R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-16-2005, 02:50 AM   #5146
Tech Initiate

Hi!

I am looking for some weight saving options for next season. I already equipped my fw with rr-conversion, vsw-05b chassis plate (as light as shimo) and titanium pivot balls.

Are there any reasonable titanium screw set out there which will fit nearly all screws of the fw? How is the 3racing first-speed-holder compared to the shimo one? The original free way seems to be quite "tight" but last long. Any thoughts on the 3racing titanium main shaft and second speed holder? The last 3racing main shaft i got was way to small in diametre and had play.

Beside buying parts i thought about replacing some shafts. When i replaced the suspension shafts with titanium they bent to easily so this is no option. But the smaller 2mm "cross-shafts" used all allround the fw could perhaps be replaced with titanium or even carbon composite?

Most interesting: Kyosho offers titanium bevel shafts for the diffs (vzw211). I am tempted to try carbon composite instead of titanium. This should be even lighter (8g steel, 4g titanium, 2g carbon composite). As there are only side loads and no radial forces a solid 4mm carbon composite shaft should be able to do the job. The only thing is wear, but this should be no problem because of the lubing with the thick silicon oil and the broad alignment with the bevel gears!?
The only thing i am wondering about is that no manufacturer is offering things like this?

Comments on this ideas would be really appreciated!

Best regards,
Robert
Robert-FW05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #5147
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-FW05
Hi!

I am looking for some weight saving options for next season. I already equipped my fw with rr-conversion, vsw-05b chassis plate (as light as shimo) and titanium pivot balls.

Are there any reasonable titanium screw set out there which will fit nearly all screws of the fw? How is the 3racing first-speed-holder compared to the shimo one? The original free way seems to be quite "tight" but last long. Any thoughts on the 3racing titanium main shaft and second speed holder? The last 3racing main shaft i got was way to small in diametre and had play.

Beside buying parts i thought about replacing some shafts. When i replaced the suspension shafts with titanium they bent to easily so this is no option. But the smaller 2mm "cross-shafts" used all allround the fw could perhaps be replaced with titanium or even carbon composite?

Most interesting: Kyosho offers titanium bevel shafts for the diffs (vzw211). I am tempted to try carbon composite instead of titanium. This should be even lighter (8g steel, 4g titanium, 2g carbon composite). As there are only side loads and no radial forces a solid 4mm carbon composite shaft should be able to do the job. The only thing is wear, but this should be no problem because of the lubing with the thick silicon oil and the broad alignment with the bevel gears!?
The only thing i am wondering about is that no manufacturer is offering things like this?

Comments on this ideas would be really appreciated!

Best regards,
Robert
I would recommend Shimo and Kyosho original upgrade parts over 3Racing. As to the screws, Speedmind makes a titanium screw set for the FW05R.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #5148
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to noobatron

Hey guys,

I'm giving up nitro racing for a while so i'm selling my beloved FW-05R. The car has been fully converted over to the Kawahara ZT-1. THat includes the chassis, centre, front and rear conversions. I've only got the rolling chassis, no clutch or spares. However i do have the orginal box and all the Kawahara instructions.

PM me if you're interested, i'm lookin' to get rid of it fairly quickly.
noobatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #5149
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
I would recommend Shimo and Kyosho original upgrade parts over 3Racing. As to the screws, Speedmind makes a titanium screw set for the FW05R.
Can you elaborate why, jeffreylin? I'm in the process of buying some parts for my 05RR from an online store and most of their hop-ups are 3R Racing. It was good I came across your post when I did.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #5150
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4dwick
Can you elaborate why, jeffreylin? I'm in the process of buying some parts for my 05RR from an online store and most of their hop-ups are 3R Racing. It was good I came across your post when I did.
Shimo/Kyosho has higher and more consistent quality. Kawahara is good too.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #5151
Tech Adept

Default 3R

My experience with 3R is that the quality isn't up to par. The material used seemed to be very porous thus making the parts weaker. Kyosho uses very qaulity material, but will also relate in a higher cost. Some of the 3r stuff is decent. I had bad luck with their universals and shock towers. Good Luck!!
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #5152
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldeye
My experience with 3R is that the quality isn't up to par. The material used seemed to be very porous thus making the parts weaker. Kyosho uses very qaulity material, but will also relate in a higher cost. Some of the 3r stuff is decent. I had bad luck with their universals and shock towers. Good Luck!!
Hmm... cheaper actually means expensive and expensive is cheaper. hehehe... confused? coz if it's cheaper it breaks and you have to buy it twice or thrice, which worth more than an pricey brand.

Of course, there are a lot of cases where the quality are just the same. But due to branding mentality we may have the belief that expensive is better.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 AM   #5153
Tech Adept

Default 3r

Well put, less expensive usually means more expensive in the end.
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:22 AM   #5154
Tech Regular

and that was the reason i shiftd to GP from EP.

here's another question:
I've noticed in most sites they don't sell the carbon shock stay (front) for the 05RR (VSW037) but they do have it for the 05R (VSW004).

Do these parts fit the same or not? It would be nice if anyone actually saw these.

Regarding hop-ups:
My friend warned me not to get carried away with hop-ups. Some of them are just "bling-bling" stuff for the kit and don't pose any actual advantage with them installed. He already recommended only the shock stay, muffler holder, and spare gears in case it breaks.

Can anyone recommend parts I should keep in stock as well as parts to hop-up?

Last edited by ch4dwick; 10-17-2005 at 01:31 AM. Reason: addendum
ch4dwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 AM   #5155
Tech Elite

Quote:

here's another question:
I've noticed in most sites they don't sell the carbon shock stay (front) for the 05RR (VSW037) but they do have it for the 05R (VSW004).

Do these parts fit the same or not? It would be nice if anyone actually saw these.
They are different and not compatible.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 AM   #5156
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
They are different and not compatible.
How do they differ? I'm looking at their pictures and they don't have any evident difference.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:48 AM   #5157
Tech Master

Quote:

here's another question:

Regarding hop-ups:
My friend warned me not to get carried away with hop-ups. Some of them are just "bling-bling" stuff for the kit and don't pose any actual advantage with them installed. He already recommended only the shock stay, muffler holder, and spare gears in case it breaks.

Can anyone recommend parts I should keep in stock as well as parts to hop-up?
FW05-RR002 Centre Bulk Head, is a part worth getting. I have been running one for a good while now and it has not distorted in any way.
It also allows better acces to the gears for adjusting the changing point, it seems to let the drive train run smoother, and best of all it lifts the brake pads to the top horizontal position which keeps it away from fuel spillage (pit stops) and also appears to eliminate the sticky brake feel.

For other parts, I have tried other brands but Kyosho/Shimo are the only ones that last.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #5158
Tech Regular

what about the front and rear gearbox? Does it break easily? I was told to stock up on the ring gears as well. But before that, how would you know they were broken when you can't see them?

I guess this is the real prob with shaft cars because of the gearboxes that are enclosed. But common sense tells me this is far tougher than an exposed gearbox. But belt driven is easier to tinker with.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:04 AM   #5159
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
....also removed the throttle servo mount to the chassis to give it more chassis flex thus more chassis grip.
Nimo, did it obviously give more grip?
May be you would share your current setup and tips?

thank's
misel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:24 AM   #5160
Tech Master

Quote:
what about the front and rear gearbox? Does it break easily? I was told to stock up on the ring gears as well. But before that, how would you know they were broken when you can't see them?

I guess this is the real prob with shaft cars because of the gearboxes that are enclosed. But common sense tells me this is far tougher than an exposed gearbox. But belt driven is easier to tinker with.
Buy a pair of 37T Machined Steel Gear Diffs (VSW025), these will last a long time where as the kit Cast Steel ones wear very quickly.
Gears are available in 37t/38t/39t/40t but I found the 37t to work best for me.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote