R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-21-2005, 11:35 PM   #5011

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misel
Doesn't the FW05RR carry some suspension parts from the RRR?

I still have my belt car (RR evo), and like Nimo, I am experiencing the same maintenance cost & time (though without the same race result as Nimo ).

Jeffrey, don't you want to race your FW sometime? (May be you did) I would like to hear your feedback about how far an FW could fall behind a RRR and may be you did defeat lots of RRR (and some other brands of cars) in the process?
I also hope to hear these from Nimo soon.
Yes it does. It has the front steering hubs, and rear hubs from the RRR.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:15 AM   #5012
Tech Elite

Im thinking of adding a 05-rr to the stable. Any problems getting part's? i love my RRR wc and think its smoother than my wife's prospec,but from what you guys say the 05 rr should be better.(beside's I've always wanted a shaft drive.just didnt want the ntc3.) I wonder why Its not availible in the U.S.?
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:41 AM   #5013
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Im thinking of adding a 05-rr to the stable. Any problems getting part's? i love my RRR wc and think its smoother than my wife's prospec,but from what you guys say the 05 rr should be better.(beside's I've always wanted a shaft drive.just didnt want the ntc3.) I wonder why Its not availible in the U.S.?
IF you say the FW-05RR is not in the US then this proves the rumors are true. Kyosho JP has indeed been holding back on their US counterparts.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:12 AM   #5014
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by misel
Doesn't the FW05RR carry some suspension parts from the RRR?

I still have my belt car (RR evo), and like Nimo, I am experiencing the same maintenance cost & time (though without the same race result as Nimo ).

Jeffrey, don't you want to race your FW sometime? (May be you did) I would like to hear your feedback about how far an FW could fall behind a RRR and may be you did defeat lots of RRR (and some other brands of cars) in the process?
I also hope to hear these from Nimo soon.
It's a lot of work to maintain 2 cars properly at the same time. 2 sets of parts and 2 cars to service. With limited time I had to pick one and I chose the RRR. It requires less maintenance in my opinion and has a bigger set up sweet spot than the FW05RR. This is important because I do not have time to do a lot of practice and I usually go to the track and race. I also race at different tracks and RRR just adapts well in different conditions. The FW on the other hand can be great especially when you have traction but more set up changes are required to get it working right.

BTW, I am selling my FW05RR with parts and KO servos and a Novarossi NSR3 (optional). If anyone is interested please PM me. Thanks.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #5015
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
It's a lot of work to maintain 2 cars properly at the same time. 2 sets of parts and 2 cars to service. With limited time I had to pick one and I chose the RRR. It requires less maintenance in my opinion and has a bigger set up sweet spot than the FW05RR. This is important because I do not have time to do a lot of practice and I usually go to the track and race. I also race at different tracks and RRR just adapts well in different conditions. The FW on the other hand can be great especially when you have traction but more set up changes are required to get it working right.
Not sure about your comment about the FW set up changes. You're not the first guy who mentioned how hard it is to set up the FW though. But being an adaptive driver (and less experienced), I found it wasn't so hard to set it up and just drove the darn thing although I did have a little help. I had no difficulties driving it except getting used to the speed. Seasoned GP racers advised me to let the car adapt to you and not vice versa but, hey, the union of man and machine has its limits. I guess some compromises in driving really helped me understand it more.

Maybe it's just me but sometimes there are times when I just can't complain about something. These are just one of those times. hehehe...
Old 08-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #5016
Tech Adept

Default FWO5R

The fw is great until you start to over drive it. This is when the car becomes a hand full. I believe this is when drivers lose patience with its tunning window. The sweet spot is only so big and this is also why I believe kyosho drivers like the RRR better than the FW. Bigger tunning window.
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #5017
Tech Master

Coldeye is right, the tuning window for the RRR is much larger than the FW05, and the RRR also produces more mechanical grip making it more confident to drive on the edge but the rear belt and spur gear problems are doing me in.
The RRR can run 42 tyres and still have the grip an FW05 has with 37's, and changing the front roll centre makes a huge change to the handling.
For my driving style which uses diffs fornt and rear the FW05 appears to be the stonger car, this is only because of the rear belt on the RRR which just goes without warning.
I can go faster and quicker with the RRR, but the championship says I'm better with the FW05 simply because it gets to the finish line.
I will not run down the RRR, just its rear belt, the rest of the car far out runs the FW05 but as the saying goes:
To finish 1st - 1st you've got to finish.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #5018
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
Coldeye is right, the tuning window for the RRR is much larger than the FW05, and the RRR also produces more mechanical grip making it more confident to drive on the edge but the rear belt and spur gear problems are doing me in.
The RRR can run 42 tyres and still have the grip an FW05 has with 37's, and changing the front roll centre makes a huge change to the handling.
For my driving style which uses diffs fornt and rear the FW05 appears to be the stonger car, this is only because of the rear belt on the RRR which just goes without warning.
I can go faster and quicker with the RRR, but the championship says I'm better with the FW05 simply because it gets to the finish line.
I will not run down the RRR, just its rear belt, the rest of the car far out runs the FW05 but as the saying goes:
To finish 1st - 1st you've got to finish.
Well, I believe you'd have to go with your instinct. No sense in following a champ's advice if you can't muscle a car you're not used to driving. The champ is a champ because they have mastered not only the track but their kits as well. That's why I just resort to asking for their ideas instead of feedbacks of what they use. Makes it easier to emulate the concept in your racing skills. I've seen champs drive belts on EP kits and not so much as a mistake on their driving. I can't drive belts and for some reason I suck in driving EP kits at all. I've only practiced my FW a couple of times and I have never come across problems with the way I handle the car. Hooray! Maybe it was my experience with EP but my learning curve for the FW and GP as a whole is a lot faster for some reason.

Pardon the newbie question but what does it mean "tuning window"?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #5019
Tech Adept

Default ep and gp

No question about it, EP Touring Car racing will make you a very fast and smoothe nitro Touring car racer. I came from and off road back ground and I think my on road style reflects this.
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #5020

Unfortunately my Winter racing is a 1/12th scale... it helps in reaction time and such but the lil car is SO much different than the Nitro touring car in its driving style few things transfer.

hell normally takes a few weeks for me to de-learn my nitro touring driving style when I start electric in the winter
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 AM   #5021
Tech Elite

Thank's for thr replie's guy's. I've decided to go with a 05-rr and give it a try.I believe that i need to experience this shaft drive to see if i really like it over the belt. I havent really figured out wich car my driving style will favor but like you guy's i belive in trying it out. O.K. now, where do you recommend I get one of these? Anybody know a good hobby shop outside the U.S.? Thank's. C.
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #5022
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Coldeye is right driving electric will make you a much smoother driver than nitro. The fastest guy at my local track (Brendale, Australia) runs both electric and nitro and it shows in his driving style very smooth compared to all the others. But this doesn't mean you can't be a smooth driver by just driving nitro. Also a lot of the guys here run the FW-05S and R so it's a popular chassis here.
Superkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:08 AM   #5023
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkarter
Coldeye is right driving electric will make you a much smoother driver than nitro. The fastest guy at my local track (Brendale, Australia) runs both electric and nitro and it shows in his driving style very smooth compared to all the others. But this doesn't mean you can't be a smooth driver by just driving nitro. Also a lot of the guys here run the FW-05S and R so it's a popular chassis here.
Well I'm not sure about this but I absolutely sucked at EP. I don't know if it was me or the car. I did have a Tamiya Evo4 and although I had no probs with it I always had a bad case of running into problems while racing although during practice everything was fine. I must be cursed! hehehe...

After driving the FW I absolutely had no problems while driving.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 AM   #5024
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Thank's for thr replie's guy's. I've decided to go with a 05-rr and give it a try.I believe that i need to experience this shaft drive to see if i really like it over the belt. I havent really figured out wich car my driving style will favor but like you guy's i belive in trying it out. O.K. now, where do you recommend I get one of these? Anybody know a good hobby shop outside the U.S.? Thank's. C.
http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/worldmap_rc-e.html

Hope this helps.

Just a thought, if they don't have an FW over there chances are if you attempt to buy it elsewhere, you'll definitely have problems with parts.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #5025

you can order them through Kyosho America, just call them up.