R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-13-2005, 12:42 AM   #5131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Diva

Anybody can tell the largest pinion gears for FW05 in the market? both 1st and 2nd. Thx.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:48 AM   #5132
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva
Anybody can tell the largest pinion gears for FW05 in the market? both 1st and 2nd. Thx.
23/28 for Kyosho. Aftermarket might have bigger ones.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 AM   #5133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
23/28 for Kyosho. Aftermarket might have bigger ones.
Many Thanks.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:41 AM   #5134
Tech Regular

Some questions:

1.) I've seen some parts in the manual where you can opt to use bearings where bushings are supposed to be. Do they actually make a difference?

2.) What's the computation for the gear ration in the 05RR? Pardon the question. I couldn't find it in the manual.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:25 AM   #5135
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4dwick
Some questions:
2.) What's the computation for the gear ration in the 05RR? Pardon the question. I couldn't find it in the manual.
Spur Gear / Pinion Gear X Diff Ring Gear / Input Gear (13t)
ie: 50/21X37/13= 6.776
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #5136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

Can some one tell me the difference between the 39t ring gear in the manual VS034 and VSW018 which is also a 39t ring gear. I suppose they are made out of a different material? Also, I run on many small parking lot tracks and understand that the 05RR has lots of bottom end because of the internal gearing. Is the the 40t gear just to low for small tracks with medium traction? On these types of tracks would you all recommend laying the rear shocks down quite a bit to gain rear grip and maybe the gold spings in the front with silver in the rear?

JEFF
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #5137
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff whiting
Can some one tell me the difference between the 39t ring gear in the manual VS034 and VSW018 which is also a 39t ring gear. I suppose they are made out of a different material? Also, I run on many small parking lot tracks and understand that the 05RR has lots of bottom end because of the internal gearing. Is the the 40t gear just to low for small tracks with medium traction? On these types of tracks would you all recommend laying the rear shocks down quite a bit to gain rear grip and maybe the gold spings in the front with silver in the rear?

JEFF
VS034 and other VS Diff ring gears are made from Cast Steel, so the pitch is not perfect and they do wear.
VSW018 and other VSW Diff ring gears are made from Machined Steel, they are a much truer pitch and are a much stronger material so they cam be meshed slightly looser which lets them run freer, they also have a very low wear rate so will last a long time.

The FW05 has a very low drag in the drive train so it can put the power down much better than a belt car, but this can be a disadvantage on tracks with a low grip surface, so if you are going to use a VSW diff ring gear you may want to look at the 38T to reduce the wheelspin and set the car up for using a long 1st gear.

I ran a FW05S with GS15R and 37T VSW gears against race tuned .12 cars in the Rubber Tyre class and managed to show them up big time.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:26 AM   #5138
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

I see. Thanks NiMo. I remember a few posts back the you were running an RRR and were going through quite a few parts. Have you settled on the 05RR now as you primary car?

JEFF
Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 AM   #5139
Tech Master

RRR has been swapped for a full option FW05R.
Running the RRR has given me a new look to the FW05RR, including new set ups which has given me more front end on power bite.
The FW needs to run softer foam tyres than the RRR, but strangly when running Rubber the FW runs harder than the RRR.
I now run a double thickness rear shock tower but have also removed the throttle servo mount to the chassis to give it more chassis flex thus more chassis grip.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:39 AM   #5140
Tech Regular

Quote:
Some questions:

1.) I've seen some parts in the manual where you can opt to use bearings where bushings are supposed to be. Do they actually make a difference?
any takers on the first question?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:24 AM   #5141
Tech Master

Quote:
any takers on the first question?
anything to stop a part binding must be good.
If it's the steering plate and rear upper suspension arms then yes they do make a difference.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #5142
Tech Apprentice

I'm almost finished building my FW05RR. Can't wait to try it. I've fitted the 37 tooth bevel gears and I'm running a JP FX12 instead of the Sirio engine that came with the kit. Has anyone used the setup sheet that comes with the kit?
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho FW-05R-fw05rr.jpg  
zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #5143
Tech Regular

hey looks good, the set-up sheet is a good starting point for initiation of the fine tuning of the car on the track. your gonna like the car.

I reccomend you rotate the engine head 90 deg for air flow though.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #5144
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the tip Havy, will do that.
What do think of a good quality 2 stroke oil as an after run oil?
I have always used Motal 800 in my 2 stroke dirtbikes as its one of the best oils on the market. Would it do as an after run oil?
zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #5145
Tech Regular

After run, I use Hobbico.

As far as taking care of the motor, I just open it up every one or two races and use a dremel w/ a wire brush and go over the crank shaft, top of the pinion, com rod, and outside of the piston sleeve w/ it. Had it for a whole season, one big race maybe a second race, and a couple of practices a month. still got pinch. Not a modified motor, just an X-12 stock w/ turbo head, and the Skyline pipe is a nice match for these high power, high reving motors.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote