car may be slipping under acceleration. It is only my guess, but quite probable. The V one R's could have the LSD on because they are belt driven cars, so the power delivery to the ground is not as abrupt.

Just a thought
Hmmm...interesting thought...I don't know what the outcome will be, but I am getting the car anyways and gonna slap in the LSD and see how it reacts. I am going to take it down to Renton mostly to race...so hopefully the traction compound they use there will help out a little bit. I am sure there is a way to work around the possible slippage problem if it does exisit...Maybe I could tone down on the throttle on the corners? ...either way...stay tuned for the testing!
stradith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:07 AM   #679
B
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by stradith
Hmmm...interesting thought...I don't know what the outcome will be, but I am getting the car anyways and gonna slap in the LSD and see how it reacts. I am going to take it down to Renton mostly to race...so hopefully the traction compound they use there will help out a little bit. I am sure there is a way to work around the possible slippage problem if it does exisit...Maybe I could tone down on the throttle on the corners? ...either way...stay tuned for the testing!
I am sure that if you run on a "real" permanent track like Renton, it will work just fine.

At lasndown, worse case senario, you can just use the gearing to tune down the acceleration a bit. That should work, if the problem is big. However, i dont think it will be that big, as long as the track is blown off and have relatively good traction.
Having said that, you might still need to exercise more precise throttle control, for it may still be tricky with all that power.

Just a thought
Old 03-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #680
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by cvccsi
Foam Tires 4
Hi, i'm intending to buy the fw05r. but my concern is the fitment of foam tyres. did you do any modification before fixing the foam tyres onto the fw05r? and also, can the fw05r be fitted with Lola shell? Or can the v1rr floating body mount be fixed on the fw05r? thank you.
Ares17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:41 PM   #681
B
Tech Master

There is a foam tire version of the Fw05R that include the parts needed to fit foam tires.

I have seen lola shells used on the 05R. However, there were no instructions of how to fit it on (how to fit the floating body mount).
Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #682
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

There is no problem fitting foam tires but it's when you want to use 30mm foams in the rear that you have a problem. You need to get the longer axles and spacers for the drive hexs. This is all included in the foam tire version.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #683
Tech Apprentice

Post Foam Tire Fitment on 05R

Racing4Evo,
what are those part #'s for the rear axles and spacers and additional hardware for the rear? Or does the Evolutions rear axles and hardware work on the fw05r so the 30mm rear foams work.

Thanks,

steve
SC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #684
rjl
Tech Fanatic

FW ready for state championships next week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fw.10004.jpg (67.1 KB, 356 views)
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #685
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
OMG that brings a tear to my eye (imagine the sweat as a tear)
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:21 PM   #686
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
Betcha $1 (the one you owe me from the Vics ) you end up going back to the MTX3

DC
OZDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #687
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default FW-05R

Good move Rob, its a brilliant car......used mine on the new track lasdt race day.......excellant out of corners and dives into tyhe corner ok as well..............see the pic....
notice the Kawahara front end?..................
mike

Last edited by mikecatts; 08-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
mikecatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:07 PM   #688
Tech Master

Default FW-05R

heres the car......

Last edited by mikecatts; 08-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
mikecatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #689
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: FW-05R

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecatts
Good move Rob, its a brilliant car......used mine on the new track lasdt race day.......excellant out of corners and dives into tyhe corner ok as well..............see the pic....
notice the Kawahara front end?..................
mike
How do yoou like that front end conversion? I saw it over the weekend in Hong Kong but did not buy it as it was expensive and I wonder how well it will hold in a crash since the end piece holding the shaft is made of nylon.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #690
Tech Master

Default Kawahara front cnversion

The Kawaharra front works well........tend to notice that the car is more responsive in and out of the corners......i like it...as for the price...if you bought the Kawahara graphite shock tower,, double it and you have the conversion....as for the nylon pin holder...they are tough as........Kawaharra release well tested and manufactured products...i think it s worth the price..
mike