R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #5041
Tech Master

Just got back from a meeting at a newly opened track in the Cotswold area, and the track is a beaut.
It has gradients and elevation changes with a difference of 6ft from high to low points.
It's a very challenging drivers track that most of us overdrove at the start of the day but once you find the groove it was a buzz.
Only down side is that they only have a permit for 8 Sunday meetings a year, so they will run most of the time on a Saturday.

I TQ'd 3rd (not a single clean run), got shoved on to the grass on the 1st lap so dropped to the back, but by 5 minutes I was again 3rd, then I was handed 2nd, and then traded the lead, but disaster struck at the 12 minute mark as I drove in to the back of a slow car on the main straight (a metallic grey coloured shell with no bright bits) which saw both cars fly of the track, I tried to carry on but the battery/receiver holder came out and jammed around the back wheel.
I think they should ban dark coloured cars!!
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #5042
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg
my local track just canceled the season early because racer numbers were too low.

Fucking hell. Seems as if Nitro Sedan is going the way of CAN-AM racing, just too expensive, with no rules to put a limit to the spending people do. That sucks.
Yeah, we have that problem too but not to the extent of cancelling the season. We got around this problem by implementing the spec racing rule. That way everyone gets a fair advantage over the rich folks because they're not allowed to carry more of the parts that wear out easily. That way nobody can afford to be reckless because you only have a fixed number of stuff you can replace in your pit. (i.e. tires, gas, etc...) Most particularly the tires.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #5043
Tech Regular

What's the part number for the Universals of kyosho FW-05RR? My friend sold me a Universal shaft to replace the dogbone but it's too damn short. He claims it's for FW-05RR but I think this one is for something else. Probably a wrong part number from the store again.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:26 AM   #5044
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4dwick
What's the part number for the Universals of kyosho FW-05RR? My friend sold me a Universal shaft to replace the dogbone but it's too damn short. He claims it's for FW-05RR but I think this one is for something else. Probably a wrong part number from the store again.
VSW006 front and rear
VSW007 has shorter shaft and 2mm offset drive cup which can be used in the rear
Old 08-29-2005, 01:36 AM   #5045
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg
my local track just canceled the season early because racer numbers were too low.

Fucking hell. Seems as if Nitro Sedan is going the way of CAN-AM racing, just too expensive, with no rules to put a limit to the spending people do. That sucks.
Can you not ask them if it's not possible to split the main class in to smaller class groups?
Something like:
F1 - IC Outlaw - Any full width shell, any .12, any tire.
F2 - IC Touring - Touring shell, any .12, any tire.
F3 - IC Rubber - Touring shell, 3-port .12 only, Rubber tire only.
F4 - IC Sport - Pull-Start motors only (could also allow 4-strokes)

These classes could have their own points but could be run together in needed,like they do in full size racing, it might help get the numbers back up, and it'll give you the excuse to run a second car.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:50 AM   #5046
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ernestf
Default my FW05RR

Hi just join the 05RR family and test run the kit over the past weekend with an old Sirio 3-port engine ... handling is more like a EP class compared to my old RR / RR Evo kit. Will test run again with a Nova NSR 5-port engine this week.

http://popcornstation.com/v-web/gall...IMG0030_Medium
http://popcornstation.com/v-web/gall...IMG0031_Medium
ernestf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:55 AM   #5047
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestf
Hi just join the 05RR family and test run the kit over the past weekend with an old Sirio 3-port engine ... handling is more like a EP class compared to my old RR / RR Evo kit. Will test run again with a Nova NSR 5-port engine this week.

http://popcornstation.com/v-web/gall...IMG0030_Medium
http://popcornstation.com/v-web/gall...IMG0031_Medium
You might have cooling issues with that air filter
Old 08-29-2005, 05:12 AM   #5048
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
VSW006 front and rear
VSW007 has shorter shaft and 2mm offset drive cup which can be used in the rear
What's the short one for?

I checked this page: http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...p_other-e.html

But it only says something about rear wide foam tire. How is a rubber tire and foam tire different in the Universal drive shaft?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 AM   #5049
Tech Master

Quote:
What's the short one for?

I checked this page: http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...p_other-e.html

But it only says something about rear wide foam tire. How is a rubber tire and foam tire different in the Universal drive shaft?
Rubber tires run on wheels 21mm to 26mm wide
Foam tires run on wheels 26mm to 32mm wide
The rear hubs on the FW05RR and the V1RRR can fit these wider 32mm wheels but the rear hubs on the rest of the FW05 & V1 range can only fit up to 28mm wide wheels so an axle with a 2mm offset was made, but to keep the car to 200mm wide the hub has to be moved in towards the chassis which required a shorter drive shaft.
Another option is to use the VSW015 Universal set which has the short shaft and 0mm offset drive cup and then use 2mm offset wheels.

(confused? you will be)
Old 08-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #5050
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ernestf

Quote:
You might have cooling issues with that air filter
With touring body and hot weather, my Sirio 3port was from 105-125C in the past weekend ... seems alright but I will try to use a diff filter to see the net effect.

Thank you
ernestf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:15 PM   #5051
Tech Regular

Quote:
Rubber tires run on wheels 21mm to 26mm wide
Foam tires run on wheels 26mm to 32mm wide
The rear hubs on the FW05RR and the V1RRR can fit these wider 32mm wheels but the rear hubs on the rest of the FW05 & V1 range can only fit up to 28mm wide wheels so an axle with a 2mm offset was made, but to keep the car to 200mm wide the hub has to be moved in towards the chassis which required a shorter drive shaft.
Another option is to use the VSW015 Universal set which has the short shaft and 0mm offset drive cup and then use 2mm offset wheels.

(confused? you will be)
Actually, it made sense because of the last explanation. :P But I really can't imagine how tire widths affect the length of the shaft. I can't even imagine how that looks like once installed. Perhaps someone could provide a screenshot.

SO there's no way for me to be able to use the shorter ones on the rubber tires then?

Btw, what are these small shiny rings on the pic. I didn't have them when my friend gave it to me. Spacers? Bushings?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:27 AM   #5052
Tech Master

Quote:
Actually, it made sense because of the last explanation. :P But I really can't imagine how tire widths affect the length of the shaft. I can't even imagine how that looks like once installed. Perhaps someone could provide a screenshot.

SO there's no way for me to be able to use the shorter ones on the rubber tires then?

Btw, what are these small shiny rings on the pic. I didn't have them when my friend gave it to me. Spacers? Bushings?
For Rubber you could use either the VSW006 (long shaft short cup) or the VSW007 (short shaft long cup).
VSW006 is best for Rubber as it allows for a longer suspension arm.
VSW007 set should have 2x 2mm spacers which go between the outer bearing of the rear hub and the wheel hex.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #5053
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Me neither.... I don't use front and rear anti roll bars. I don't need them and it shaves some weight.

What oil weight do you use uaerc ? 40W ? 70W ?
i Use 500 - stock shock oil....... someone told me to use 25wt in rear and 15wt in front....

what do you think ?
uaerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:59 AM   #5054
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaerc
i Use 500 - stock shock oil....... someone told me to use 25wt in rear and 15wt in front....

what do you think ?
I've been running 35wt front and 40wt rear
Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 PM   #5055
Tech Adept

Quote:
I've been running 35wt front and 40wt rear
our setup here is usually harder springs in the front and softer in the back....... do you follow the same principle ??
uaerc is offline   Reply With Quote