R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-08-2005, 04:41 AM   #4966
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default FW05-RR

Guys,

To ask a silly question, does the FW05-RR come with steal gears in the diff or the alloy ones? I remember when the car first came out there was an issue with the gears stripping etc.

BB
Old 08-08-2005, 05:02 AM   #4967
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Guys,

To ask a silly question, does the FW05-RR come with steal gears in the diff or the alloy ones? I remember when the car first came out there was an issue with the gears stripping etc.

BB
Yes they are steel now.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #4968
Tech Rookie

I thought they still come with Alloy. You can buy the steel ring gears but cost you about $50 each
twitchki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 AM   #4969
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

i have a set of 37t steel ring gears for sale on the for sale forum

thanks
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #4970
Tech Master

They come supplied with Cast Steel diff rings, but these tend to strip.
You need to upgrade to the Machined Steel diff rings, these barely wear and greatly reduce the drivetrain drag resulting in a faster car.
I would recommend fitting the 37T Machined Steel rings, even if you are running the pull start GS15 motor.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:07 AM   #4971
Tech Adept

Have any of you guys tried running staggered ring gears at the front and rear?? i.e. 40 ring gear in front and 39 ring gear at the rear?

I have tried it and it seems to give me more overdrive at the front and thus more even tire wear from front to rear. Wonder if anyone else has tried and their findings to share.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:19 AM   #4972
Tech Adept

Had the car really dialed in during last weekend's club race and even gave some of the RRRs a good run for their money given that it was a kyosho dominated race.

Track was wide with about a 200 feet back straight and fluid in-field with couple of banks here and there.

It was probably one of my sweetest race ever if only my engine and clutch didn't fail me. but having said that the car was a dream.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:19 AM   #4973
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion
After i changed to the optioned graphite steering plate with 'A' ackerman setting and also the option graphite arms which are stiffer - i have one of the best steering controlled FW05s at the local track. Good investment and makes driving a breeze. Would highly recommend.
Hey

Thanks for the info-- Sweet.. will get that for sure - Is your graphite steering plate a Kawahara or some other brand. As Kyosho makes only the blue alloy one right ? or may be i am just a bit outdated on the parts....

Thanks again
ZiiZo
uaerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #4974
Tech Adept

No the option graphite steering plate is from kyosho. can't remember the part no. though.

One for the fellas.

Burnt a throt servo last weekend and was told that you had to add double spacers below the servo ears to lift it higher so that it's not too close to the chassis which emits a lot of heat and killed the servo. Heard this from an FW05 guru. Apparently he burnt 4 servos in 2 months before he learnt this. Interesting but expensive finding.

Also, discovered that i mutilated the back ring gear and small gear in the drivetrain. Had shim the small gear but still it got damaged. This is the option 39 steel ring gear. Any idea how this could happen even with the shimming. Was it too tight? SHould there be no freeplay at all between the Ring and small gear? Help help...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #4975
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion
No the option graphite steering plate is from kyosho. can't remember the part no. though.

One for the fellas.

Burnt a throt servo last weekend and was told that you had to add double spacers below the servo ears to lift it higher so that it's not too close to the chassis which emits a lot of heat and killed the servo. Heard this from an FW05 guru. Apparently he burnt 4 servos in 2 months before he learnt this. Interesting but expensive finding.

Also, discovered that i mutilated the back ring gear and small gear in the drivetrain. Had shim the small gear but still it got damaged. This is the option 39 steel ring gear. Any idea how this could happen even with the shimming. Was it too tight? SHould there be no freeplay at all between the Ring and small gear? Help help...
Spacers on throttle - yes that is correct, I used some little red O rings to also reduce the vibration.

Rear diff - not heard of anyone stripping the Machined Steel ones, you sure they are the Machined Steel ones and not the Cast Steel ones?
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #4976
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I actually went through 3 throtle servo's this month. Wasn't sure why until now-thanks. I bought a really high torque servo and haven't had the problem since, but I will space it a bit now.

Real men race MODIFIED!!
JoeGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:26 AM   #4977
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default fw-05rr for sale on ebay

used for only a few meets

ebay link

thanks for looking

i also have 37t steel rings if anyone is interested ??
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #4978
Tech Adept

Default Body for FW-05

Just wondering what kind of body is everyone running on there FW05.
chumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #4979
Tech Regular

protoform stratus 3.1, or mazda 6

Real men race MODIFIED!!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #4980
Tech Regular

by running a smaller ring gear are you lowering the internal ratio and essentially gearing up?

Real men race MODIFIED!!